Guitar Hero MIDI Drum Set Advice

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello Everyone,

I found a Guitar Hero Drum Set (Wii Version) that someone was throwing away and I have a couple of questions about possibly trying to connect it to a PC (Windows 7) to use as a Midi controller.

The set visually is in pretty good condition but I think the little cymbal wires are not connected.
Also I do not own a Wii so I don't own a Wii controller which also means that I have no way at the moment to test it out to see if the set even works.

I have done some research, but I was wondering what my options would be at trying to get this set to work. I would like to just hookup a Midi to USB cable but I don't think this will actually work. I have read that you need a Wii controller to power the set? I believe I also read that the Midi port does not have any kind of power capabilities?

Just debating if I want to take the chance to solder the cymbal wires, purchase a Wii controller, and purchase a Midi to USB cable just to find out that the set does or does not work.
Is anyone currently using Wii Guitar Hero drums through a Midi to USB cable that could verify this is worth doing?

Anyways, if anyone has any advice they would like to share.
Thank You for reading this post.

I know that it *IS* possible to use the hardware itself (I used the old Playstation ones for a short while) but I wasn't overly impressed. You're probably better off getting some cheap pads. But if you do insist on using the Wii drums you could use it with something like OSCulator like the guy in this tutorial.

I wasn't overly impressed by their performance but that could be due to the wireless issues I faced (There was a hell of a lot of wireless interference in my old studio. Living in London was rather painful) but they did the job.

The kit itself is pretty easy to expand (I was using 2 kick pedals and a couple other pads that I'd scrounged together) but honestly if I was going to go full on homebrew for a kit it may be better (and potentially even cheaper depending on the state of the current kit) to just grab a few piezo transducers and then fit them in remo practice pads or just make your own pads and connect them to a cheap trigger.

edit: I just thought: IF you could get hold of a cheap/old trigger you could always use the current pads, their piezo transducers (not sure how good they are) and plug them into a trigger. That way you'd have a working "kit" plus it would then be expandable down the line as well without having to mess with external software like OSCulator and propriety hardware like the Wii Controller. Ultimately the drum kit that comes with guitar hero is just a cheap e-kit with everything plugging into their propriety controller so that it can send the correct message to the host (Wii in this case).
I need a soundcloud ¬¬

Thank You Very Much For Your Response
When looking up info in the past I saw that page you refer to.

I actually have found some Rock Band Drum set parts here and there as well, but I believe everything I have found is from the original Rock Band because they are USB and not wireless and don't have velocity sensitive pads and also no cymbals.

You mention that you added a couple other pads to your set as well as double pedals.
I am aware that you can split the pedals into two, but what method did you use to add extra pads to your RB set?

I unfortunately don't have enough knowledge about building my own set like you mention.
I would like to use the GH velocity sensitive pads that come with the set if possible.
I have been trying to research / come up with a way to some how power the set without any wireless Wii controller needed.

If anyone is interested in these products they come up first on the list when you search
"wii classic controller to usb"

Probably won't really work but in doing some more research I came across a product that is a Wii Classic controller to USB adapter. The GH drum set has the male "nunchuck" end wire that plugs into the Wiimote, wondering if somehow you can plug that end into this adapter and then just hookup the USB to my PC? Not sure if this adapter and or the GH drum set is capable of receiving power through this adapter or even to send the Midi through it to the PC. Would be great if it could do both eliminating the need for a Midi cable all together.

If anyone has any thoughts, please feel free to share.
Not a huge deal, just trying to mess around with what I have to create some kind of Frankenstein set.

I realized the other day that the only port on the Guitar Hero drum set I have is a Midi In.
The set I found is the older model that has the wedge shaped cymbals and the controller is at the back of the set.
I believe the newer set has Midi In and Midi Out.

Anyways if my Wii adapter idea above does not work (still looking for someone who has tried this), does anyone know of any inexpensive ways to hook these pads up to something that can send the velocity sensitive midi data via USB to my PC?
Caysi mentioned above of hooking up pads into a "cheap trigger" but I don't really know of any devices to do this.

I assume he means something like this "ddrum DDTi Drum Trigger Interface"
Meaning I would solder 1/4" jack ends to each pads wire and then hook each one into the drum trigger box? Unfortunately most of the trigger boxes I have seen, seem to be $150 and up. At that price if I add a little more money I could get a whole electronic set (it would be a cheap set obviously).

If anyone else has any ideas or info to share, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You

Any updates with this mate?
I'm looking at doing the exact same thing.
Thank you

I wasn't impressed with mine, as I aints no good. lol but I did get into the Rock Band ones, without actual velocity, they are great and hold up fine in your house, at least.

w/guitar hero I think most of that info is on Youtube...
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”