Your top 2015 synthesizer list?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Lotuzia wrote:In 21015 I added Nave and Xils Syn'X 2 to my arsenal. True beauties.
Wonder what synths will be like in that century, I'll be long dead :D :lol:

In no particular order;

Omnispehere
Serum
u-he collective
Virus Ti
NI Reaktor+

I am not too good at narrowing down to a top 3 or top 5 or whatever
but here are some on my list:

Synthmaster
Zebra
Dune 2
Saurus 2
ACE
Aspect
PolyKB II
CrX4

Some others that I like a lot, but haven't been using quite as much lately:
Hybrid 3
Diversion
OP-X Pro II
PPG Wave 3.0

I'd also like to get HIVE and Diva one of these days. :)

1. Spire
2. Largo
3. Charlatan
4. Sylenth1
5. Dune CM
6. Massive
7. Z3TA 2

Glads to have a little bit of an arsenal now which actually does it for me. Massive will probably move up the list a bit as i'm just exploring it's capabilities. :) Like the wavetables quite a bit, especially as they seem to be a bit darker than Largo's. And the handling is fantastic, really straight forward.

Most used:

- Waldorf Nave: for me, the one WT synth with the potential to at least match Serum. I think it's already got its overall sound beat, just dip into the close controls to see what a mod monster this synth is.

- Waldorf Largo: another modulation monarch, and a terrific sound which, like Nave, features...gasp!...really good effects.

- Tone2 Electra 2: Not much to say after the top two. Except, if you dismissed this one you really should go back and try again.

-Sytrus: The more I learn, the more I use this little beast. The gui is lame as hell, but the sound and programming sure as hell isn't. The most glaring lack on CM's "best synths".

- Blue II: A true wonder for programmers, plus one of those rare synths where the presets often seem opaque to the synths capabilities.

Surprisingly underused:

- Serum, I simply don't take it out much now that I have Nave, Largo, Z3ta, Wavegenerator. I'll probably use it even less after I buy Wavemapper. I'm just not wild about the overall sound, though it is still a terrific synth, no question there.

-Synthmaster, on paper and in general (not too involved) use it's terrific. But to me the sound is strangely muted, plus it tends to crash (though rarely) at extraordinarily bad times. Thus, I see it as an "evil" synth.

- Also, Diva really doesn't get pulled out much. I use (get ready to hate me) Arturia's 2600, Mini V, and SEM way more. Plus (if you count it within the realm) XILS 4.

Will be used more in the future:

- Bazille, already love it, plus the aforementioned XILS 4.

Freeware:

The extraordinary KX16, just a killer synth. I've spent hours with it. I just discovered Reaktor's Hyroglyph, a seriously cool WT-ish synth. Venom is great too imo.

Seriously want to like:

-Amaranth Cycle, crashes galore, often potentially damaging crashes. It seems like it has the makings of a real monster, though. Just didn't quite get there imo. I'll keep trying, but it might not be long for my computer.

Not as interesting to me as I guess it should be:

-Omnisphere: Dude, see all the synths above? I own them, plus Komplete Ultimate 10, Hollywood East West Everything (lol), Iris 2. I really, really don't see the need. The lack of any kind of downloadable demo also really counts against it in my book. Being a collector, I will of course get it eventually. Eventually.
Last edited by Apostate on Sat May 30, 2015 10:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ha ha suck it!

Double post, sorry.
Ha ha suck it!

No way in hell could I make a list of favorites. What I can do is make a list of the synths that I seem to go to the most. While it would seem that those two things should be one and the same, they're not and here's why.

Example:

Love Bazille. As modular synths go, it's fun as all hell. Same with MUX, KarmaFX and Sonigen.

But when I'm doing a track, I rarely find that the sound I'm looking for is best served by any of these synths, especially Bazille. In fact, I find very little use for that synth as I am not doing a lot of experimental music these days. So my modulars, which are in themselves my favorite type of synths, hardly ever get used.

So here are my workhorses. Some of these I actually don't really love as much as other synths. They just seem to fit the music I do better.

In Alphabetical order

Battery 4 - Drums, Percussion
Dune 2 - Leads, pads, ARPs
Electra 2 - ARPs
Kontakt 5 - Everything
Massive - Leads
Omnisphere - Pads
Reaktor 5 - ARPs
Synthmaster 2 - Leads, Pads
XILS 4 - Leads, ARPs
Zebra 2 - Leads, Pads

That's it. Everything else gets used very seldom, including Serum which is the first synth I ever made a sound library for. Go figure. I just seem to never find a place for it in the mix.

I have to give it up for Reaktor, I get delightedly surprised each time I open it. There's just so many things you can do with it, so many inspiring things.

I should mention that Rounds is going to be one of those synths I'll definitely be using more in the future, I really like the idea behind it, and have already made some really cool, complex patches with it.

Rounds to me is one of the most underrated synths of recent release, being overshadowed by the comparatively humdrum (to me) Kontour. I like Prism, too.
Ha ha suck it!

The only new synth that I bought is Sunrizer. It is a very good synth. I love the sound of it.

My favourite synths are the same, with FM8 most used and the most essential.

NI : FM8, Massive and Absynth
Air: Loom, Vacuum Pro and Hybrid 3
Steinberg: Retrologue and Padshop pro
Arturia: Arp 2600V and Oberheim SEM V
Korg: all the legacy synths
IL : Harmor

I might add for the above but I won't sell/delete anyone of them :D

Now from the demos, I like a lot but I don't think I will buy (hmmm! I might be if the GAS attacks me again!):
- Largo
- Dune 2
- Hive
- Spire
- Nave (that shocked me because of the low cpu usage).
- Diva
- Zebra 2
- Sylenth1
- Nuklear (not a demo, Studio One version which is Solo)
- Razor (sold it)
- Monark (sold it)
- Diversion
- Oxium
- Rounds
- Spectral
- Blue 2
I might forget something else! Oh yes Modular V and CS 80V

Omnisphere 2
Zebra 2
Alchemy
Spire
Sylenth
Synthmaster
Blue 2
Massive

Monkberry wrote:Omnisphere 2
Zebra 2
Alchemy
Spire
Sylenth
Synthmaster
Blue 2
Massive
I would have mentioned Alchemy also, but after what happened with Apple I guess I just blanked it out. Still a great synth of course, and I should have had it in my "top" list. :) Another that I forgot to mention is KarmaFX Modular.

Diva
Monark
LuSH-101

I must admit I feel lucky to be in an age when you can get so many great synths, the quality these days is amazing. Mine are:

Dune 2
PolyKB II
Minsyn'X
Largo
Alchemy
Zebra 2
Bazille
Spectral
Retrologue

I'm also just programming sunrizer and it's great. Nave is on my list to buy and I'll probably get around to Serum at some point soon as well.

Bhan wrote:
ImNotDedYet wrote:Prophet 6 ;)
I was worried that real synthesizers weren't allowed.

Wishing about buying a Prophet 6 - is like wishing I could buy a Porsche.
Yeah, it's looking like a beast. Don't sleep on the Modal 002 (http://www.modalelectronics.com/modal-002/) and the Abstrakt Avalon (303 emulation with various other filter options - http://www.abstraktinstruments.com/product/avalon/) I think both of these are going to be big, great synths as well. Not that I'll have the money for them, but...;)

Commercial:
1. LuSH-101
2. Spire
3. Serum

Free:
1. Dexed
2. Synth1
2. Xhip
3. Tunefish4

Return to “Instruments”