How many of you delete the presets that come with your synthesizers?

How to make that sound...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Acid Mitch wrote:I enjoy programming sounds though, so I guess that helps.
Yeah, you never know.

Are you like that if there is no preset manger in the synth, so you can't manage to delete the presets, that you ask to get your money back from dev?

ariston wrote:On a side note, the acoustic instrument - synth patch analogy is totally daft. In terms of nuance and expressiveness, synths just can't compare with acoustic instruments.
Of course. It was, um, an analogy, not a comparison. The point was that people sometimes dismiss a given synth sound ('dated', so-and-so used it, etc) when there is a whole lot more that could be done with it.

thetechnobear wrote: But you have got me thinking, perhaps if I did delete the presets after the initial 'what can it do' phase, perhaps Id be more likely to pick it up again?

does it count if I just archive them somewhere? .. or does it need to be a secure delete with no possibility of recovery :)
I would just back them up somewhere in a compressed archive. That way if you need a quick selection of sounds you'll have them.
:borg:

V0RT3X wrote:
thetechnobear wrote: But you have got me thinking, perhaps if I did delete the presets after the initial 'what can it do' phase, perhaps Id be more likely to pick it up again?

does it count if I just archive them somewhere? .. or does it need to be a secure delete with no possibility of recovery :)
I would just back them up somewhere in a compressed archive. That way if you need a quick selection of sounds you'll have them.
Many of Tone2's synths have the presets separate from the .DLL. As the presets are separate, you can just move them to a different folder, and the synth won't see them. Move them back for quick, easy access when necessary. These synths also offer good tutorials and INIT patches, so you can start from wherever you want and make your own.

I know other synths are similar in this respect, but as long as people are looking for a way to try making their own, they might as well do it in a way that doesn't wipe out the presets (in case they want them back). This way, you get "the best of both worlds".

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

You could just as easily ignore the presets and still learn the synthesizer from scratch.. Presets are great for seeing how the synth can be used and usually provide a full range of the capabilities and give great insight into how certain features are used. And from there you can really push the limits of them. And presets are great for inspiration if writing is what you're focused on. I love learning the basics of the synths I use as well, so I feel you there but I don't think I would ever delete my presets for simple fact that it would be a pain in the ass to get them back lol.

As long as a synth comes with some kind of init patch, I can cheerfully ignore all the others until I need them. And sometimes I do need them, because I'll be scoring music for a video at work and only have a few hours to complete a whole track. That's when creating your own sounds becomes self-indulgence. And on the other hand, my eurorack modular and plenty of my other analog synths don't come with presets. Deleting the ones you already have seems silly and pointless to me, but whatever works for you...
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

I don't delete them but I don't use them either (there may be a few exceptions, but I think I could count them with with just one hand). I would delete them if I were in need of space (and, in fact, I'm forced to do so on hardware such as the microKorg).

I think presets can be useful to show the possibilities of a device (if the presets are good, that is!) and they can be a source of inspiration (even if you don't use them, you can go through presets and, for example, notice some tonal characteristics that you would not have thought of; so you may go making a new, different patch that echoes some of those characteristics... or you may just start playing with the preset, come up with a nice pattern and then replace the sound with something more personal), that's why I don't delete them.

I also think a tasteful choice of presets is good to show the features of a machine and to be inspirational, while thousands of presets are likely to be a waste of time...

Return to “Sound Design”