Dissecting "City of Dreams" by Alesso

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys, I just listened to "City of Dreams" by Alesso. When I listen closely all I can hear is basically the layered lead and quite an elaborate bassline (low frequency part and kind of a mid part). It doesn't really sound like there are any underlying chords at all. Am I right? What do you guys think? Btw: I don't want to cover this, I'm just interested in it from the "composition" point of view. Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWe19KS-i-c

I think for the most part you're probably right. I hear 3 basses though, 2 in the mid range and the sub. The lead is probably made up of at least 3 synths; you can hear that at least 1 of these synths is pretty wide.

As for the chords, I'm almost positive there are some. When you use a mid-range piano or a nice warm pad and mix it in properly, it can actually have the effect of just thickening and warming the bassline and filling out the midrange. You can't necessarily hear the actual piano/pad, but I bet if you were to suddenly take it out of the mix, you'd notice the mix suddenly become a little thin in the mids. Obviously I could be wrong; this is just my opinion. I've worked with stems for prog house tracks before and it's surprising how many layers exist that aren't really heard, more just felt.

Return to “Production Techniques”