Best and worst DAWs?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ableton Live. Both the best and the worst. Simultaneously.

Codestation wrote:Ableton Live. Both the best and the worst. Simultaneously.

I agree with this, i found it to be both enjoyable and highly frustrating to use at times.
:borg:

LawrenceF wrote:I like The Hulk. He's the best. Thor might be close but Hulk rules. He also has cool pants. He grows 10x and his pants never rip off. Must be those futuristic rubber pants.
Hulk smash.
You're in top form tonight. :lol:

.-.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

Honestly, I think it is in some serious need of a face lift. I can't look at that insipid, lifeless interface for one more minute. I just can't do it anymore.

.-.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Codestatio wrote:Ableton Live. Both the best and the worst. Simultaneously.
What makes it worst?

Bridging

Orbit-50 wrote:
Honestly, I think it is in some serious need of a face lift. I can't look at that insipid, lifeless interface for one more minute. I just can't do it anymore.

.-.
Horses for courses.
Love the interface, especially the cleanliness and simplicity.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Best: a tie between This DAW and One DAW Only.

Worst: DAWTurbo

arkmabat wrote:
No_Use wrote:
digitalboytn wrote: Hans Zimmer said that,"The best DAW is the one that you're used to.Whatever’s in your head, you’re supposed to be able to get it out and into your sequencer as quickly as you can."

That's pretty good advice I reckon :wink:
Oh, so that's the key to Zimmer's success ?
Good to know, I'll try. :hihi:
Uhm, this is the key. A good DAW works with you. Allows you to record what you have in your head.

So what do you use if all you ever have in your head are voices and ringing?
:?

Orbit-50 wrote:

.-.
I love the boring grey look of the Live gui

pdxindy wrote:
Orbit-50 wrote:

.-.
I love the boring grey look of the Live gui
It's obvious that you are trying to make me throw up, and it almost worked, but I stood up and walked around for a few minutes, and then the queasiness subsided. Mind over matter applied here. Dude, I just wish to God that after 10 frickin' years that there would some good vibrant skins for Ableton Live. At this point, it's obvious to me, that it might happen as the last event, in the history of mankind's existence to ever come about. I'm crushed beyond recognition on this one.

.-.

Lol

C'mon man what about disco?

crashedthecar wrote:Lol

C'mon man what about disco?
Let me think. Hmmm. Oh yeah that's right, I wanna shoot myself now. :lol: I was actually going to give the "shit brown" one a try again, but it seems like they removed it? I don't know. I give up. We'll see what Live 10 brings.

.-.

Shit Brown is an acquired taste.
Try the monkey shit Brown :party:

Best: Reason
Why? Because it's intuitive and rock-solid. It never crashed for me in over 10 years use. Love the routing and rack-backside and the design of REs. It's the only DAW where I feel my creativity can flow and isn't hampered by eventual crashes (which happen in pretty much every VST-compatible DAW).

Worst: Cubase & ProTools
These two share the space for worst DAWs.
Why? Bloated, unstable (thanks to VST), complicated to use (Audio in Cubase, the horror!), Cubase 8 UI looks like Fisher Technics. ProTools looks better but it's starting to lack behind other DAWs feature-wise.

Notable Mention: Studio One 3. This one looks promising but I don't hold my breath on stability.

The usual suspects: Live, Bitwig, REAPER. Live is useful to varying degrees, best audio support ever but also unstable and MIDI sucks. Bitwig is still in child's shoes, also unstable. Reaper is cheap and more stable than Live or Cubase but routing in REAPER is a pain in the A$$!

So far I've tried many DAWs but eventually I always returned to Reason because it allowed me to get the job done instead of hanging up in the midst of a session.
“No matter how paranoid or conspiracy-minded you are, what the government is actually doing is worse than you imagine.” ~ William Blum

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”