That long-awaited Rhino update...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Rhino

I went to the site to get the latest update. Been forever since I downloaded a version of Rhino. The site let me log in, but does not seem to remember any of my past purchases.
All I need to be happy is one more VSTi.

Any future for Rhino ? :pray:

Users have requested a new GUI, but this pretty much means a new plugin. Apart from that, I'm not sure it needs any new features.... does it ?

Big Tick wrote:Users have requested a new GUI, but this pretty much means a new plugin. Apart from that, I'm not sure it needs any new features.... does it ?
Users like updates - it stops the product looking like it's been abandoned.

Do what phone-devs do - add an update and in the change-log say "minor bug-fixes/tweaks" but don't actually change anything.
No, just kidding! :D (Not the 1st paragraph, though.)

Ayorinde wrote:
Big Tick wrote:Users have requested a new GUI, but this pretty much means a new plugin. Apart from that, I'm not sure it needs any new features.... does it ?
Users like updates - it stops the product looking like it's been abandoned.

Do what phone-devs do - add an update and in the change-log say "minor bug-fixes/tweaks" but don't actually change anything.
No, just kidding! :D (Not the 1st paragraph, though.)
Precisely :lol:

Well... The possibility to select "ready made" algorithms in the way of DX7, SY77 could be good. And a way to save "algorithm" (matrix) configurations for later use too. And while we're at it, I would like to save oscillator configurations (complete with wave, envelopes, etc) as elements for later use (even on the same patch). The same would apply to the filter elements.

And yes, a new GUI would be good. Rhino is very underrated, IMO, and would benefit of some publicity given by the news on the update.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Well... The possibility to select "ready made" algorithms in the way of DX7, SY77 could be good. And a way to save "algorithm" (matrix) configurations for later use too....
:tu: +1
A basic requirement for an "FM" synth, imo.

Ayorinde wrote:
fmr wrote: Well... The possibility to select "ready made" algorithms in the way of DX7, SY77 could be good. And a way to save "algorithm" (matrix) configurations for later use too....
:tu: +1
A basic requirement for an "FM" synth, imo.
Wait! Yamaha didn't patent them, did they? :o

I will vote in favour of a scalable GUI like u-he did with Zebralette, Podolski and Tyrell N6, with size steps from 100% - 1040x500 to 200% - 2080x1000.

As monitor resolutions increase, Rhino's UI size needs to increase; as users get older, eye resolution decreases and they need higher-contrast skins. However, both improve workflow for everyone. I am on a 5-year-old laptop at 1920x1080 and my next one will have higher resolution. I would be very happy to pay for a Rhino2 with both scalable GUI and higher-contrast skin.

I also believe that many people have no knowledge of its sound and features, and the benefits of Rhino over more expensive synths. I rarely see it mentioned in forums, yet it is one of my Top 5.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

It used to be a very talked about synth in the mid 2000's, as were many other synths. But a new era of different kind of synths has been in effect for about 7 years now. So all those which were once popular, are not that hot any more. Quite a few reasons for that, but one of them is gui and overall focus towards the kind of timbre they produced.

There was a more experimental and out-there vibe to synths in general from the previous era. A more cosmic vibe.
Now the focus has shifted towards the quality of sound, emulation accuracy and perhaps following up with genre trends.
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

This synth still sounds great to this day.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

Return to “Instruments”