Polyplex- Changing Pitch

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi friends ,

I have a question on Polyplex . When I change the pitch ( increase or decrease ) , how do I know that its in sync with the projects pitch ? How do I find the pitch ( or note ) of that sample ?

I find that few presets have different pitches or random pitch setting . Won't this alter the overall pitch . Is it a good practice to have different pitches for different instruments ? ( For example , a different pitch for kick and different for hi hat or any one shot sample ) ?
Thanks

I'm not quite sure what you're asking. Most people just listen to something and determine if it's in key or not. If it doesn't sound like it's in tune then change it.
Sweet child in time...

at pitch value '0' , what's the pitch or key of that in polyplex ?
And why do the presets have different pitch values for different instruments ?
For example , they have a different pitch value on the kick and a different pitch value on the hi-hat and a different one on the one shot sample .

'fraid you can either:
use your ears
'cos pitch '0' on the factory maps may well be arbitrary
or could be a certain frequency
and when you load your own maps pitch '0' could be anything at all
'0' is just the sample's original state
which could be 457Hz just to really throw you off....
or:
put them through a spectrum analyser
which won't be great for 'noisy' sounds
but may be ok for tonal stuff
at least until you layer them and have to pinpoint peaks and shift individual pitches accordingly....
or:
don't worry about it
hit the random buttons and twiddle 'til it sounds 'right'

dave

dave dove wrote:'fraid you can either:
use your ears
'cos pitch '0' on the factory maps may well be arbitrary
or could be a certain frequency
and when you load your own maps pitch '0' could be anything at all
'0' is just the sample's original state
which could be 457Hz just to really throw you off....
or:
put them through a spectrum analyser
which won't be great for 'noisy' sounds
but may be ok for tonal stuff
at least until you layer them and have to pinpoint peaks and shift individual pitches accordingly....
or:
don't worry about it
hit the random buttons and twiddle 'til it sounds 'right'

dave
I can hit the random button but I am just worried if it would go messy on the mix along with the other instruments . Atleast the one shot samples must be in tune . Am I correct ?

The simple answer is "use your ears". If they are out of tune you should be able to tell and you can tweak them. Even if you use the random button you can fix them after.
Sweet child in time...

Deep Purple wrote:The simple answer is "use your ears". If they are out of tune you should be able to tell and you can tweak them. Even if you use the random button you can fix them after.
Thanks .

The only question I have is :

Is it ok to have different pitches on different instruments ?
Musically speaking shouldn't all the instruments have the same pitch values ?

sorry if i speaking the obvious :/

a lot of sounds
and especially percussion sounds
are built on multiple tones at different pitches
often these are 'in tune' but many are not
it is right that most sounds 'should' be in tune - not the same pitch - but within a group of pitches that form a scale
most people can tell if tones don't fit together
but what fits is cultural and not a universal set of rules
some genres of music don't follow the norm
and with percussion this is less fixed and, surprisingly, many percussion sounds don't fit any rules
you'll prolly find that when you put your sounds into a track that some tweaking of pitch is required
which is normal for presets etc
if you are unsure whether a sound is in tune it may be worth doing some kind of ear training online

polyplex does some very complex layering which is tough to get right
i found its sounds impressive until put in a mix
then they needed such a lot of work to fit
so you're not alone....

hope this helps
i not very good at explaining

dave

vignesh.vijay wrote:Musically speaking shouldn't all the instruments have the same pitch values ?
That would make for very boring music. Pretty much any piece of music you care to name has pitch variation.
Sweet child in time...

Deep Purple wrote:
vignesh.vijay wrote:Musically speaking shouldn't all the instruments have the same pitch values ?
That would make for very boring music. Pretty much any piece of music you care to name has pitch variation.
If it's harmonized . Say if the root note is C , having a G note is not gonna have any problem if it is a drum machine like polyplex .

Having a B note ( for root C ) in a drum machine would be a bad idea .

Bump .

Does anyone know what's the note when Pitch Value is '0' ?

again

it is whatever pitch the sample was sampled at
no particular pitch

dave

dave dove wrote:again

it is whatever pitch the sample was sampled at
no particular pitch

dave
ohh ok . So for rhythm do you use random pitches irrespective of the project's root ? Or do you harmonize sounds in polyplex like have G or E for each sample if the root note is C ?

sorry mate

i don't do notes
i don't do polyplex either
bought it
sold it
don't really do samples much.....

random pitches isn't going to work
you going to have to use your ears
you will have to set pitch by ear for each layer
most people tune kicks by what sounds right

dave

Percussion instruments are most commonly divided into two classes: Pitched percussion instruments, which produce notes with an identifiable pitch, and unpitched percussion instruments, which produce notes or sounds without an identifiable pitch.

Most of the drums you'll be using in Polyplex are unpitched. Theyre noise and dont produce a single note. (an 808 snare is white noise with a snare envelope.) Some Toms or Kicks are pitched and Polyplex has 2 "Tonal" categories. Which consist of all Pitched sounds.

The pitch slider on each sample changes the pitch in 1 semitone increments. But since most percussion is unpitched, you dont need to worry about what key it's in. It's just playing it faster or slower for your liking. Just another tool to help you layer the samples...

And Each sample is in a different key. If you wanted to change one of the pitched instruments to a certain key, you'd have to identify the original key first. You can do this by playing each note on a keyboard, while listening to the sound. You'll be able to tell.... 1 Semitone=1 half-step on your keyboard. (C - C#)

Polyplex is the shit btw. I've been adding my own samples and it's crazy how it easy it is to make sounds youve never heard before and that actually sound good.

Return to “Effects”