One Synth Challenge #77: Charlatan (Taron wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Charlatan

RichardSemper wrote:Hey guys, check out the community patchbanks for this
http://www.kvraudio.com/product/charlat ... /downloads

I assure you there's good percussion in there - try solidtrax bank for e.g. :)
Ah, cool! :tu:

Edit: There seems to be some weird DC producing bugs in there somewhere, when i scroll through some of the banks a few presets don't produce anything but DC. :scared:
Some presets don't produce a sound at all for some reason, i can't see why for instance the snare preset in Charlatan_C19XX_DRUM&FX does not produce any sound what so ever? :?
Last edited by TheBellows on Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TheBellows wrote: For the mac users: Install a proper OS like Windows 7 on your toys and it will work like an actual computer. :D
:uhuhuh:

Lol. I actually have win 7 installed on bootcamp but can't really be bothered making music with it but I guess I could. Though my soundcard (apogee) doesn't work in Win environment.
circuit modeling and 0-dfb filters are cool

To participate in OSC76, I was forced to switch to Win7/Bootcamp and Cubase AI 7 which came for free with my USB audio interface :x There were just enough instrument tracks for my OSC76 guitar track, however, for other songs I would need more of them. Renoise looks like an interesting "DAW" for OSC :) Maybe I will try it out one day...

penguinfromdeep wrote:
TheBellows wrote: For the mac users: Install a proper OS like Windows 7 on your toys and it will work like an actual computer. :D
:uhuhuh:

Lol. I actually have win 7 installed on bootcamp but can't really be bothered making music with it but I guess I could. Though my soundcard (apogee) doesn't work in Win environment.

Running Win 7 w/Bootcamp was the best thing I did in DAW land. After Apple moved from snow leopard I lost alot of functionality. Win 7 is much snappier just as stable and you can access much more software ( not sure if this is really a pro though ). I do love my Apple hardware but am very disappointed with OSs that out run software development to the point that it retards performance. .

To keep on topic...Charlatan V2 is a true gem. The first OSC produced some of the finer tunes from the group. cant wait to see the results this go round.....Im in.

wagtunes wrote:
TheBellows wrote:This seems like a pretty good synth, but for percussion i'm not so shure. I wonder why they have decided to only have two waveforms in OSC1 and no sine in the whole synth?

For the mac users: Install a proper OS like Windows 7 on your toys and it will work like an actual computer. :D
Thanks. Thought it was just me but I can't get a decent kick out of this to save my life, even with heavy compression, short decay and every waveform combination I could think of.

Maybe somebody else will have better luck and share their brainstorm with the rest of us.
There's 808 one in factory drum bank, I tweaked that one a little, went on layering tho (sub, body, click), didn't wanted to spend a lot of time on kick and processing, just got something fast that is enough for me to move on, there's just Pultec low end trick on sub part, rest is without EQ, sounds barely decent right now, but it's enough for me for this stage :P

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/904 ... rlatan.wav
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Starting to get the hang on the percussive bits here, they sound much better than i expected and i'm impressed by the CPU efficiency.
Maybe a bit early to submit my entry just yet, so this is not official, consider it a teaser:

https://archive.org/download/OSC77TheBe ... %20try.mp3

chk071 wrote:Considering participating this month, but i have 2 questions about the rules:
Any effect that transform the sounds to make them unrecognizable as being from the synth is not allowed.
Does that include pitch modulation with a LFO inside the synth? I don't mean a subtle vibrato, rather frequency modulation type which can radically alter the sound, but is something i use very often because it gives you a wide range of possibilities.
DAW effects are allowed, as are 3rd party effects if they are freeware and easily available (this does not include: plugin betas, demo, magware or freeware that expire UNLESS a special exception for that month is stated)
Does that mean i'm not allowed to use the Tone2 effect plugins (Warmverb e.g.) or DiversionFx CM which came with special issues of CM or Beat mag? Would be a shame really.
Anything the synth does is perfectly fine. Feel free to put every knob to 11.

You are correct about the CM or Beat mag stuff. We have had special CM months though.

Alright, thanks for the heads up. :)

Ah! 2 months in a row. No mac!

I understand cuz there are less Mac synths out there.

How do i choose/browse presets?
I can't find anything related in this UI:
Ensoniq SQ1, Korg Wavestation A/D

Parduz wrote:How do i choose/browse presets?
I can't find anything related in this UI:
It has no built in menu system. You choose the presets from your DAW system, however it handles synths like this. I use Cubase and I use its system which allows me to save patches in a Cubase bank. I can also import other banks through the Cubase import fxb function.

Sorry I can't be of more help but certainly you've had to run into other synths like this. I have tons of them. All of them free.

mcaitch wrote:To participate in OSC76, I was forced to switch to Win7/Bootcamp and Cubase AI 7 which came for free with my USB audio interface :x There were just enough instrument tracks for my OSC76 guitar track, however, for other songs I would need more of them. Renoise looks like an interesting "DAW" for OSC :) Maybe I will try it out one day...
Try tracktion 4. It's free with unlimited tracks, plugins, etc.
satYatunes - Sound and Graphic Designer
Beautiful UI and skins for VST plugins.
Website | Portfolio

I can't get plyphony! when I hit the POLY button it just goes silent.... Grr.

As a Mac user I have to sit this one out, but wan to wish all you PC folks good luck! I'm looking forward to listening to your songs.

Creating some drums right now...
https://instaud.io/8JU

Return to “Instruments”