Idea for remote collaborative work using Bitwig

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I still don't have Bitwig, so please forgive me if I missed out on my research.

One thing that was a blessing on Protools and a hassle with Cubase/Nuendo, is the ability to import a track to the mixer, fully loaded either with audio and/or the entire processing/automation info. Brilliant inter-project feature for long recording sessions, especially multitrack acoustic drums... but also for remote studio work.

I had a thought of a "github" style feature, where one could "commit" work to a main branch. This needn't be so complex as the hub creating project forks (but why not, if you fancy?), but would allow multiple people to work on the same project without the nightmare of dropboxing, gobbler, numerous duplicate folders/audio files, and sometimes near impossible roll-back certain aspects of a project without compromising posterior work, and again, the nightmare of individual bouncing/manual export of tracks.

A simple option for musicians to open up a track(s) and record audio/midi/chains/automation, and send that track out, would be wonderful though. Is it possible?

I think before that I'd like to see some versioning of the project file, it's not like it is a very large file - a sequence of backups would be very useful sometimes.

Hey GhostPlayer and dckyoto,
nice Ideas. If you want to get an answer from the Bitwig team, better write to tech support:
http://www.bitwig.com/en/support/tech-support.html
I know they're reading this forum and at least sometimes they drop a post here or there. But they might don't answer every question here.

Cheers!

+1 for Versioning

I already contacted support with a FR about GIT style project versioning, but the more often they read about it, the higher the chance they'll start thinking about it. This kind of Versioning would be quite unique in any DAW.

In the meantime I'll cluster my harddrive with multiple project versions... (e.g. MyProject_V01, MyProject_V02, MyProject_V03...). Full non destructive editing has way to go in any DAW yet ;-)
This could be your ad!

Dropbox versioning is good enough for me. All previous versions are kept up to 30 days which is usually more than enough.

Having it builtin to Bitwig would be a nice plus though on the rare occasion I needed the old version of a very old project.
SW: Cubase 9.5 | Komplete 11 | Omnisphere 2 | Perfect Storm 2.5 | Soundtoys 5
HW: Steinberg UR28M | Focal Alpha 50 | Fender Jazz Bass | Alesis VI25

Actually for realtime online collabiration i think bitwig allready have great ideas for something like that for 2.0! To be able to mix on same song same time need some serious networking ideas and its one of their flagship features together with modulation system to Change devices. I am more curious on how they implement what gona be more then whats not in bitwig atm. Sure feature request is nice but i love to se bitwigs take on this before anything other! Its like my imagination is limited to what kind of things they do to what they will release! Like open a project into a project like a group.. Who thought of that before... But nice giving ideas though :)
desktop: windows 10 x64, i5 4690k, 32gb ram 1600mhz, 2x ssd 128 gb +2x3 tb, asus gtx 970, asus proz gamer motherboard, no external audiocard
laptop: windows 10 x64, i7 mq4700, 12gb ram 1600mhz, 1 tb, asus gt 750

Return to “Bitwig”