Free FM Synthesizer Dexed (VST Windows and Mac)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dexed

Now that I started up it looked like it was supposed to. So I tried to replicate the bug. And it happens when I first turn on the visual keyboard, and then turn it off. This leaves me with the strip in the image I posted!

*contributing*

So the VST ID is fixed from 0.9 forward?
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

asb2m10 wrote:
electro wrote:The Breakpoint parameter on Dexed is still different from the breakpoint parameter on the DX7.
Please explain what is different.
I think its just the parameter readout. DX7 (and patch sheets) displaying A-1, D-3 etc. with Dexed displaying (0-99). The ideal solution would be to display both conventions.
asb2m10 wrote:
electro wrote:Can you make the top half of the cart manager auto-transmit to the DX7 for real-time patch auditioning?
Sorry no, there is no "audition switch" in Dexed and for me this would be somewhat annoying to reset the DX7 content each time I double click on a cartridge by default.
What other way would there be to browse presets on the DX7 like you can on the VSTI?
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

asb2m10 wrote: You can get the 0.8 version here : http://le-son666.com/software/dexed/

If you use Live and change the .dll / .vst filename and you should be able to use 0.8 and 0.9 at the same time.
This works, thanks!

electro wrote:So the VST ID is fixed from 0.9 forward?
Yes and forever... the internal plugin version will be kept at 1.0 to ensure plugin state compatiblity.
electro wrote:The Breakpoint parameter on Dexed is still different from the breakpoint parameter on the I think its just the parameter readout. DX7 (and patch sheets) displaying A-1, D-3 etc. with Dexed displaying (0-99).
Oh this... yes Dexed shows the program value and not the actual note; it will be addressed in the next version.
rootberg wrote:Now that I started up it looked like it was supposed to. So I tried to replicate the bug. And it happens when I first turn on the visual keyboard, and then turn it off. This leaves me with the strip in the image I posted!
I'll address this when I'll have Windows 10 with Reaper 5 :D

Anyone having a 'bug' where when opening Dexed and hitting some notes, it only puts out sinewaves, changing the preset/patch doesn't do anything either, it just outputs a continuous drone of sines?

Hitting init, loading a new bank, re-loading Dexed and restarting Cubase don't seem to help either..

It only seems to happen sometimes, I'm in C8..

Also, since there is no manual and I'm not an expert FM programmer, is there a global envelope function? I'm running the DX E-Piano for example and I want to shorten the decay, on FM7 this was straight forward in the 'Easy' window, is there such an overall tab in Dexed?

Thanks.

No, there's no global amp envelope but you can right click and copy any envelope to another operator . Look at the selected algorithm and make the envelopes shorter for all operators in the bottom row.

A little button (or a local menu or anything else, it's simply a suggestion) in the kind of "Propage this envelope to the 5 others" would be perhaps an idea to keep aside. It wouldn't alter the DX7 emulation itself and would add simply a facility in the GUI.

It's simply a 2 cent idea for a future version...
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Do you mean something more than what is already there: right-click over the panel to copy and paste the operator and envelope values?

BlackWinny wrote:A little button (or a local menu or anything else, it's simply a suggestion) in the kind of "Propage this envelope to the 5 others" would be perhaps an idea to keep aside. It wouldn't alter the DX7 emulation itself and would add simply a facility in the GUI.

It's simply a 2 cent idea for a future version...
Right now, you already have the possibility to copy an envelope to any operator. For me it's enough. Having (another) choice where you can copy one envelope to all operators at once is a bit redundant IMO (Besides, I will hardly want the same envelope in ALL operators.

Something I would like is a button to toggle any operator ON and OFF. This would be a really great time saver, because, instead of having to turn the volume all down to zero (and risking to forget what was the exact value of that parameter in the first place), I could simply click (for example on the operator number) and deactivate it.
Last edited by fmr on Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

I newly discovered Dexed as a wonderful and warm sounding synthesizer (much better sound quality than Hexter) on Linux.
With automation I can change in Dexed with my DAW (Ardour4) almost every parameter. So frequency (det, coarse, fine) in real time(!) while holding a note. Unfortunately this is impossible with the "Output level" of the six operators. But with this feature one could change the sound quality ("crescendo" etc) of a long note like on real wind or string instruments.
Will this feature come with aftertouch and breath controller in the next version? This would be a giant step to a really flexible instrument. (I use version 0.8 lv2 by kxstudio)

rootberg wrote:Now that I started up it looked like it was supposed to. So I tried to replicate the bug. And it happens when I first turn on the visual keyboard, and then turn it off.
Where can you turn on the visual keyboard? Can't find it ...

Dandruff wrote:Where can you turn on the visual keyboard? Can't find it ...
Just press "PARM" in the lower left corner, and then select/deselect "show keyboard".

Thanks! (GUI Bug confirmed)

FIXED (0.9.1)
Last edited by Dandruff on Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

can you change the CART directory to point to another folder? i don't like any of my DAW data on my C: drive.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Return to “Instruments”