Why Surfer EQ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It sounds interestin because it follows your sound. For which purposes I will need it and what function it has?

Because everyone use "normal" EQs they should be enough, or not?

If surfer EQ has advantages, why do not every professional use it?

I dont understand when to use it and why?

i'll bet at least some pros use surfing eq/compression.

it looks like you can get a surfing eq for $200, so you wouldn't have to have a huge budget. http://www.soundradix.com/products/surfer-eq

if a home recordist were on a really tight budget, they could emulate 'surfing eq' through the daw's automation.

Don't forget parameter automation is stepped (at block size). There are no real sample precise automation, so tools like dynamic eq are very welcome.

It would be fine to have something like EQ that can be automated through the extra audio input (sidechain) with control signal.

dekadenz wrote:Don't forget parameter automation is stepped (at block size). There are no real sample precise automation,
not always, AFAIK there is at least one eq with sample precise automation...
dekadenz wrote: It would be fine to have something like EQ that can be automated through the extra audio input (sidechain) with control signal.
you mean something similar to Space Boy?

or WavesFactory Trackspacer, for a more recent and x64-compatible plugin.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

i downloaded the demo since it's on sale now.. and gave it a go.. it's interesting..a nice sounding eq.. i find it a bit odd since it's so automatic in some ways.. at least once you engage the 'surf' buttons. i found that it works better within narrow octave ranges and once gain gets too high it sounds more like resonance and a filter sweep than an EQ.

i'm going to experiment with it more and see how it is on different sources with less drastic settings. i didn't think i had too much gain boost/reduction going but it lost its transparency when going from a low note to a high note or something with less to something with more harmonics.

i adjusted the sensitivity and noise floor to try and get it to respond more smoothly but it was obvious to hear when it was tracking the source material.

this may be really useful in more creative sound design ways for me than in a mixing context.

I would say for mixing bass it is really hot plugin

Melda mautodynamiceq can do the same (and more) and is this week at 50% discount.

webhamster wrote:Melda mautodynamiceq can do the same (and more) and is this week at 50% discount.
melda can shift the processed frequency with the source notes and apply the process only for that note in time?

Yes MAutoDynamicEQ is pretty powerful IMO

You can apply harmonics, dynamic processing, speed & accuracy of tracking, min/max frequency of tracking etc...

My goto EQ is Equilibrium these days but MAuto has a great tool-kit when needed.

Yes, you can track the pitch of the incoming note to the eq freq (or anything else for that matter).

mautodynamiceq is not just an eq it is also a multiband compressor. Pretty complete eq (though can use a lot of processing power obviously when a lot of bands are used).

lachrimae wrote:Yes MAutoDynamicEQ is pretty powerful IMO

You can apply harmonics, dynamic processing, speed & accuracy of tracking, min/max frequency of tracking etc...

My goto EQ is Equilibrium these days but MAuto has a great tool-kit when needed.
can you send me the preset you use?

Ok, although I swore I'd never use it I uploaded 3 presets to the online user exchange :dog:

There's some inconsistency in how well it detects the root note (seems to jump to the loudest and not necessarily the root note) so I placed the HP filter 3 octaves away. You may have to play with it to get it to detect properly, depending on the source material (also beware of phasing issues).

SurferEQ takes a midi note as a tuning input, I think.

camsr wrote:SurferEQ takes a midi note as a tuning input, I think.
No it was this one:
http://www.liquidsonics.com/software_filtrate.htm

Return to “Effects”