New Roland commission of a Reon analog synth ...

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2015/ ... available/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnP0coCfNaM

Roland has released a new analog synthesizer, without fanfare, the Roland Driftbox-R Limited Analog Monosynth.

The Roland DriftBox-R Limited is an updated version of the original Reon DriftBox, with AIRA green styling.
Originally commissioned by Roland to demonstrate the the SBX-1 Sync Box, the DriftBox-R Limited features two oscillators, filter, and envelope generator.

Control is via five CV/gate connections, letting you integrate the synth with other analog gear.

Features:

Updated version of the original Reon DriftBox
A wide range of functions in a small desktop box
Two VCOs, a great-sounding filter, and an envelope generator
CV/gate I/O for semi-modular flexibility
Use it alone, triggering its envelope with the onboard momentary button
Combine it with other hardware for endless possibilities

Note: While we have not seen an official introduction from Roland yet, the new analog synth is showing up as available at Sweetwater for US $499.
Last edited by Daags on Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

I think this is the cheapest synth in production that has VCOs with hard-sync. The interface looks horrible and cheap, but at least it sounds fine.
"Music is spiritual. The music business is not." - Claudio Monteverdi

$500 seems absolutely insane for something like this. I could build it myself for $50, although I'd probably drop the useless LEDs (oh no, which way did I point the switch! I can't remember and I can only see in light emitted by an LED!) with the exception of perhaps the switches I'd even be able to use identical components including the chassis for that cost.

With $500 however I'd probably be able to buy a full size synthesizer like a SH-2 or similar including a keyboard. (My SH-09 cost me $250.)

It's for US $49.99, right?
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

the Reon Driftbox has already existed for some time ... it seems this synth is just a Roland commission, given a green facelift to match the AIRA LED horror show.
I can't really see that it's been given any updated features though ?
it's $50 more expensive for this Roland commissioned model than the vanilla version.

Sounds good though. I'd like one, but couldn't see myself spending the requisite $450/$500.

Of course if we add labor which includes building, tuning, testing etc., marketing, dealers' share, packaging, transport and I guess various other things, the price for customers would have to be much higher than the price for an experienced person to build a similar unit themselves. I guess something between $200 and $300 would be a "fair" price. The current $450 street price is exaggerated, similar to almost all other synths'. Sadly, there doesn't seem to be a single mass-produced alternative that's cheaper than this with similar features.
"Music is spiritual. The music business is not." - Claudio Monteverdi

I'm really not sure $300 would be "fair" even accounting for all those things. Perhaps $100?

I guess this is an issue with very low volume products and is the reason they haven't produced devices like this up until now.

When you're manufacturing a device that sells with volume in the millions of units something like this in the tens of thousands most likely isn't a great investment. To recoup the investment and still make a reasonable margin you may need an outrageous price like this.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.

This for $500 vs a Microbrute for $400... yeah.

BTW I suspect it has soft-sync. It looks to me like you use the switch to select sync/fm for the second osc and env/fm for the first. Where the modulation comes from is an open question but I suspect the "mod" knob is used to adjust the depth.

On sync mode maybe it only offers hard sync and the knob doesn't do anything at all, but I have a feeling it adjusts the sync pulse level.

This sort of thing is trivial to do so I'd be surprised if they didn't.

Yeah.....no.
the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”