Do you use a Adblocker on KVR and other music production site?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.

Do you use a Adblocker on KVR and other music production site?

Yes
71%
No
29%

Total votes: 62

RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote:
SampleScience wrote:
Numanoid wrote:Does the OP work as an accountant at KVR, got some real information, or is just a fanboi?
I don't work for KVR, but I'm thinking about advertising on the site, hence the question about adblocker. I guess that there's some data somewhere about the % of people visiting this site and blocking the ads. If it doesn't exist, someone should invent it.
If i had to guess then i'd say the amount of people using adblocker and likes is lower than 15%. Don't worry too much.
as i mentioned earlier...it seems the number of people using adblockers is already around 20%. and the number goes up and down depending on the demographics. the more tech savvy types (as i would expect people on kvr to be) show a higher percentage than average.

plus also that number is growing rapidly.

the over saturation of ads is driving people to find a solution to the problem. site owners and advertisers both have shot themselves in the foot by letting it get so out of hand. i have nothing against people trying to make a living, but that doesnt mean i should have it negatively impact me personally so they can do so.

you hardly ever hear real complaints about tv commercials...theyve been using the same basic format for over half a century. instead of constantly adding to the amount of ads...they have tried to make the ads themselves more engaging. granted...tv is not the internet, and time is the major factor there, but the principal is the same.

im not naive, and i realize that internet advertising is just a part of life, but online advertisers need to change their approach. people are fed up, and rightly so.

the bottom line is that people dont want to see ads. it doesnt matter if you agree or disagree with the reasoning behind it...the fact is that people use adblockers. not only that but the number of people using adblockers is rising...quickly. you cant make people watch ads, and attempting to do so (pop ups, pop overs, embeds, ect.) makes them angry.

for some interesting statistics (from 2014), a quick perusal of which will reveal that kvr visitors are probably about the worst demographic possible for advertisers vis-a-vis adblocking:

http://downloads.pagefair.com/reports/a ... report.pdf
Last edited by chaosWyrM on Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

I subscribe to lots of newsletters from devs, which I check for news, deals, etc

They don't go in my trash, I browse through 'em

But I use adblocker on sites like KVR, because I just don't like having to stare at ads every second.

When it comes to google ads it seems somewhere along the way it was forgotten: that less can be more

The TV format of advertising has absolutely changed. Used to be a program could be about 53 minutes. Now it's only just 40. I expect that to change more. Pretty soon you'll watch a 28-minute program in a 60 minute time slot.

TV is another thing I don't use anymore. If it's good, and goes to Netflix or DVD, I'll see it later. Screw broadcast TV. Too expensive to watch with cable, and too annoying to watch with advertising.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Jace-BeOS wrote:The TV format of advertising has absolutely changed. Used to be a program could be about 53 minutes. Now it's only just 40. I expect that to change more. Pretty soon you'll watch a 28-minute program in a 60 minute time slot.

TV is another thing I don't use anymore. If it's good, and goes to Netflix or DVD, I'll see it later. Screw broadcast TV. Too expensive to watch with cable, and too annoying to watch with advertising.
thats the same format...theyve just shifted the times around a little. its not even that much of a shift really.

an hour long show in the 60's (star trek) was just about 50 mins. now a regular network hour long show is 42-43 mins...a cable network show is still around 50ish.

even a show that doesnt have any commercials at all like game of thrones is like 55 mins.

and consider station ids and promos are longer/more frequent now...not technically "ads"

all in all its not really that big of a difference.
ImageImageImage

chaosWyrM wrote: for some interesting statistics (from 2014), a quick perusal of which will reveal that kvr visitors are probably about the worst demographic possible for advertisers vis-a-vis adblocking:

http://downloads.pagefair.com/reports/a ... report.pdf
Thanks for the document! As for people who don't want to see ads, I'm one of them myself. Depending on the site, I can disable adblocker if the ads are non-invasive. Rekkerd.org is a good example of a site with just enough interesting ads. For my own webzine (Obscure Waves: http://obscurew.blogspot.ca/ ) I plan to use ads to generate incomes, but it will be subtle and it won't take much space. I don't want my readers to feel assaulted by ads when all they really want is to read and listen to music.

Jace-BeOS wrote:The TV format of advertising has absolutely changed. Used to be a program could be about 53 minutes. Now it's only just 40. I expect that to change more. Pretty soon you'll watch a 28-minute program in a 60 minute time slot.
Or tickers that run at the bottom of the screen continuously, like at news channels, only that it is commercials...

Numanoid wrote:
Or tickers that run at the bottom of the screen continuously, like at news channels, only that it is commercials...
while im not saying no one does that, and i dont know where you are, but ive never EVER seen a crawl that was populated with ads. they dont do that here. it wouldnt make sense. they would have to add that at the show level, which couldnt possibly run ads that were applicable to all regions where the show is viewed. it would be a waste of effort for minimal returns.

i guess the network could work out a system for that themselves, but i dont see crawl ads demanding the kinds of prices it would take to make that worth while....and everyone would hate it...including the people making the shows the crawls are playing over.

i have seen though hd channels showing sd content and filling the side bars with stuff. its generally not ads though...well not ads for anything other than that channels programming.
ImageImageImage

Numanoid wrote:
Exactly!! :mad:

And the elimination of credits and opening themes.

And the volume of the commercials. (supposedly the FCC mandated that commercials cannot be louder than programming, but I don't watch broadcast TV any more to know if this changed)
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”