Happy Friday - new public beta available 6.1.9

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

gigazaga wrote:You still need to go into record in the normal way
Not really. Also works when just playing the edit. Recording when not in playing mode is probably a bug.

I can't get it to work, loaded Pianoteq and did some noodling without record on, then pressed the clock and it just inserted a blank midi clip. How do you make it work?

Nice :-)

Okay, try this

1) Make sure to enable Retrospective record. Either in options or right-clicking the 'clock' you can set the buffer size.
2) Enable an input device and make sure you enable the 'r'.
3) Play edit and noodle away.
4) Stop edit and click the clock.

The clip is placed before the playhead (and trimmed) if you're at least 15 seconds in the edit. Otherwise it's placed untrimmed after the playhead.

Fix for MIDI guide notes playing during erase or select drag operations
- Fix for MIDI timing issues when editing during playback

Great.

BushmasterM4 wrote:The issue has been reported a while back. Still waiting :)
And you're absolutely sure they're working on it? If not, a friendly reminder (crashlog) could be helpful.

frankvg wrote:Okay, try this

1) Make sure to enable Retrospective record. Either in options or right-clicking the 'clock' you can set the buffer size.

The clip is placed before the playhead (and trimmed) if you're at least 15 seconds in the edit. Otherwise it's placed untrimmed after the playhead.
Thanks for explanation but what do you mean by "if you're at least 15 seconds in the edit."
The playhead is after 15 second in the edit timeline ?

Finally, count-in for loop mode - that's been my biggest irritation since version 1. Hurrah! :D

frankvg wrote:Okay, try this

Done all that but it just inserts an empty midi clip.

gigazaga wrote: You still need to go into record in the normal way. However when editing the clip, you can reveal the extra audio by adjusting the left trim handle or right trim handle.
Really? From reading the description I thought that this was so that when you are NOT recording, (say for example just running through the section for the first time so the talent can get a feel for it) if they nail it, you can still pull it up. It does that in a way for me, but pulls it up out of sync.

Here's what I did:

I want to record an overdub from 1:00 to 1:15. I play that section and practice along to get a feel for it. Then I do my real recorded take. I don't like the real take, but I did like the one when I was practicing. I delete the real take and click the retrospective recording button. Now what happens most the time is that a long clip is inserted with what I did when I was practicing, what happened between the two passes (I Think), and the real take. The problem is that this clip gets inserted so the end of it is at the cursor (like normal), but since it has extra stuff on it, the placement doesn't work within the context of the rest of the edit. There's no way it ever could be lined up in this case because both takes which are on the single clip were supposed to be over the same section. After playing with it a few times, eventually the clips don't even pull up into the edit, although they are still recorded.

Am I just wrong about how it's supposed to be working?
frankvg wrote: Recording when not in playing mode is probably a bug.
I would think so, but they mentioned it in the description. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. I guess I could see it being useful in a few rare situations, but never when working with previously recorded material because then it just doesn't make sense as far as I can tell.

Hey guys - if you are playing the edit and then press the retrospective record button (without pressing stop first), the resulting clip will be time aligned in context with the edit

If you are stopped - or have stopped, the clip will be placed at the cursor position and some re-alignment may be needed to place the clip. If the playhead is near the start of the track and there is not enough room for the clip to be placed in advance of the playhead, then the clip will be placed starting at the playhead (rather than ending at it)

You do not need to be in record, or record arm, for the feature to work - just have an input assigned to a track

The system is constantly filling the buffer - so if you you empty the buffer by pressing the button, then press quickly again, the buffer will not have refilled and you will get a shorter clip (the time between pressing the retrospective button)

Let us know if you get any strange events so we can review fix while in beta :)
Tracktion Software Corporation

TSC wrote:Hey guys - if you are playing the edit and then press the retrospective record button (without pressing stop first), the resulting clip will be time aligned in context with the edit

If you are stopped - or have stopped, the clip will be placed at the cursor position and some re-alignment may be needed to place the clip. If the playhead is near the start of the track and there is not enough room for the clip to be placed in advance of the playhead, then the clip will be placed starting at the playhead (rather than ending at it)

You do not need to be in record, or record arm, for the feature to work - just have an input assigned to a track

The system is constantly filling the buffer - so if you you empty the buffer by pressing the button, then press quickly again, the buffer will not have refilled and you will get a shorter clip (the time between pressing the retrospective button)

Let us know if you get any strange events so we can review fix while in beta :)

Thanks. That explains all the issues I was having and it seems to be working then.

EDIT: Actually I'm not sure this explains the situation I have where it records a clip, but doesn't place it in the edit, but I will investigate further.

I will say that I don't really see a use in recording even when you are not in play. I think sacrificing that would be worth having the clips always line up to where they were meant to be in the edit. Or maybe there could be an option for both. I'm usually recording other people, so I always hit stop before I decide with them whether something is good or not and I don't like the idea of lining things up manually.

Any thoughts? This is one feature I would love to start using for sure.

We are working on a more advanced version that might be able to always place the clips in a time relevant position, but its a lot more complicated - for now, if you remember to hit the retro button before you stop, it will place the clip in the correct alignment - if you did stop, then you will need to do manual alignment - but at least you got the content

The feature is actually super lightweight on your system resources so you can set a long buffer with negligible impact - just having that failsafe is a big step forward - more to come :)
Tracktion Software Corporation

TSC wrote:We are working on a more advanced version that might be able to always place the clips in a time relevant position, but its a lot more complicated - for now, if you remember to hit the retro button before you stop, it will place the clip in the correct alignment - if you did stop, then you will need to do manual alignment - but at least you got the content

The feature is actually super lightweight on your system resources so you can set a long buffer with negligible impact - just having that failsafe is a big step forward - more to come :)
Awesome, thanks again for explaining all that. I guess since this isn't something that's used a lot lining up the tracks if need be is not a big deal. Pretty amazing feature really, love what you guys are doing.

Hi,

I can't find this feature :

- New feature: Count in for loop mode recordings

On OSX, on record mode, I can't see any count on loop mode !

Return to “Tracktion”