Hive Video Tutorial + intro offer ends soon!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

:) From August 2013...
Urs wrote:Well, the name of our supersaw oscillator is "Hive Osc", because it's literally a hive of oscillators that buzz around like eager little bees in their home full of honeycombs. Hence if we ever get to do a supersaw synth, it'll be called "Hive" or "Hive One".

There you have it. Consider "Hive" trademarked by u-he.
Well, this little weekend project turned out well, didn't it?

:)

I agree. A "great, great synth"
바보

argh URS !!!

Why are your Gui layouts so confusing

one osc on the left another on the opposit

dunno about zebra but ZebraCM is puzzling
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

It's totally not confusing. You're looking at two separate synth lines with a full osc, filter, two envelopes and an LFO (basically a Juno, in a way) - one on the left, one on the right. You can link them with the Link button for making fast changes.

Just watch the 10 tutorial videos. That's why they are there.
Last edited by EvilDragon on Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

we're in the last few hours to buy at the intro price this savage beast...surely the best synth of 2015.

I agree, it is not confusing at all. By U-he standards the GUI is pretty good :) I was not too fond of the blue skin, but the amber one is pretty.

I am not convinced of the filters, they don't sizzle the way Sylenth's do when using the filter drive knob, Hive's filters are more the shhh rather than the zzzz type. Nor is the stereo panorama as wide as with Sylenth for some reason, one can hear the difference with pads. But I bought Hive anyway, mostly because of the extensive modulation options and the feeling that U-he is an active company, so Hive is likely to improve as time passes. With Sylenth that might be the case, but it might as well not. And Hive has decent pulse width modulation :)

I have reduced the DAW sampling rate from 96 to 41 kHz and I will stick to the third engine, so CPU load should not be much of a problem, either. I don't need more than 3 instances per song, one of which mono bass. And I will minimize the usage of reverb and such demanding internal effects.

PS: 12:45pm in Berlin and still the reduced price, dubious sales practice... 8)

Time's up! :clown:

Missing the cozy fire crackling sound on the registered version 8)

In the browser the arrow keys always skip one, i.e. they select for instance the 3rd or 5th or 7th line or column.

There is a strange behavior: When using pulse and playing high notes and then playing a low note (like 4 or 5 octaves below the last note) next, there is a kind of pitch bend or glide effect on the first low note. You can make it more audible when turning back the cutoff frequency of the init patch.

Hive is a monster for throwing together sounds quickly that sound great. Literally there is not a single complaint I have about the interface or the sound...

Getting heavy use in all of my music!

Will have to watch the tutorials to see what secrets have alluded me, thanks Urs.
SW: Cubase 9.5 | Komplete 11 | Omnisphere 2 | Perfect Storm 2.5 | Soundtoys 5
HW: Steinberg UR28M | Focal Alpha 50 | Fender Jazz Bass | Alesis VI25

Why is the effect on/off switch not saved in patch presets? When I play a patch and turn the effects off, then load another patch, its effects are also off, although I know I saved it with effects on.

fluffy_little_something wrote:Why is the effect on/off switch not saved in patch presets? When I play a patch and turn the effects off, then load another patch, its effects are also off, although I know I saved it with effects on.
It's an "instance parameter" - it saves with project.

When you switch the effects off, they are switched off for the whole session, i.e. you can browse presets with them switched off, in that particular instance of Hive on that particular track of your DAW. Even when you open the project again, it should still be off.

This was done for convenience because a frequently asked for feature was "I would like to browse presets quickly but I would like the effects to be switched off".

Individual presets should have effects switched on or off using their respective toggle in the center :)

fluffy_little_something wrote:There is a strange behavior: When using pulse and playing high notes and then playing a low note (like 4 or 5 octaves below the last note) next, there is a kind of pitch bend or glide effect on the first low note. You can make it more audible when turning back the cutoff frequency of the init patch.
Ha! I'll fix that!

fluffy_little_something wrote:In the browser the arrow keys always skip one, i.e. they select for instance the 3rd or 5th or 7th line or column.
Nope, not over here.

Filters in Hive are so much better sounding than Sylenth's, BTW.

Urs wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:Why is the effect on/off switch not saved in patch presets? When I play a patch and turn the effects off, then load another patch, its effects are also off, although I know I saved it with effects on.

When you switch the effects off, they are switched off for the whole session, i.e. you can browse presets with them switched off, in that particular instance of Hive on that particular track of your DAW. Even when you open the project again, it should still be off.

This was done for convenience because a frequently asked for feature was "I would like to browse presets quickly but I would like the effects to be switched off".

Individual presets should have effects switched on or off using their respective toggle in the center :)
This is wrong! Maybe provide two controls - one for preset, and one for project (optional).

toothnclaw wrote:
Urs wrote:

This is wrong! Maybe provide two controls - one for preset, and one for project (optional).
?

There are already two controls:

There are on/off switches for effects that save with preset
There is a global on/off switch that allows fx-free preset browsing

Adding a third control would be a usuability nightmare ;)

Return to “Instruments”