RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just wonderin'

System Req: Windows 7 x64/x86 SP1 + platform update
What is that "platform update"?
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

xNiMiNx wrote:
MaxSynths wrote:because S1 refused to start without an updated version of Win7 (don't know why and what was looking for...).
(bolded by me)

Screw updating. Its Win 7 SP1 + KB2670838.

Now search the net for KB2670838.

Piss off Presonus, or get MS's cock out your mouth.
So you tell Presonus to piss off and get MS's cock out of their mouth, because they make it mandatory to have an update installed which improves the performance of graphics and picture components? And what's this refusal to update Windows all about? And most important, do you expect them to disregard everything that came after the Windows release, and test their DAW on computers which have no updates installed? Gotta wonder about KVR sometimes. :roll:

Btw, regarding the "loads of issues" you found on the net about the update. You know, there's support forums on the net, and those are full of people filing issues. That doesn't necessarily means there have to be problems though, and considering the amount of people wondering about the message to install the platform update seems to be rather small, it looks like most people have the update on their computers and have no issues.

xNiMiNx wrote:
24MTS wrote:Thank you for informing xNiMiNx - I did not know, neither did I ever have any problems with Win7 updates. So, there is a little bit more information for me, thanks.
If you arent being sarcastic, youre welcome.
24MTS wrote: I don't understand your side note though. I did notice what thread we are in, what has got to do with anything? If you ask did I upgrade, no, I did install the demo but I will not update just for a while. I am still on v2.
My side note is just pointing out that updating is a question, as in, not everyone does it as soon as there is an update availible. Saying that people who dont update are unhappy... Ive worked in IT, ive seen MS updates that 'cure vulnerabilities' or fix 'issues', that cause more vulnerabilities or issues. This is why i have not run 'auto updates' for the past... decades?

If you didnt have issues, im genuinely happy for you, but that doesnt make it reality for 100% of users.

Cool updates in v3? Yup. Will i go through the payment and OS updates that they require? Nope.
Alright, makes sense! And I know how frustrating is when it happens. To me simply did not happen this time...
------------
...and that's all I have to say about it!

Anybody calling the Arranger Track "pattern sequencing" clearly has never spent any time doing actual pattern sequencing.

The animated Gif posted a page or two back destroys any argument on this matter (thank you, Robert Randolph. I'd love to hear a Presonus spokesperson respond to that). The fact that it was made from an S1 demo song just makes the whole thing laughably bad. They want to add a low-functionality tool, fine, but hyping it like some kind of breakthrough is just embarrassing. Even more embarrassing are the people who swallow that kool aid and post here asserting that S1 now has Pattern-based Sequencing. :roll:

chk071 wrote:So you tell Presonus to piss off and get MS's cock out of their mouth, because they make it mandatory to have an update installed which improves the performance of graphics and picture components? And what's this refusal to update Windows all about? And most important, do you expect them to disregard everything that came after the Windows release, and test their DAW on computers which have no updates installed? Gotta wonder about KVR sometimes. :roll:
Ok, so its a performance update, that isnt mandatory for windows (according to MS), but then they make it a preq for IE 11? Sounds legit.
chk071 wrote:Btw, regarding the "loads of issues" you found on the net about the update. You know, there's support forums on the net, and those are full of people filing issues. That doesn't necessarily means there have to be problems though, and considering the amount of people wondering about the message to install the platform update seems to be rather small, it looks like most people have the update on their computers and have no issues.
What? Are you serious or just trolling? People are filing on support forums, but they dont really have a problem? They just randomly all picked KB2670838, and made up different problems?

Search the net yourself, and read all the issues, or you know, be uninformed and sit on kvr telling people YOU didnt have a problem so the problems must not be real, and update update update.

CNET actually put a warning out to their users about this KB.

Alert from CNET Staff:
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6132_102-58 ... kb2670838/

Again, if you dont have problems, thats cool im happy for you. That still doesnt make it work for everyone else.

KVR Audio Forum Signature is currently unavailable for your web browser.

It's just software. :)

Again, I've found a few good uses for it for me. I'd never imply it would be the same for everyone and I don't buy software, any software, based on marketing, word of mouth, or praises from internet strangers. :hihi:

Some people love it, some people hate it, some people hate those who love it, some love those who hate it, or love those who love it, or hate those who hate it. It's kinda always that way ... all the time... for every major daw release ever ... isn't it? :shrug:
Last edited by LawrenceF on Fri May 29, 2015 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mholloway wrote:Anybody calling the Arranger Track "pattern sequencing" clearly has never spent any time doing actual pattern sequencing.

The animated Gif posted a page or two back destroys any argument on this matter (thank you, Robert Randolph. I'd love to hear a Presonus spokesperson respond to that). The fact that it was made from an S1 demo song just makes the whole thing laughably bad. They want to add a low-functionality tool, fine, but hyping it like some kind of breakthrough is just embarrassing. Even more embarrassing are the people who swallow that kool aid and post here asserting that S1 now has Pattern-based Sequencing. :roll:
The worst part, IMO, is that all it's doing is snipping and pasting at marker points (which already existed with macros!).

It just baffles me to think that enough people at Presonus thought this was amazing enough to label it a major new feature. :cry: Even their demo songs can't even be properly arranged using the feature!

Robert Randolph wrote:The worst part, IMO, is that all it's doing is snipping and pasting at marker points (which already existed with macros!).!
Wow Robert. :shrug: You seem to be on a crusade of sorts here as what you say above is most certainly not true. Go to 2.x and make some macros that rearrange whole song sections via drag and drop while the arrangement auto-ripples without doing anything else. Good luck with that. I probably know S1's macro system as well as anyone so I know better.

Not saying the new feature is like "the bomb" or anything :hihi: , but it's certainly not something that already existed already with macros.

I get it. The professional marketeers piss you off. :) Ignore them?

mholloway wrote:Anybody calling the Arranger Track "pattern sequencing" clearly has never spent any time doing actual pattern sequencing.
True. It's not. It may be the foundation for pattern sequencing there in the future, maybe they're laying the groundwork for that, but I think one would have to either be blind or greatly confused to call that pattern sequencing.

But here we are, people arguing about something that's obvious to anyone with at least one good eye and the demo. :lol:

Excuse my edits. I'm mildly dyslexic. I often notice I've put words in the wrong postilions after I post.

LawrenceF wrote:
Robert Randolph wrote:The worst part, IMO, is that all it's doing is snipping and pasting at marker points (which already existed with macros!).!
Wow Robert. :shrug: You seem to be on a crusade of sorts here as what you say above is most certainly not true. Go to 2.x and make some macros that rearrange whole song sections via drag and drop while the arrangement auto-ripples without doing anything else. Good luck with that. I probably know S1's macro system as well as anyone so I know better.

Not saying the new feature is like "the bomb" or anything :hihi: , but it's certainly not something that already existed already with macros.

I get it. The professional marketeers piss you off. :) Ignore them?
Macro #1 - select all tracks, select range between markers, copy, delete time.

Macro #2 - Paste insert. I forget how this one works, but I have it on another system. I recall that there was something funny about how it worked. I believe you should be familiar with it though

Only issue is that it doesn't move the markers with it, but you can add marker deletion to the first macro and marker creation to the selection to the second macro. edit: Right, it messes up your relational markers as well. Forgot about S1 not adjusting markers when deleting time :x

AFAIK you could do this with event boundaries instead of markers as well.
Last edited by Robert Randolph on Fri May 29, 2015 6:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

This also brings us to something else... S1 still doesn't have native paste insert or shuffle/ripple editing.

xNiMiNx wrote:
chk071 wrote:Btw, regarding the "loads of issues" you found on the net about the update. You know, there's support forums on the net, and those are full of people filing issues. That doesn't necessarily means there have to be problems though, and considering the amount of people wondering about the message to install the platform update seems to be rather small, it looks like most people have the update on their computers and have no issues.
What? Are you serious or just trolling? People are filing on support forums, but they dont really have a problem? They just randomly all picked KB2670838, and made up different problems?
No. What i was trying to say was that the net is full of problems people have with Windows. But that doesn't mean that everyone has problems with it. Why do you post on the net? Because you have problems. That's why there's Windows help forums, and technical help forums. But that doesn't mean everyone has a bluescreen because of a Windows update. In fact, the fewest people have. Updates are there to fix stability issues, or security issues, or improve performance or add features to the OS. That's why it's always being highly recommended to update fequently, and rightly so.

Robert Randolph wrote:.....
Let it go man, you're grasping at straws.

Like I said, no matter how you try to spin it, there is no way to just drag and drop rearrange things with macros. If there was, people would not have been asking for an easy and more automatic way to do that in the feature request forum, and yes, some people were asking for that, the easy button. And IIRC, "Delete Time" didn't even or always even account for everything in v2.

And in case you didn't notice, arrange blocks are also essentially a secondary set of "markers"? How do you macro that, two completely independent sets of markers? Jesus man, it's ok not to find them useful but to suggest all they did was duplicate something already easily possible in v2 is kinda silly.

LawrenceF wrote:
Robert Randolph wrote:.....
Let it go man, you're grasping at straws.

Like I said, no matter how you try to spin it, there is no way to just drag and drop rearrange things with macros. If there was, people would not have been asking for an easy and more automatic way to do that in the feature request forum, and yes, some people were asking for that, the easy button. And IIRC, "Delete Time" didn't even or always even account for everything in v2.

And in case you didn't notice, arrange blocks are also essentially a secondary set of "markers"? How do you macro that, two completely independent sets of markers? Jesus man, it's ok not to find them useful but to suggest all they did was duplicate something already easily possible in v2 is kinda silly.
I'll agree that my assessment was unfair to the developers that spent time implementing this. It is a good step forward, and hopefully they improve it.

Unfortunately, it's still useless for all but the simplest arrangements.

Robert Randolph wrote:I'll agree that my assessment was unfair to the developers that spent time implementing this. It is a good step forward, and hopefully they improve it.
Thanks for that. Not for them, just for me (our discussion). I think common sense should always rule no matter how much we like or dislike something. :tu:
Unfortunately, it's still useless for all but the simplest arrangements.
I disagree, as I said like 4 times I'm finding it useful for automation passes. The other part of having a common sense discussion is recognizing that people are different and view things very differently.

A lot of things people like are useless for me so I pretty much ignore them... like "Tape Stop FX". I've never done one and likely never will... it has no use at all for me... but the planet is pretty diverse. :tu: And yes, I saw a guy or three moaning about that already... "How can you do a major update and not have 'speed fades' like Logic?!?!" For me it's a useless feature, for them it's (apparently) a deal breaker.

Thanks Robert.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”