zebralette questions or suggestions

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Urs, U-he and users!

I'm surprised its took me so long but tonight was the first time I've sat down to study your legendary, now Linux-friendly synths properly since the beta testing began. I'll be buying at least one as soon as they come out of beta for Linux although they do seem quite stable and fully-featured already from my limited testing.

I'm currently trying to get to grips with Zebralette and the first few things I'm wondering about are:

* There doesn't seem to be an undo. If I choose 'Clear' from the context menu of the waveform editor and I've not saved my preset shortly before doing so, am I out of luck? I'd be happy enough if undo only worked for the waveform editor.

* The manual says I can import GeoMorph wavesets although I don't see any options to load or import wavesets, only copy and paste wavesets or load complete presets. I'm prob getting ahead of myself a bit here as I've yet to try any of the wav -> zebra converters.

* It'd be great if the main zebralette window featured a virtual LED to indicate MIDI input activity. This is esp. useful when you have multiple z. windows open simultaneously.

Thanks!

Two more things before I call it a night.

The first step of part 1 of the Zebralette tutorial in the manual says to select Initialize "on the display at the top of Zebralette's window'. I presume this is referring to the preset selector but I don't see any 'Initialize' option. I presume 'Initialize' is the default preset that shows the version number and copyright notice etc?

Also, is it possible to manually enter parameter values using the computer keyboard? If not, could you add this to the wishlist please?

Thanks again!

Urs? Anyone?

Maybe these will be fixed in Zebra 3? Will there be a Z3 Zebralette (free) edition again?

You might have to wait a bit for a reply. The u-he crew at are Musikmesse and probably won't be back to answer questions until the weekend at the earliest.

Thanks bmrzycki!

Urs / U-he?

One more bump plus a pretty please answer my questions! Please?

PS for abique and co

I've got to try some older versions before I say anything for sure but the latest Linux Zebra running under current Arch (w/ gcc 5.1.0) is looking rather crash-happy and unstable for me under the latest Tracktion 6 beta and qtractor 0.6.7.

Would any other Arch users care to comment on your experience with the latest Zebra build? Maybe I'll have to go back to a gcc4 distro to use Uhe?

I can answer one of my own questions now.

GeoMorph waves (under Linux and maybe OSX too?) are stored under ~/.u-he/Zebra2/Modules/Oscillator . GeoMorph wavesets are loaded using the waveform file selector window which is the button half-way up the left-hand side of the UI. It is populated with three dots by default.

I'd like to see this info added to the Zebralette manual when it gets updated please.

Windows user here, but maybe I can help.
There doesn't seem to be an undo.
I don't know what host you're using, but Zebralette may rely on the host's undo. I use Reaper, and ctrl+Z works fine for me.
The first step of part 1 of the Zebralette tutorial in the manual says to select Initialize "on the display at the top of Zebralette's window'. I presume this is referring to the preset selector but I don't see any 'Initialize' option.
'Initialize' is at the end of the Local presets list. Click on the preset selector at the top of the interface, use the arrow to scroll down to the bottom, it should be there. It is also the default preset upon opening a new instance of Zebralette. Alternatively, open the 'Presets' tab near the bottom, click on 'Local' and choose it from there.
Also, is it possible to manually enter parameter values using the computer keyboard?
No, but you can fine-tune values by holding the Shift key.
Free BassTables for Xfer Serum 1 | 2
2016 Synthmaster Song Contest Winner Presets

Thanks for that AJYoung!

I forgot to update this thread to say I'd found the Initialize preset but thanks for pointing that out anyway!

As for Undo, I need to check with abique to see if this is supposed to work under the Linux port as it doesn't work under Tracktion nor qtractor for me, using CTRL+Z.

It'd be nice to hear what Urs has to say wrt adding a MIDI input indicator and adding manual parameter entry so you need not save the preset, find the value, edit it externally then import it back in - which is the current workaround! :)

danboid wrote:I'd like to see this info added to the Zebralette manual when it gets updated please.
Page 13, "Oscillator Preset".

Howard wrote:
danboid wrote:I'd like to see this info added to the Zebralette manual when it gets updated please.
Page 13, "Oscillator Preset".
P13 should include the Linux path too when the manual gets updated as its quite different to the OSX one.

The GeoMorph section on p11 could do to mention that GeoMorph wavesets are also called oscillators. If thats not the case then I don't know how to load GeoMorph wavesets.

Thanks danboid - I'll have closer look at the manual and edit wherever necessary :-)
(BTW it's not just GeoMorph, it's the same for any oscillator mode)

Another small but closely related suggestion for an update to the manual would be to give Wav2Zebra2Osc a mention.

It's only available for Windows but seems to work fine under wine and it would seem to be the best Zebra(lette) wav -> osc converter out there.

I failed to get blueberrything to compile under Arch x64 - it requires codelite to build which I've never seen get used by anything else.

I just wanted to chime in and say that Zebralette is probably my favorite synth...that includes some commercial ones I own as well. I have a good understanding of every parameter however it would be nice to have some FX combo examples from folks who have a better understanding.

For example.
exophase on Fx1 and filter on Fx2 can make a pretty realistic filter sweep and using velocity on the two adds a good feel.

phasedist on Fx 1 pretty much cancels Fx2 out.

Choplift sounds better ( to me ) before a filter than after.

I have found some great combos on my own and will put together some examples as well as post some banks.

Zebralette is VERY deep and endlessly inspiring...Thanks U-He

Cheers

Thanks for your tips Rcl!

I'm equally impressed with Zebralette. I'll be buying multiple U-he synths by they time the come out of beta for Linux if not sooner but I'm disappointed to have not had a response from Urs. Maybe he's vowed not to answer Linux users questions until the beta period is over? ;)

Return to “u-he”