Your next guitar?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

beltrom wrote:
macmurphy wrote:that Samick is gorgeous. aged to perfection :)
Thanks! Well, it wasn't mine in the picture, this is:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/133600341 ... ed-public/
that one looks even nicer!
you've got a great collection.

i just got an LTD TE-406FM (i love the memorable names they give these things :lol: )

here's a badly taken photo

i immediately put a set of 11 - 52's on it, sorted the neck relief, action and intonation and put some vintage copper strap locks on it. i'm chuffed :)

:tu:
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

macmurphy wrote: you've got a great collection.
I'm quite happy, and almost done.
I think, or hope... :scared:
macmurphy wrote: i just got an LTD TE-406FM (i love the memorable names they give these things :lol: )

here's a badly taken photo

i immediately put a set of 11 - 52's on it, sorted the neck relief, action and intonation and put some vintage copper strap locks on it. i'm chuffed :)
Nice! I like it when guitars aren't in your face with their looks.
You kind of have to look a second time to notice.

Targeted for metal with those EMG's? I was curious enough to search around about using EMG81 and 60 on a tele, Fender themselves seem to have used that configuration on teles a few times in their more upper offerings.

I'm probably going to pick up a 12 string acoustic next, but I keep thinking about getting round to buying a 7 string electric at some point. I don't want to spend the big bucks on that, so I've been looking at some of what I would imagine are the better quality budget ones.

I know Rondo has a reputation for making good quality for the money guitars (particularly their Agile range), but I noticed they have a 'Douglas' range of guitars. Anyone had experience with them?

There are both fixed bridge and licensed FR versions. I do have some trepidation about picking up a licensed FR, but with a good setup even a licensed version can work well. I could always replace it with the real thing later.

Anyone?
Sweet child in time...

Well, we are going to have to agree to disagree on Rondo. I'd say save your money a bit longer or consider used.

My SX Furrian in a nutshell.
The binding cracked up within the first week. Improperly fitted neck joint. The screws for the saddles didn't fit the saddles and shredded on the first try to correct the intonation. Unpotted pickups bad jack contact the neck was warped. The fretwork was crap cut my finger on the tang the first day.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Deep Purple wrote:I'm probably going to pick up a 12 string acoustic next, but I keep thinking about getting round to buying a 7 string electric at some point. I don't want to spend the big bucks on that, so I've been looking at some of what I would imagine are the better quality budget ones.
We're going to be putting out a 7-String soon. It will start at $199 and then have options for pickup upgrades.

I'm not saying that Rondo make every guitar like that - they certainly aren't anywhere near the top of my list of go to brands. However, the few that I have played have really surprised me, and I know a few people with Agile guitars who have good things to say about the quality for the price.

If it's not that great then I would return it, but I would give them a go, especially for the price and knowing I can upgrade to something better if I really want to pursue 7 string further.

Which range of guitars was yours from?

Uncle E - can you share any more than that?
Sweet child in time...

Uncle E wrote:
Deep Purple wrote:I'm probably going to pick up a 12 string acoustic next, but I keep thinking about getting round to buying a 7 string electric at some point. I don't want to spend the big bucks on that, so I've been looking at some of what I would imagine are the better quality budget ones.
We're going to be putting out a 7-String soon. It will start at $199 and then have options for pickup upgrades.
Pickups/tone is what has been holding back on 7-Strings. I've never heard good tone from a 7 string. Keep in mind I despise the current death metal and prog metal sound. Some of the players are amazing, but godz the sound is awful to me. Tobin Abasi for example ... love the playing HATE the tone.

Somebody let me know when there are 7 string pickups that don't sound like ass please.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

I mostly have metal in mind for a 7 string. Probably open tuning with something that's tuned down.

Tone isn't topmost in my mind, just want something that's playable.
Sweet child in time...

beltrom wrote: Targeted for metal with those EMG's? I was curious enough to search around about using EMG81 and 60 on a tele, Fender themselves seem to have used that configuration on teles a few times in their more upper offerings.
well metal, rock, punk... aimless noisy meanderings :wink:

Fender's Jim Root tele has the 81/60 combo. it's certainly working well with the LTD and my pedals and amps - i'm able to get a lot of great sounds.

macmurphy wrote:
Thanks! Well, it wasn't mine in the picture, this is:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/133600341 ... ed-public/

A fine instrument indeed.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Deep Purple wrote:Uncle E - can you share any more than that?
Here are the specs:

Basswood body
Maple neck
Rosewood fingerboard
Licensed Floyd Rose
Dual Humbuckers
3-Way Switch, Volume, and Tone

Uncle E wrote:
Deep Purple wrote:Uncle E - can you share any more than that?
Here are the specs:

Basswood body
Maple neck
Rosewood fingerboard
Licensed Floyd Rose
Dual Humbuckers
3-Way Switch, Volume, and Tone
I might have to look into that. Haven't been budgeting for a 7 string, but it's always been at the back of my mind. I've never been concerned about buying entry level guitars, as very few are completely unplayable, and there's always the option of a few cheap upgrades before committing to a high end version of that guitar.

Any idea on when?
Sweet child in time...

Deep Purple wrote:I've never been concerned about buying entry level guitars, as very few are completely unplayable
Over the last couple of years I've helped a few friends buy entry level guitars, both acoustic and electric, for their kids. Maybe I have faulty memory, but the state of the sub $500 electric guitar is currently head and shoulders above where it used to me. You can get amazing electrics these days. We got one of those Epiphone 335 archtops on sale for F'n $375. That guitar sounds good and plays really well. It's stage worthy.

Even that next tier of sub $1000 is killer.

I don't recall being able to get even near the quality and choice back in the day. Acoustics on the other hand, there are gazillions of choices, but mostly sound and play like shit. But, you had to jump BIG dollars to make a difference, so it ended up the same. Spend > $500 just as good as > $1000 pretty much.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Acoustics are a little harder to find at the low end of price, but I agree that many electrics have come a long way. The first electric I ever owned (about 1980) was horrible, but it was better than some of the guitars that friends had - you were really lucky to find something playable back then unless you dug deep in your pockets.

Definitely far easier to find something now, although cheaper guitars are never going to have that quality guitar feel that you get from investing in a guitar crafted from better quality parts and build processes.
Sweet child in time...

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”