Omnisphere bug - anyone else not able to type the space bar character?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

AJYoung wrote:I'm on windows, v4.78 (latest update). This is what I'm talking about:
Ahhh, great find. (This should really be in the per-plugin compatibility options in the Add FX browser not, the FX Chain window.)
Dax Liniere - producer | mixer | engineer - London

Trancit wrote:
Kriminal wrote: Orion does this, its fuckin annoying.
FL Studio doesn´t do this...it´s fuckin´annoying...

How can it be something good, if a plugin steals keyboard focus for every key as soon as it is in front???

Say you are working on a sequence triggering a synth like Synthmaster (which i.e. steals the keyboard focus entirely)...
You´ve got the synth´s GUI open to adjust some parameters and you want to playback your little sequence from time to time to see how it sounds, but you want to have the sequence stop as long as you do some more complex work on your synth patch...

Use transport controls on your kybd controller or use the mouse.

Kriminal wrote: Use transport controls on your kybd controller or use the mouse.
I don´t know, where you held your hands while working in a sequencer :-)

For me personaly, my left hand is less than a millisecond away from the spacebar, while transport controls are "far" away in this comparison...

And about the mouse... I use it to move the controls in the plugins GUI in this moment and don´t want to move nearly over the whole screen and back again just to do such a simple task...

What do you use more often??? The sapcebar for naming a preset or starting and stoping the sequencer??? 8)

Well, i never use the space bar for start/stop. I hardly use any kybd shortcuts really. What i hate doing is having to press ctrl+alt+space when im naming presets and writing a description etc.

Trancit wrote:This is not a bug but a feature... and one, which makes perfectly sense...

While for most people it isn´t that hard to type Shift+Space instead for naming something in a plugin, it´s a pita if your are used to press space for start and stop of the sequencer like I do... and Reaper is one of the only ones, in which that even works with a plugin in front stealing badly the keyboard focus...

I hope, more developers would implement the space bar like this and in Reaper it will never change...
A feature for idiots, maybe..

This should not be a setting, or a "feature" implementation. It is pure, simple, logic. While a text box - ANY text box - is active, space bar means space. When no text box is open, space bar can mean other things, in the case of a DAW, start/stop. This is not difficult, and I'm BAFFLED that such a gross mistake can still persist in version 5.x of a product.

The "work-around" of pressing shift-space is far from acceptable. The "work-around" of selecting "Send all keyboard input to plugin" is only marginally more useful, although, as with so many other settings, this should at least be offered as a GLOBAL default, and not something I'm forced to do every time I add a plugin.

I'm not sure if the host can know if plugin has an active text area or not. One of "benefits" of an opaque standard such as VST, I suppose.

EvilDragon wrote:I'm not sure if the host can know if plugin has an active text area or not. One of "benefits" of an opaque standard such as VST, I suppose.
It absolutely can. I realize Steinberg invented VST, but I can't imagine they'd leave in a "back door" for themselves that others can't exploit, and even my previous doubt, the horrifyingly out-of-date Cubase SE3, has no problem using the space bar as start/stop, UNLESS a text-edit is open.

And as for..:
Trancit wrote:How can it be something good, if a plugin steals keyboard focus for every key as soon as it is in front???
That's true, that's no good. But that's not what we're asking for, and you know it. There's a HUGE difference between a plugin merely "having focus" and "a text input being open".

Oh hey this old thread. From a year and a half ago. Switched DAW's since then, and FL is a little wonky with this, although it got better with the new option in 12.4
Free BassTables for Xfer Serum 1 | 2
2016 Synthmaster Song Contest Winner Presets

Return to “Instruments”