Please PreSonus fix midi file review bug! [Reported]

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have version 2, but I also tested this with version 3 demo. Well, I hope a 'watcher' from PreSonus is reading this post and I hope he/she can take it to the developers/managers or whoever is responsible for fixing this bug:

- load Impact for example,
- find a midi file to play in the browser (try the demo of Groove Monkey packs)
- Now, when you click play (while highlighting Impact), It will play in Song Tempo
- Click once more on the small triangle to not be in Song Tempo
- Click play, it stays playing in Song Tempo
- Try everything you want, it stays play in Song Tempo

Now, say the Song tempo is 120 but the midi file indicates 80 bpm. whatever you do, it stays playing at 120 bpm. The only way to review the midi file at its original tempo is to change S1 tempo to 80. Now, play the midi file, it is still 120!! change to another file and it will start playing at 120! What a mess!!

Please fix that PreSonus (Sonar also has this problem!, but Cubase and Reaper are working right with this!). It makes my life so easy to review the midi files at different tempos without changing the song tempo every time!

p.s. I will post this in PreSonus forum as well, so I have their attention to this bug :hihi:
Last edited by EnGee on Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Have you tried creating a support ticket to report the bug? Try that before posting in a forum. I formally reported a bug a few weeks ago, got confirmation from support a few days later, and they entered a tracker for it.

Yes I have reported with "Request #254655". I thought at first it's just writing it in the forum would be sufficed but then a member there wrote me a link (which I used to send the request).

I think I will be notified when there is a change in the ticket status (I haven't used the support except for selling/buying second hand licenses :clown: )

That's nothing compared to the memory leak bug wich is still there

however good luck with the technical support...

Scottex wrote:That's nothing compared to the memory leak bug wich is still there

What memory leak bug do you mean Edward?

Well, I believe if they can reproduce the bug and have the ability to fix it, they will do.

EnGee wrote:
Scottex wrote:That's nothing compared to the memory leak bug wich is still there

What memory leak bug do you mean Edward?

Well, I believe if they can reproduce the bug and have the ability to fix it, they will do.
Studio one can double the use of ram under certain situations plus won't unload ram for certain plugins until all the same plugins are removed.

No big deal if you are running the 64 bit version. This is a workflow breaker if you are running the 32 bit. Since Jbridge works really bad for me, I'm still using 32 bit versions. If you don't have experienced this bug it's because you don't use enough vsti or you are a very very lucky guy.

Thanks for the explanation.

I don't believe in luck really, so it's then because I use the 64bit and few plugins in one song.

Anyway, I read there is a problem with ReWire devices. I'll test the two issues when I get home today with both the 32bit and the 64bit then compare the results with other DAWs.

Scottex wrote:
Studio one can double the use of ram under certain situations plus won't unload ram for certain plugins until all the same plugins are removed.
It is off topic of course, but I just wanted to share what I have concluded from the simple tests I did in my PC (which anyone can try for him/herself).

Studio One v2.6.5 64bit
Memory Start 211mb -> 2533mb after adding 18 plugins (ranged from synths to samplers), then by removing one by one till none is there -> 433mb

Cubase Elements 8 64bit
Memory Start 286mb -> 2563mb after adding the same 18 plugins in the same order, then by removing one by one till none is there -> 445mb

Sonar X3e 64bit
Memory Start 143mb -> not available because it freezed when I added SEM V (VSTi3), so I abandoned the test!

Reaper 5 RC3 64bit
Memory Start 99mb -> 2327mb after adding the same 18 plugins in the same order, then removing one by one till none is there -> 415mb

OK, this proved to me that all my 3 DAWs (not Sonar :x) behaved the same (almost) with the same plugins, so I wanted to understand why there is some memory usage after freeing all plugins.

I closed Reaper and then load it again with same memory start 99mb, then tested some plugins from the 18 ones by inserting just one of them, then removing it. I noticed some of them leaves behind some memory not freed especially the hungry memory ones like samplers but not only samplers, some synths also.

My conclusion for my setup is Studio One 64bit 2.6.5 doesn't behave differently from Cubase Elements 8 or Reaper 5 when it comes to memory management :D

My PC is win 8.1 64bit, i5 4570, 8GB, HD 1TB 7200rpm

Scottex wrote: Studio one can double the use of ram under certain situations plus won't unload ram for certain plugins until all the same plugins are removed.
What you describe here is not technically a memory leak in the true sense of the term:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/davidklinems/ar ... 93580.aspx

See the paragraph on Holding references to managed objects
Only the Studio One developers would be able to state whether this behaviour is intended or not :!:
Why won't you delete this account as I have requested Ben ?

RockinMillie wrote:
Scottex wrote: Studio one can double the use of ram under certain situations plus won't unload ram for certain plugins until all the same plugins are removed.
What you describe here is not technically a memory leak in the true sense of the term:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/davidklinems/ar ... 93580.aspx

See the paragraph on Holding references to managed objects
Only the Studio One developers would be able to state whether this behaviour is intended or not :!:
it's a memory leak because Studio One (32 bit) can crash and go out of ram by using only 1,5 gb of ram (my pc has 8 gb...). Plus tested FL Studio and Ableton Live wich works fine until 4 gb for 32 bit versions...

So Presonus or not this is a bug (wich i usually call memory leak)

btw there is a new update

EnGee wrote: OK, this proved to me that all my 3 DAWs (not Sonar :x) behaved the same (almost) with the same plugins, so I wanted to understand why there is some memory usage after freeing all plugins.
maybe adding/removing the instruments created undo steps (which could be largeish, depending on the instrument, and how patches are saved)? There could also be other temporary data that might not get cleared till you close the program, i'd think.
Feed the children! Preferably to starving wild animals.
--
Pooter | Software | Akai MPK-61 | Line 6 Helix | Dynaudio BM5A mk II

kelldammit wrote:
EnGee wrote: OK, this proved to me that all my 3 DAWs (not Sonar :x) behaved the same (almost) with the same plugins, so I wanted to understand why there is some memory usage after freeing all plugins.
maybe adding/removing the instruments created undo steps (which could be largeish, depending on the instrument, and how patches are saved)? There could also be other temporary data that might not get cleared till you close the program, i'd think.
I really don't know the reason for such memory usage. It could be related to the OS or the VST SDK or ...? who knows, but if it is a bug in Studio One, then it is not specific to Studio One alone!

Anyway, back to the midi problem, I have a kind and polite answer from Studio One support that there is no fix for this problem at the moment, but they will be sure to report this bug.
I find this reasonable and I hope at least they fix it in a future update in version 3. I will keep my eyes on the future updates then ;)

You
kelldammit wrote:
Already check it, both history and trash
I should have the error code, we I get home I'll post here.

Scottex: "Studio one can double the use of ram under certain situations plus won't unload ram for certain plugins until all the same plugins are removed."

In 64-bit or not, this is a big one and there is simply no excuse for this in any DAW anymore.

So ... does anyone know for certain if this is still going on in version 3?

MarlaPodolski wrote:Scottex: "Studio one can double the use of ram under certain situations plus won't unload ram for certain plugins until all the same plugins are removed."

In 64-bit or not, this is a big one and there is simply no excuse for this in any DAW anymore.

So ... does anyone know for certain if this is still going on in version 3?
Yes it's still there

btw: i got "pure virtual call" error when studio one crash

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”