Carpenters Vs. Zappa

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

none of the cats round here can play guitar, too busy killing mice to learn!

Harry_HH wrote: The video example of the Zappa is not the most representative to demonstrate his multi-skills.
But that's what's so great about good music, no? If for whatever reasons someone wants to denigrate or diminish some artist or work by picking at the weak elements (not necessarily referring to anyone in this thread, of course), that generally doesn't seem to fare too well in keeping others from finding the jewels.

In the end we all have our preferences but especially for those who make music the question of liking something is never as important IMHO as that of trying to seek out the wonderful stuff that's in there. And if some great composer for whatever reasons just never quite appeals to us that doesn't mean we won't receive their greatness via the works of others who somehow got it and ran with it. :wink:

rp314 wrote:
Harry_HH wrote: The video example of the Zappa is not the most representative to demonstrate his multi-skills.
But that's what's so great about good music, no? If for whatever reasons someone wants to denigrate or diminish some artist or work by picking at the weak elements (not necessarily referring to anyone in this thread, of course), that generally doesn't seem to fare too well in keeping others from finding the jewels.

In the end we all have our preferences but especially for those who make music the question of liking something is never as important IMHO as that of trying to seek out the wonderful stuff that's in there. And if some great composer for whatever reasons just never quite appeals to us that doesn't mean we won't receive their greatness via the works of others who somehow got it and ran with it. :wink:
You have obviously talent to write even a Ph.D dissertation - this was so complicated, I think not even the author knows what its supposed to mean. (Or maybe this was the whole idea).

experimental.crow wrote: shut up ...
:wink:
It's the return of the son. :band2:

rp314 wrote:But that's what's so great about good music, no? If for whatever reasons someone wants to denigrate or diminish some artist or work by picking at the weak elements
Well, that can't be Frank Zappa, as he always gets good press

The reason why I started this thread was more to put Carpenters in the picture, as they are mostly seen as a throwaway bubble gum (country) band, but it aint necessarily so....

Numanoid wrote:The reason why I started this thread was more to put Carpenters in the picture, as they are mostly seen as a throwaway bubble gum (country) band, but it aint necessarily so....
I don't think anyone who has broader view to music think in this way. How could music, which has so much listeners or e.g.radio play after 40 years of the band split off be called "a throwaway"?
(An other story off course is if you happen to like the genre or not).

Harry_HH wrote:I don't think anyone who has broader view to music think in this way
Most people travel the narrow way don't they :wink:

Example: Soft Cell is often seen as a one hit wonder band because of Tainted Love :dog:

Both of them , at the end, couldn`t keep their food down.
One death was self en-flicked...the other indirectly en-flicked by sheer buffoonery.
They're both dead.
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

what?
Zappa died of prostate cancer yeah?
self-enflicted as in he drank a lot of coffee?

sqigls wrote:what?
You've gotten it reversed. Carpenter was self en flicked...Frank had a buffoon for a urologist. The doctor inadvertently en-flicked death onto Frank.

EDIT - to be fair, I don`t believe they were watching PSA levels at that time.
It`s easy to miss prostate cancer...on the other hand, Frank WAS complaining of urinary problems!
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

sqigls wrote:what?
The cigarettes probably played a bigger part than the coffee.

vurt wrote:none of the cats round here can play guitar, too busy killing mice to learn!
What a bunch of pussies!!!

Numanoid wrote:
Gonga wrote:Zappa is easily one of the most accomplished, and influential, musicians of the century. I respected Karen Carpenter and would compare her to a different pop performer. Zappa deserves comparison to classical composers, guitarists, band leaders (Miles Davis for example), who cycled through musicians and began many a storied music career, etc. He is the single greatest musician of my generation (baby boomers) imo.
Karen Carpenter was a pro musician, but there were more than one Carpenter.

Richard Carpenter I would call a genius arranger, and in addition somebody who excelled at the piano.
I hate his arrangements, a great example of just piling on more and more (a common problem at the time), I think the Carpenters would have sounded much better with more subtle arrangements highlighting Karen's voice and much less overproduction. Without all that I think they would sound much less cheesy too.

Numanoid wrote:Zappa excelled in many areas, but I wish he wouldn't play guitar, I just can't stand his soloing.
Out of the *thousands* of records i must have bought over the years, the only one I can think of that I actively hated (as opposed to just being indifferent too) was his 'Guitar' album. I had a couple of his 80s ones (Ship Arriving..., Man From Utopia etc) and thought they were fine so thought I'd dig deeper... Hated it as I said, endless noodling that just went nowhere for me. Others will disagree I'm sure :)

I would recommend his book though (The Frank Zappa Book?), top dude whatever.

aMUSEd wrote:I hate his arrangements, a great example of just piling on more and more (a common problem at the time), I think the Carpenters would have sounded much better with more subtle arrangements highlighting Karen's voice and much less overproduction. Without all that I think they would sound much less cheesy too.
This must be sarcasm.

The Carpenters ( and especially thanks to Richard) were the epitome of tight, clean arrangements with Karen's voice in the spotlight.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”