Studio One 3 + BitWig (any Studio One users here?)

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

+ mouse scroll wheel turns knobs when hovering over, realy nice...
There are a lot more audio editing tools in S1, I find that aspect impressive...
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

c-wave wrote:
Robmobius wrote:
ThomasHelzle wrote:Interesting.
Studio one is the slowest DAW to start I've ever seen (always has been like that here). Often takes minutes before I can start working.
Yes... It takes ages before it loads up, and as I said earlier, selecting and moving assets in the arranger view is a right pain sometimes. Reminds me of logic 9.

But Bitwig is very smooth in that regard. So it makes everything really ez to work with :tu:
+1.. But I think that the multi-plugin TABBED window in S1 if implemented on top of current BWS GUI would add nice management of VST's, instead of the current overlapping windows :)
Hehehe - well, I hate tabbed plugin windows, so please only as an option. ;-)

I also prefer the device chain over pretty much any other representation of signal flow. No separation of instruments and effects and any order I want or need.
At first I thought the new node views in S13 would be something similar, but it's still separated and no Midi VSTs, only their own note effects.
Far too restricted and limited for me. ;-)

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
Sculptures ScreenDream Mastodon

But as I said, I can send program change and midi cc to my hardware synths with Studio One, so not as restricted and limited as it seems.
Does Bitwig do that? I didn't find that during my scratching on its surface

ThomasHelzle wrote:
c-wave wrote:
Robmobius wrote:
Studio one is the slowest DAW to start I've ever seen (always has been like that here). Often takes minutes before I can start working.
Yes... It takes ages before it loads up, and as I said earlier, selecting and moving assets in the arranger view is a right pain sometimes. Reminds me of logic 9.

But Bitwig is very smooth in that regard. So it makes everything really ez to work with :tu:
+1.. But I think that the multi-plugin TABBED window in S1 if implemented on top of current BWS GUI would add nice management of VST's, instead of the current overlapping windows :)
Hehehe - well, I hate tabbed plugin windows, so please only as an option. ;-)

I also prefer the device chain over pretty much any other representation of signal flow. No separation of instruments and effects and any order I want or need.
At first I thought the new node views in S13 would be something similar, but it's still separated and no Midi VSTs, only their own note effects.
Far too restricted and limited for me. ;-)

Cheers,

Tom
Totally agreed.. but here is an idea that might sound a little crazy, but actually the arrows in S1-3 chains, if they were turned sideways and implemented inside BWS racks they probably help clarify the path a lot more of beginners like me. I've seen some uses don't know where to place devices (i.e. before or after in a chain).. and when arrows show the path going to parallel devices the benefit is even greater.
I know programming such a graphical thing is easier said than done but such an idea makes BWS less cryptic and encourages people to experiment with the multitude of its devices.

Bitwig takes 5 seconds.
I find Bitwig to be as slow, if not slower. Part of the slowness is having to scan presets everytime it loads, I ended up deinstalling all the samples because it insists on scanning them on startup. Checking for a new version also takes seconds, not needed.

SLiC wrote:+ mouse scroll wheel turns knobs when hovering over, realy nice...
There are a lot more audio editing tools in S1, I find that aspect impressive...
yes. and i miss this greatly in bws. you can even on some dropdown menues, hover the mouse over the closed menue and scroll through its entries. great for presets... love this...
and i miss the drag&drop philosophy in bws, when it comes to not drag into bws or within bws, but out of bws... in studio one you just drag a newly in-place rendered audiofile into whatever location you want in the browser. same with midi clips... stuff like that is what bws really misses...
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign
gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man

That scratch pad in Studio One 3 seems incredibly useful. What you guys think of it?

carlosjcuevasm wrote:That scratch pad in Studio One 3 seems incredibly useful. What you guys think of it?
it' s a godsent. changes the way you work with traditional timeline sequencers forever. simple, but unbelievable effective.
but - in a way you get kind of the that aproach in bws when using the clip launcher as a scratchpad... it certainly allows you to try out different arrangement aspects just as the scratchpad in studio one...
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign
gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man

I think the clip launcher is great, and certainly does help with testing arrangements.

The scratchpad is a whole different level though. I think of it as the "missing link" between the clip launcher and the arrangement view.

My trial period with S1 3 is over. I am actually looking deeply into Digital Performer. The 'chunk' system sounds very well designed. It couldn't hurt to have a DAW in the toolbox that is mature. I love Bitwig but waiting for new features is a drag (also happens in S1, and any other young tool).

Ableton is 'mature', but still quite under-developed in my opinion. DP seems to be able to do just about anything, at the cost of an older interface and a slightly more 'book keeping' workflow.

brok landers wrote:
carlosjcuevasm wrote:That scratch pad in Studio One 3 seems incredibly useful. What you guys think of it?
it' s a godsent. changes the way you work with traditional timeline sequencers forever. simple, but unbelievable effective.
but - in a way you get kind of the that aproach in bws when using the clip launcher as a scratchpad... it certainly allows you to try out different arrangement aspects just as the scratchpad in studio one...
True. I store ideas on the clip launcher too.

However, seems quite odd nobody though of that before ( scratchpad), with luck it could find its way to Bitwig.

aMUSEd wrote: Part of the slowness is having to scan presets everytime it loads, I ended up deinstalling all the samples because it insists on scanning them on startup. Checking for a new version also takes seconds, not needed.
True but I don't really mind the new version thingey, but it'd be a lot smoother if it didn't have to calibrate all the vsts, etc. That said my S1 takes a while to boot up - probably because I've so much 3rd party stuff.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

studio one 3.0.1 is out! many bugfixes included. rock solid update!

xanthos wrote:studio one 3.0.1 is out! many bugfixes included. rock solid update!
Sweet!!! Yes, badly needed indeed.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

xanthos wrote:studio one 3.0.1 is out! many bugfixes included. rock solid update!
Lol, maybe its ok for you but it crashed first time i used the update. Not a happy bunny :x
Win 10 with Ryzen 5950x, Bitwig 5, too many plugins, Novation Circuit Mono Station and now a lovely Waldorf Blofeld.

Could you guys please write about studio one in studio one forum? Or atleast try to have bitwig in topic or maybe lock thread

Return to “Bitwig”