Studio One 3: Did you upgrade?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

LawrenceF wrote:
Robert Randolph wrote:I'll agree that my assessment was unfair to the developers that spent time implementing this. It is a good step forward, and hopefully they improve it.
Thanks for that. Not for them, just for me (our discussion). I think common sense should always rule no matter how much we like or dislike something. :tu:
Unfortunately, it's still useless for all but the simplest arrangements.
I disagree, as I said like 4 times I'm finding it useful for automation passes. The other part of having a common sense discussion is recognizing that people are different and view things very differently.

A lot of things people like are useless for me so I pretty much ignore them... like "Tape Stop FX". I've never done one and likely never will... it has no use at all for me... but the planet is pretty diverse. :tu: And yes, I saw a guy or three moaning about that already... "How can you do a major update and not have 'speed fades' like Logic?!?!" For me it's a useless feature, for them it's (apparently) a deal breaker. :hihi:

Thanks Robert.
I think there's probably a disconnect happening when I say 'all but the simplest arrangements'. A lot of genres of music, or sound production have simple arrangements. There's nothing wrong with it, and I'm not trying to be insulting.

What I'm trying to convey is that any time you have an arrangement where there aren't very well-defined borders, the arrangement track will "break" your sequence. I know you're aware of this, but given how it's marketed (and documented!) it is not immediately obvious how limited it is. It's not really just about having a feature that isn't useful as much as it is about one that can be deceptively harmful to your production and confusing.

Of course there's the annoyance that there were some almost universally requested features that didn't get implemented, yet the arranger track did. They could have at least had the arranger track on par with Cubase's, which isn't even the nicest available. They also could have at least made sure their own demo songs worked with the arranger track :lol:

Besides all that, how are you using it for automation passes? I missed that.
Last edited by Robert Randolph on Fri May 29, 2015 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

chk071 wrote:No. What i was trying to say was that the net is full of problems people have with Windows. But that doesn't mean that everyone has problems with it. Why do you post on the net? Because you have problems. That's why there's Windows help forums, and technical help forums. But that doesn't mean everyone has a bluescreen because of a Windows update. In fact, the fewest people have. Updates are there to fix stability issues, or security issues, or improve performance or add features to the OS. That's why it's always being highly recommended to update fequently, and rightly so.
Youre right, it doesnt mean everyone has a problem, but it still doesnt mean it works for everyone. 70% of users having a smooth update does nothing for the people sitting on BSODs, performance issues, IE not launching, fuzzy text graphics, etc.

Search the net for 'microsoft botched update' and you can see the history. This isnt imaginary. Its not just for home users either, theres times when servers were infected with MS errors, taking down corporate networks. Maybe if you worked in IT and had to deal with this type of thing first hand, and be the one responsible for fixing what they (MS) broke with an update you might feel differently.

The KB in question here, isnt mandatory for windows. If it makes windows perform better, wouldnt they make it mandatory? Dont they want their OS to perform well? Its a preq for installing IE 10 & 11. Why would i want an IE 'performance' patch that has been found to hurt performance on multiple systems, for a DAW?

Seems like a dumb move imo for Presonus to use this specific patch as mandatory. People reporting performance hits between v2 and v3 might actually be seeing the ill effects of this KB, and not the performance of S1. But you know which is the first to be blamed.

KVR Audio Forum Signature is currently unavailable for your web browser.

xNiMiNx wrote: Seems like a dumb move imo for Presonus to use this specific patch as mandatory. People reporting performance hits between v2 and v3 might actually be seeing the ill effects of this KB, and not the performance of S1. But you know which is the first to be blamed.
Pretty sure most of the people having performance hits are in OS X, so I don't think that update is particularly influential.

Reading here, that update is from february 2013: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2670838/de-de Didn't they sort it out by now? I would imagine if there was a conflict with some hardware/driver configuration, either the hardware manufacturer would have sorted it out by now, or Microsoft patched it up.

Edit: It's also written there that you could install the respective update, and use the drivers listed if you run into problems.

chk071 wrote:Reading here, that update is from february 2013: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2670838/de-de Didn't they sort it out by now? I would imagine if there was a conflict with some hardware/driver configuration, either the hardware manufacturer would have sorted it out by now, or Microsoft patched it up.
I have no idea if they fixed it yet. There are security flaws in network and usb that have been around since the 1990's that arent patched yet, so MS leaving a known issue that doesnt affect the majority seems plausible. A lot of computer savvy people figured out how to solve the problem on their own back then, by avoiding that KB and not using IE 10 / 11.

What i do know is that its a KB related to a web browser, not the OS. I know people have had varying issues specific to that KB.

Mandatory web browser KB's (flawed on top) for a DAW? Its not for -me- and i wont be upgrading.

If youd like to discuss MS updates along with the pros and cons of constant updating, maybe we can start a new thread or move it to PM.

Update: second round. I give up, I can't even install the demo :shrug:

Hey Robert, re: automation... storing and recalling mix automation in sections.

Maybe loop through and automate across 30-40 tracks in an 8 bar chorus, automating levels and FX and send FX across multiple tracks, throw it to the scratchpad. Change it some time later maybe, throw that to the scratch pad also. Later you can drop replace those whole sections in to compare them, to change out and compare all of your automation edits and realtime automation recording passes in those sections to see which one you want to use, so it makes a really clean way to quickly store and recall and compare things, and keep them out of sight until you need them.

So assuming the media is exactly the same, drop replacing an identical section only changes out all of the automation, if any.

Probably not what they had in mind when they built it.

Anyway, you could already have multiple different physical arrangements with track layers, like having the full song on layer 1 and flip to layer 2 for the radio edit, but the problem there is that track layers share automation so unless the mix is really simple, that doesn't work out so well.

And of course, if you keep multiple copies of things horizontally all down the timeline manually, it's going to affect things like zoom all and other things so it's much cleaner to throw stuff like that to the scratchpad, not just copy it to bar 200.

xNiMiNx wrote:A lot of computer savvy people figured out how to solve the problem on their own back then, by avoiding that KB and not using IE 10 / 11.
conversely think of all the coroporates who have ie11 deployed to thousands upone thousands of machines, and hence also have the platform update deployed wih no issues. It's almost certain the reported issues are down to very specific hardware configs (very specific video cards mainly)

trouble with windows is the userbase is so massive that even if 0.001% of machines have an issue with an update, that's still a lot of people.

jdnz wrote:conversely think of all the coroporates who have ie11 deployed to thousands upone thousands of machines, and hence also have the platform update deployed wih no issues.
What you quoted, i was refering more to home systems. 1000 corporate machines, all the exact hardware, purchased in bulk, software deployed to them across the network in a single swoop, might as well be a single machine to me.

Obviously it works for the majority. Im not argueing against that. Still doesnt mean it works for -everyone- flawlessly. Like you said, even if its a small percentage, its still a lot of people affected.

For me personally, its not worth it. Its ok though, lots of people upgraded, things are working smoothly for them, and good music will be created with it. I didnt come to KVR on release day starting a thread like 'DONT INSTALL THAT POS UPDATE!!!1!!1', i didnt post about it in the main S1 thread, i posted it here, to give a reason why im not upgrading. I really dont care what others do with their systems, but it seems some people here are upset when others dont update their systems?

Can you take a midi note in studio one and extend the range of the midi note with a keyboard shortcut? If so what is the keyboard shortcut. This is something I miss from abletons. (shift right to extend and shift left to decrease the notes length in live)
• Logic Pro 10.8.1
• MacBook Pro 2023 - M2 MAX - 96 GB RAM
• Focusrite Red 8Line + UAD Satellite

Question: I uninstalled v2 and someone asked me if this below was new, drag and drop export having the option to export with or without insert FX (post-fader exports). I don't recall seeing that before but I can't check.

At any rate, pretty nice to be able to range select audio and drag out contiguous stems either pre-everything or post-fader.

Yes Lawrence, it`s new.
To select export with or without Insert FX press Strg (Ctrl).
It`s not a bug... it`s a feature!

I am having so much fun and productivity with this! I can't help it man. I'm like a little kid with this. Seriously.

.-.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

In spite of my CPU troubles with Mai Tai, I'm very impressed with many of the sample sounds in PresenceXT; the "Nylon Guitar Full" is positively delightful :phones: :love:

Here's a short improv from the first time I pulled it up. I was inspired by the semi-baritone setting I got by dropping Transpose to -4. 8)

blueman wrote:In spite of my CPU troubles with Mai Tai, I'm very impressed with many of the sample sounds in PresenceXT; the "Nylon Guitar Full" is positively delightful :phones: :love:

Here's a short improv from the first time I pulled it up. I was inspired by the semi-baritone setting I got by dropping Transpose to -4. 8)
Forgot something?

Edit: Sounds really sweet, the type of thing i can leave on repeat for a few hours if im in the mood. The only nitpick i can find, would be @ 1:21, the note cuts out abruptly (for my taste).

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”