could someone make a visual studio project setup guide for vst 3 sdk?

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A tutorial like that would help all the people who know c++ well enough but don't know how to don't know the visual studio environment and save so much time for some people.

Perhaps this can help you.

http://teragonaudio.com/article/How-to- ... tudio.html

I actually recently started to use the JUCE framework and the IntroJucer, which automatically sets up all the IDE properties across platforms and takes care of all the plugin setup stuff, among other things.

I highly recommend at least trying out JUCE. It makes creating plugins extremely easy and allows you to easily create custom GUIs. It actually has a GUI designer that makes creating GUIs even easier, but it's easily done with straight code. The designer does make it easy to create your layout though so you can position things easily.

I just started using JUCE like 2 weeks ago, and C++ a few months ago, and I can already make simple plugins like synths and effects. I have experience with DSP in Reaktor, but I had none in actually programming plugins. JUCE has made that experience very pleasing. I can actually focus on the design, algorithms, and features instead of worrying about the actual plugin formats, platform specific details, etc. I can write a single project and it'll work the same across platforms and across plugin formats. You should try it out, if you haven't already. It's quite addicting. :)

thanks I really would like to try it but I had so much trouble when I tried it a few weeks ago and I want to be able to sell my plugins. I am absolutely awful when learning a new framework I find it really hard but it looks like it's my last hope because I can't even get the sample AGain plugin to work which steinberg themselves made, pretty funny.

Ha. Man I almost felt the exact same way. Then I took the time to study C++ by reading Programming Principles and Practice Using C++ by Bjarne Stroustrup for a couple months. When I came back, JUCE was so easy to use it was crazy. I promise you, if you take the time to learn it you'll be glad you did. It provides just about everything you need to make plugins or any kind of app (besides the audio algorithms). I seriously urge you to give it a try.

By the way, you can sell your plugins. You have to pay, but once you learn what JUCE does for you and will let you accomplish, that won't even matter. It's a pretty small price to pay compared to the time you'd spend on the things it does for you. Plus, I can almost guarantee everything it does will be better than what you come up with yourself. Jules is a real genius when it comes to framework stuff. I'd be glad to help you out of you want to message me on Facebook or something. I'm a beginner to so I know how it is.

Here's my Facebook. I can try to walk you through anything that I can. I can also give you all the resources I know of for learning.
https://m.facebook.com/jordan.harris.946?ref=bookmark

By the way, are you experienced with C++ at all?

That's the issue. Before considering selling your product, please ensure that you master the tools required to build your plugins. Don't skip steps, as I've said, start with mastering C++, then audio processing in C++ and finally VST plugins. Don't go for the last one before the other two, as you will struggle and annoy people that want to help you.

wouldn't matter if I was Bjarne Stroustrup himself, if a library is so poorly documented like vst3 and there are so few samples how can I learn how it works and what stuff I need to call? anyways I'm using wdl-ol now so I don't have to worry about it I can just get down to the audio processing and gui programming, documentation is still crap but hey. I remember last time I made a vst on vst2 everyone kept telling me to learn more of the language but yet the problem I was having was I had to call some arbitrary function "input->invalid();" on my CTextEdit because it wasn't updating and it wasn't mentioned anywhere that I needed to do this. I don't see how reading books will help me on stuff like that unless someone writes a vst3 book. I thank you jordan very much, I will contact you very soon when I switch to JUCE.

Because that would at least make you understand what a shared library or a astatic library is, not to mention the differences in runtimes.

patience is what you need by the sound of it. FWIW Will Pirkle's latest book has a good introduction to VST3:
http://www.focalpress.com/books/details/9781138787070/

I really appreciate this, I'm definitely buying this!

I love Will Pirkle's app notes. There's some awesome knowledge on filters there. I wish I had the money to buy his books. I wonder how useful it is if you don't use RackAFX though. From the book previews I've seen, it doesn't seem like you'd really need to use RackAFX to get the most out of the book. That was just previews though, so idk. I personally really don't like RackAFX. It does seem nice for a bit of a more rapid development though.

Will's books are fantastic!

The RackAFX software is very nice for fast prototyping of your core algorithm. Even if you prefer your plug-ins to be built with a different framework/library (such as JUCE, which I use as well) using RackAFX in my opinion makes it a little easier and faster to get the ball rolling. And from there, converting over to another framework is pretty simple once you understand the mechanics of the plug-in & what the RackAFX functions will look like in the new framework.
Hey! Check out my first plug-in (Haa5) at http://www.apexaudio.org Sounds great, and it's just $10 (or free, or whatever price you want to pay)!

I've just finished ready the first of Pirke's books. It is interesting from a signal processing point of view (although there are inconsistencies and errors in terms definitions), but the worst is the code itself. Not a book I would recommend at all.

Miles1981 wrote:I've just finished ready the first of Pirke's books. It is interesting from a signal processing point of view (although there are inconsistencies and errors in terms definitions), but the worst is the code itself. Not a book I would recommend at all.
What's wrong with the code? I don't really like his coding style (particularly his naming conventions), but I haven't seen enough of it to know how the book code is.

Yeah, the Hungarian notation is a really bad idea, but then the whole second chapter is even completely wrong. He's confusing C/C++ libraries with the way they are being used, the API itself is the worst possible for performance. Not even mentionning the crappy __stdcall nonsense.
Then, the idea of a GUI to help wiriting plugins is a really good idea, it's just that in a way he did what the OP here did: skipped a few steps in his understanding of computer science and fast code.

Is there a book you would recommend?

As a beginner, I found Pirkle's first book to be the best and most practical (at the time as I haven't read newer books). No, you don't have to use RackAFX to learn from it, as a lot of what is written is generic DASP to implement yourself.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”