What are best practices for "sitting in a mix" when creating sounds?

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I tend to use fx unconventionally. Just curious if there are things to avoid when creating sounds e.g.

avoid phasing
avoid 1234 hz

Will be putting together a soundset and wanted to get people's take on the matter.

Thanks,
Blu
Last edited by bludreamsounds on Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

don't be too obedient.

sit up straight, slouch over a bit. tuck your shirt in. tuck someone else's shirt in. you'll never be a style queen if you don't learn to poached salmon in a white whiney sauce.

the most important thing is when you sell things, command people to BUY them. try sex magic with a picture of happy customers or stabbing candles or joining the masons for power and secret influence. that's the key to the music business.

except then of course you'd be a git who had sex with pictures and thought about candles and git kind of stuff.

just go with the obedience thing and realise how horribly nightmarish all these compounded ideas about the proper way to be really are. horrid! horrid!
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

I usually sit in a mix of margarine, butter and lard, the rest just happens by itself once the correct viscosity is achieved

Always make sure you put on a clear pair of underwear.
Sweet child in time...

I like cake mix.

Holy shit KvR is wild today. :lol:
ImageImageImageImage

There is some coherence in there...just more of an abstract way of approaching the same advice I'd give.
There are no rules; especially for soundsets.

They are designed to be as appealing as possible and sound as outrageous as possible for sale. Dripping in unnecessary effects, totally unusable for most applications, and almost certainly incapable of sitting in any mix.
Sound Engineer / Musician / Producer......but I'm always learning.

Imho raw = better! No seasoning please...

Once upon a time I downloaded a sample set that supposedly consisted of, say, 12 "high quality" samples. Turned out it was just one "original" sample, but processed in 12 different ways: with a slapback delay, with a flanger, with harmoniser, etc etc.

Please don't do that. We can come up with our own creative effects, thank you. By printing the effects already in the provided samples you withhold the user from adjusting it to taste, to let it sit in the specific mix. Either with different fx levels or settings (such as delay times.)
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote:By printing the effects already in the provided samples you withhold the user from adjusting it to taste
I was actually talking about synth presets but this is also such a good point.

My two most hated things are audio sounds/loops with FX printed, and drum loops with kicks. I may as well have bought a half eaten steak.
Sound Engineer / Musician / Producer......but I'm always learning.

Now we're getting somehwere :tu: Cheers Bertkoor. Great point.

This thread made my day.

Return to “Sound Design”