Studio One 3 - Performance in one Gif

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

24MTS wrote:
TeddyMadison wrote:Try running Mai Tai with the Chillwave pad preset, Then play a 4+ note chord or run your mouse through the keys, and tell me your results?
On my Win7 64, Dell Optiplex 790 i5 2400 (cpubenchmark.net - 5821 points) a five notes chord will take the CPU to 35-40%.

Obviously, the synth is not CPU optimized and probably this particular patch is bugged.
Thanks for the report. 35-40% is still better than what I am getting on that preset :? Has anyone else tried this?

yeah, tried it. win 8.1 64 bit with an i5 3470. cpu also at 100%. cpu usage is also staying at 100% until i delete the instrument.

blueman wrote:
24MTS wrote:
TeddyMadison wrote:Try running Mai Tai with the Chillwave pad preset, Then play a 4+ note chord or run your mouse through the keys, and tell me your results?
On my Win7 64, Dell Optiplex 790 i5 2400 (cpubenchmark.net - 5821 points) a five notes chord will take the CPU to 35-40%.

Obviously, the synth is not CPU optimized and probably this particular patch is bugged.
Thanks for the report. 35-40% is still better than what I am getting on that preset :? Has anyone else tried this?
I just tried the Chillwave pad now in the demo. it is 20-30% cpu for three notes chord and if I play other chords (fast) it reaches 40%. whatever I did it never reached 50%! although I have more than 10 other instruments loaded.

My cpu is i5-4570 with power options "balanced" or "recommended". It seems for me, it is very reasonable for a modern synth, maybe it needs some optimization, but it is almost the same as NI Razor cpu usage for me.

I didn't notice any slugish GUI performance. I tried many random things including changing the cursor position fast. It is indeed snapier than version 2!! I must be really lucky and I should upgrade to version 3 because it loves me and loves my custom assembled PC :hihi:
It never crashed with me either! Anway, I will try to test/demo it further and see!

TeddyMadison wrote:Try this for yourself, Open Mai Tai, select Chillwave pad preset and run your mouse through the keys or try 5+ note chord. Watch your CPU spike to 100%
4 notes: 25%
5 notes: 30%
6 notes: 35%

Win7/64bit, 6GB RAM, Intel Core2Duo E8400 2x3GHz, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, ATI Radeon HD4800, Edirol FA-66 Firewire

Use an extra optimized user profile with admin-like-rights. Disabled some win7-Actions.
AND!!!:
Use 2 SSD`s for system, programms, temps, and project-files, only 1 HDD as sample-archiv

Edit: As longer as i use my v3 Upgrade, i love it! It was a good decision for me.
No Crashes, with everything i tried until now. Works great with FL-Studio as vst-plugin. For now it seems that i use FLStudio as plugin, yet again. Surprise, surprise :party:
Was Große tun, beschwatzen gern die Kleinen.

i try yesterday on my mac , and i don't have cpu spike.If i understand correctly you're under WIN , do you try to defrag your HD ?

Defragmenting HD has extremely little to do with CPU usage. Especially on a synth which doesn't use any samples!

Defragmenting HD has extremely little to do with CPU usage. Especially on a synth which doesn't use any samples!
Yeah right but maybe ?...computers are just computers....

Do you enable the multicore support ?

if I remember correctly i see a person with the same problem on facebook studio one group...don't know if it has been solved.

do you try to find a solution here ?
https://forums.presonus.com/viewforum.p ... 40168ce03c

how many/which program are you running in background ?
Do you update you're drivers ?
do you use the same computer to play games , go to internet ?
Do you have integrated soundcard on your mothership ? do you desactived it?
Last edited by hivkorn on Sat May 30, 2015 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TeddyMadison wrote:
Try this for yourself, Open Mai Tai, select Chillwave pad preset and run your mouse through the keys or try 5+ note chord. Watch your CPU spike to 100%
On my 2009 iMac i7 2.8 running 10.10.3, 8gig RAM, I was only able to get the CPU to spike to 75% if I held down more than 23 notes until they faded. I *was* able to get it over 90% by pressing my arm across the entire length of my 61 note keyboard. However, when I changed polyphony from 32 to 16, the same gesture only yielded 60%.

Not including Studio One or associated processes, I was also concurrently running 276 other processes in 1478 threads.

I'm not sure the issue is with Studio One (or perhaps it's in the decay rate of the preset)

Hope this helps...

sugo wrote:
TeddyMadison wrote:Try this for yourself, Open Mai Tai, select Chillwave pad preset and run your mouse through the keys or try 5+ note chord. Watch your CPU spike to 100%
4 notes: 25%
5 notes: 30%
6 notes: 35%

Win7/64bit, 6GB RAM, Intel Core2Duo E8400 2x3GHz, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, ATI Radeon HD4800, Edirol FA-66 Firewire
This gives me hope, thank you.

Strangely--although it doesn't necessarily mean anything--several people reporting lower CPU usage have older and/or slower systems (i5, core2, etc.). In this case, faster/newer does not always equal better :?

Why are we running these tests with Mai Tai? Maybe there's a bug with Mai Tai that is separate from the CPU issue in S1.

Probably best to reproduce the issue with a freely available cross-platform synth (or effect) that's also available in AU to test. Then that will narrow down the possibilities much faster.
http://admiralbumblebee.com/
Audio Software Reviews, Woodworking, Programming and more...

Robert Randolph wrote:Why are we running these tests with Mai Tai? Maybe there's a bug with Mai Tai that is separate from the CPU issue in S1.
+1

I would also disable 64 bit double-precision processing and see if that makes any difference.

Compared to the latest versions of the big boys, S1 still has a ways to go in terms of CPU performance (like 2x). Hopefully they address it ASAP.

flugel45 wrote: would also disable 64 bit double-precision processing and see if that makes any difference.
For me, it did not (make a difference). I suspect it has more to do with the matching of components (e.g., MB, RAM, CPU, etc.) than the specific configuration of S1 or Windows settings. I have been through nearly every Windows DAW tweak I can find: turning off unneeded/unused services, upgrading drivers, disabling this and that, etc. All of this made little, if any, difference. :shrug:

I wish PreSonus would recommend system specs, down to the component and brand level--anecdotally, people seem to have better luck with i5 configurations. In the meantime, if I avoid the CPU offenders, I can work with this release. Understand, it is just a strange experience for me when everything else about my system is efficient.

Anyway, I STILL love Studio One; I have no intention of quitting this DAW. The workarounds (e.g, freezing tracks, increasing buffer size) are worth it! Here's hoping for a future release that includes more efficient CPU for the rest of us :band2:

Matching computer components has nothing to do with it. How can, say, Reaper perform better with less CPU load, using identical VSTs in an identical project? It is obviously the case of not properly optimized code in S1, and putting visuals ahead of performance (for one thing). Well, Reaper does do some clever buffering and anticipative processing tricks, it seems S1 crew obviously doesn't think they're important (protip: they ARE important).

very important!
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/Take 5/ASM Hydrasynth
Korg Prologue16\Behringer DM12D/Pro-800/Meris Pedals

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”