One Synth Challenge #77: Charlatan (Taron wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Charlatan

Welcome to the 77th One Synth Challenge! It's a friendly music competition where you can win cool prizes but most importantly, meet amazing musicians, and learn a lot about mixing, sound design, and more! :)

OSC Community Resources to get you started:
* Have patches? Post them and we'll put the link here!
101 Kicks by Tjgoa

The classic beast of a virtual analogue synthesizer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhgVCmdaQrg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aau2g5_ytSY

Prizes:
(Would you like to be a donator? Contact me via PM or go ahead and post your intended donation here! Get a cool mention on our donator wall of honor)

KV331 Audio : Synthmaster

Dmitry Sches : Diversion

Tritik : 1 tkDelay Plugin

Guda Audio : Euterpe XL

Wusik : 1 bundle of Wusik 8000, Wusik Station 8, and Wusik EVE v3

Abstract Cats Music : AbiTron Bank for Synthmaster (Soon to be released!)

JRR Shop : UVI: Mello

satYatunes : One of any commercial product

stardustmedia : Professional studio mix down and mastering on one track of your choosing (See Disclaimer)

MaxSynths : Free choice of either Crisalys, Cryologic, Teutonic Tension or aPiano

The Unfinished : Any two soundsets of Choice

Rob Lee Music : A soundset for either: Sylenth1, Predator, Largo, Blofeld, PPGV3 or Dune

Luftrum : One soundset free of choice.

Kreativ Sound: RAW Bundle
(RAW Bass, RAW Drums, RAW TranSID, RAW Textures)

Aiyn Zahev Sounds: 2 Soundsets of choice
(Uplifting Trance Presets)

Studio 13.37: Pro audio studio on a USB stick

Pooya Payvar (Stonail) : 1 custom made Max for [Ableton] Live: controller, midi or audio effect

Mulperi : 1 Soundbank of Choice

Dream Audio Tools : 1 Indie Fingers bundle (Indie Fingers volumes One and Two)

Bjulin : Inspire soundset for Zebra²

LeapIntoTheVoid : Enchantment Of Absynth Trilogy

Bluff Munkey - 2 soundsets of choice

Solidtrax : 1 Soundset of choice

Any other offers of prizes will be greatly appreciated.

Questions? Comments? Concerns? You want some love? Just post here in this thread :)
Last edited by bjporter on Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:36 pm, edited 11 times in total.

This looks like fun :tu:

Wohohooo, wowsa. In stark contrast to #76's Mantra Evo, this is your friendly neighborhood classic, tame to the max (in principle) and staggeringly robust in feel. As weird as this may sound, I already miss the wackiness of the Evo, haha.
I haven't seen the Brainstorm in any OSC, yet, which is one I would be very excited about doodling with, but a purist round of this round's Charlatan should get pretty exciting, too.
Something tells me the results of this will sound VERY, very official! 8-)

I'm excited! :)

Next OSC I have to skip... :(
No AU... :( :( :(
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

This was a perfect choice! :tu: :clap:

I know the previous version and just saw, that the new one has some extra features.
The basic sound from this synth is one of the best of all free synth. Excellent oscillators, good sounding filters ...
I expect an amazing month with this synth! :party:
soundcloud.com/photonic-1

Ha! Good choice.
And the chance to do some advertisement on an old RuediRena power pop track from the first Charlatan OSC which flies a little under the radar on the SoundCloud these days. :hihi:

https://soundcloud.com/ruedirena/ruedirena-global-pitch

RuediRena - Global Pitch

Looking forward to what this new version can do. Maybe the muse will give us some new power-poppy ideas.

Have a nice day, guys.
Ruedi

deft_bonz wrote:Next OSC I have to skip... :(
No AU... :( :( :(
Yes it kind of sucks, I have to skip too. But what to do, lots of free synths are like that, can't really complain I guess
circuit modeling and 0-dfb filters are cool

Here we go! I am in this one for sure :) Now lets get right to it and share some kicks :D
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Wow this sucks

I guess I'm out too... No Mac version. Oh well, more time to work on my "real" tracks... :)

Considering participating this month, but i have 2 questions about the rules:
Any effect that transform the sounds to make them unrecognizable as being from the synth is not allowed.
Does that include pitch modulation with a LFO inside the synth? I don't mean a subtle vibrato, rather frequency modulation type which can radically alter the sound, but is something i use very often because it gives you a wide range of possibilities.
DAW effects are allowed, as are 3rd party effects if they are freeware and easily available (this does not include: plugin betas, demo, magware or freeware that expire UNLESS a special exception for that month is stated)
Does that mean i'm not allowed to use the Tone2 effect plugins (Warmverb e.g.) or DiversionFx CM which came with special issues of CM or Beat mag? Would be a shame really.

This seems like a pretty good synth, but for percussion i'm not so shure. I wonder why they have decided to only have two waveforms in OSC1 and no sine in the whole synth?

For the mac users: Install a proper OS like Windows 7 on your toys and it will work like an actual computer. :D

TheBellows wrote:This seems like a pretty good synth, but for percussion i'm not so shure. I wonder why they have decided to only have two waveforms in OSC1 and no sine in the whole synth?

For the mac users: Install a proper OS like Windows 7 on your toys and it will work like an actual computer. :D
Thanks. Thought it was just me but I can't get a decent kick out of this to save my life, even with heavy compression, short decay and every waveform combination I could think of.

Maybe somebody else will have better luck and share their brainstorm with the rest of us.

Hey guys, check out the community patchbanks for this
http://www.kvraudio.com/product/charlat ... /downloads

I assure you there's good percussion in there - try solidtrax bank for e.g. :)

This is the closest i can get i think, it's sounds a bit dead, but could work with a little bit of reverb and some EQ adjustments i guess.
http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=055 ... 7557932765

Return to “Instruments”