Electric Guitar with Leslie, how to mix for mono compability...?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have been plagued for quite a while from this problem. One of the sounds I use most often is an electric guitar sound with leslie effect (from ReFX Slayer). It sounds incredible but the problem is that when listening in mono, the thing sounds very muddy/blurry and reduces a lot in volume.

In slayer you dont have dry/wet control, but I found a workaround, I have two slayers in ableton instrument rack, one with Leslie effect enabled and another with disabled, then I just reduce the leslied guitar volume until I have a good mono compability.

But I guess that leslie is used a lot in rock, heavy, etc... so how is usually a guitar with Leslie effect mixed so that it sounds good both in mono and stereo...?

I think it's hard not to get artifacts from this kind of phasing that is part of it.

Usuall problem for me using plugins for leslie is that they are full stereo width - and I use Waves S1 to move that to 1100-1400 hours or so - in that way you don't have equal amount on left and right that cancel each other out in a bad way.

And you can use that kind of plugins to experiment and find a sweet spot to where mono is ok.

You can also try Xils Lab LX122 Premium - where you can place mikes in various ways in different rooms around the leslie - and find a sweet spot that way. So you can balance left/right in any setting you like that way. I really like the sound of that leslie sim.

Return to “Production Techniques”