Amaranth Cycle...Worth the Trouble?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have the funds currently to purchase either Wavegenerator or Cycle. I really like Cycle's look, and I'm hearing some really good sounds. However, I can't help but ask if this synth does anything to distinguish itself?

Obviously I'll need to invest more time in learning the workflow, etc. I'm just not entirely sure exactly what if anything makes it stand out from Nave, Iris 2, Electra, Serum, Spectral, Bazille...
Ha ha suck it!

Apostate wrote:... However, I can't help but ask if this synth does anything to distinguish itself?
Yes, it is a bitch to program. But the good thing is that it can keep you busy for a lifetime. :hihi:

Um, one day I'm going to design a patch library for it. Maybe next year. This year I'm tackling synths that don't require a PhD to operate.

Cycle is a one-of-a-kind synth. Indeed if that's what you need (which you don't, you've got tons of stuff) than you could go for it. As a quick point here, why do you even mention it in comparison to Bazille? Or Serum? Heck, almost any of those! Cycle has NOTHING in common with them. Heck, those synths barely have anything in common with EACH OTHER! :P

There's a demo for it isn't there? Software's expensive, just demo it and decide based on what you see yourself. Read the manual (or is there one for Cycle? I forget!).

KingTuck wrote:Cycle is a one-of-a-kind synth. Indeed if that's what you need (which you don't, you've got tons of stuff) than you could go for it. As a quick point here, why do you even mention it in comparison to Bazille? Or Serum? Heck, almost any of those! Cycle has NOTHING in common with them. Heck, those synths barely have anything in common with EACH OTHER! :P

There's a demo for it isn't there? Software's expensive, just demo it and decide based on what you see yourself. Read the manual (or is there one for Cycle? I forget!).
There is a very bare bones tutorial. Nothing I would call a manual. At least I haven't found one.

KingTuck wrote:Cycle is a one-of-a-kind synth. Indeed if that's what you need (which you don't, you've got tons of stuff) than you could go for it. As a quick point here, why do you even mention it in comparison to Bazille? Or Serum? Heck, almost any of those! Cycle has NOTHING in common with them. Heck, those synths barely have anything in common with EACH OTHER! :P

This post actually helped me a lot. I think you're completely right, thank you.
Ha ha suck it!

Apostate wrote:

No problem at all! :)

BTW just as a totally my opinion kind of thing, I'd go for Wavegenerator if you're set on getting a new synth. It has more in common with some of the ones you mentioned, but IMO it's a more useful synth than Cycle.

KingTuck wrote:
Apostate wrote:

No problem at all! :)

BTW just as a totally my opinion kind of thing, I'd go for Wavegenerator if you're set on getting a new synth. It has more in common with some of the ones you mentioned, but IMO it's a more useful synth than Cycle.
That decides it! I knew I'd be better off with the 'generator. This completely accomplished what I wanted with this thread, many thanks.
Ha ha suck it!

cycle is unique in a lot of way, spend one week on it, and after, all is ok, make sound with cycle is a reel "plaisir"
the wrong side, you can have some crash, i'm waiting for flextion by jobomusic
Cycle is like, for me, harmor with time domain manipulation(phase,freq,wave....so powerfull), the unisson is great too, don't be afraid by the beast, it s just a synth, a powerfull synth:) you can make subtractive, additive,wavetable, fm... tone so easy but for maximum playability you must know where you want to go, and after the programming process is really quick, the develloper is a great sound designer too, he knows what he do, i'm waiting for the version 2 ! i you search the "simplicity"(with a lot of power) you can test electra2, it works like a charm and it more conventional, you can 't go wrong with Serum, Spectral and Bazille too (they are all 'must have" to be honest-

Cycle completely crashed my computer twice, forcing manual shut down. Things are looking bleak, as I haven't had that kind of problem in years, and I own all kinds of East West fer chrissakes lol!
Ha ha suck it!

Apostate wrote:Cycle completely crashed my computer twice, forcing manual shut down. Things are looking bleak, as I haven't had that kind of problem in years, and I own all kinds of East West fer chrissakes lol!
Why are things looking bleak? You just said that it was decided and you're gonna get Wavegenerator. :scared:
[Insert Signature Here]

bailees7irish wrote:
Apostate wrote:Cycle completely crashed my computer twice, forcing manual shut down. Things are looking bleak, as I haven't had that kind of problem in years, and I own all kinds of East West fer chrissakes lol!
Why are things looking bleak? You just said that it was decided and you're gonna get Wavegenerator. :scared:
You're right, that wasn't very specific. Bleak in that I'll probably not be finishing out the demo time on Cycle. The extra complexity intrigued me, but it really doesn't seem worth it overall. Glad I listened and bought the 'generator, I'm into the manual now and loving that synth!
Ha ha suck it!

They will coming a Cycle 2 with image synthesis and more ;)
Synth Anatomy
http://www.synthanatomy.com
Sound Design and Software / IOS Synthesizer Videochannel

MillerSam wrote:They will coming a Cycle 2 with image synthesis and more ;)
It's certainly an interesting synth, it just seems really, dangerously buggy. However, perhaps they'll iron out things with the upgrade (or whatever they have planned).
Ha ha suck it!

I've not encountered any such bugs with it (it seems pretty bug free for me)

Return to “Instruments”