Universal Patch Finder

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Universal Patch Finder

use PM for bug tracking to let this thread a little bit clean :wink:

The beta 16 is out. The PDF manual is updated and few bugs have been fixed regarding the VSTi mode.
however I have a strange thing under studio one: when the VSTi appear, if a popup menu is displayed by UPF, the VSTi window... disappear ! after the popup close, the VSTi window comes back.... If I click on the VSTi window to force focus, this does
not happen anymore... weird... :(

The beta 17 is out. Now, updating a library search only new patches. If you use SHIFT it will rescan
existing patches.
Seems pretty stable. it sounds like a pre-release. finally ! :-)

http://hypercube-softwares.duckdns.org/ ... beta17.exe

note: I left dyndns.org for duckdns.org because dyndns is no longer free.

Hello folks ! The 1.6 the released finally !

I made a video on the new attribute manager: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAiC2vLZujE

Is it just me or is your site down? Wanted to give 1.6 a try...

OMG, indeed :-)

I'm going to see what's going on...

The site is online now. seems to be a memory issue...

Hey Droopy,
I just had to say thank you so much for your time and effort into Universal Patch Finder. I havent tried it yet, but looks like just what I want. Love :)

thanks dude, if you have ideas, send me a PM.

Will Surely DO!

Hey droopy, happy holidays! Have you had a chance to fiddle around with this lately? So curious!

Thanks,
squooshbug

Hello folks, A little 1.7 beta3 is out
http://hypercube-softwares.duckdns.org/beta/

- Fix: Random crash related to colorization of domain values
- Fix: STEAM parser crash on empty indexes (after omnisphere 2 upgrade)
- Fix: SampleTagger try to parse as AIFF if a WAV file path contain AIFF and fail miserably :dog:
- all code migrated on Visual Studio 2013 Community Edition
- code management migrated from svn to git

I want to decrease parsing time, I saw CPU is only used at 30% on my core i7 which is a shame :D
So I'm going to try multithreaded parsing of a library, it should work better.

Regards.

This is a big idea. The problem with most sample and patch browsers is that they are proprietary and only manage assets within that company's product line. The creative process transcends manufacturers, in that when you are looking for sounds, you want to find assets by genre, type of sound, timbre, BPM, etc... and don't want to have to mess with each piece of software's browser and organization paradigm.

I have to say some patch browsers are better than others. The Native Instruments stuff is nice because it allows tagging. The Ableton stuff is not quite cutting it for me because I can't tag and cross reference sounds by multiple criteria. However, I do like how Ableton allows you to save and preview clips of midi combined with the entire instrument chain and settings, which lets you store and audio-preview entire musical ideas.

I haven't tried Universal Patch Finder out yet, but this product seems to be the closest I've seen to a good solution for managing the sounds I've made and purchased across multiple systems.

I know a lot of people use sample librarians like SoundMiner and Basehead in the world of film and game audio. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe those products allow you to manage VST patches. If that is true, Universal Patch Finder has a big leg up on those solutions.

I read through the manual and I have a few questions:

1) I'm wondering if this software can manage assets from disparate sound creators like Ableton Operator, Ableton drum racks, Ableton instrument racks, Soniccharge Microtonic, D16 Drumazon, NI Massive, etc... This means a) can it store tags for those patches in the database and b) can it preview the sound of the patches?

If the answer to question 1b is no, even if the software's engine cannot natively play that file format, would their be a way for the user to manually load up that instrument and have Universal Patch Finder pass midi or some kind of patch-change sysex to the loaded instrument and preview the sound of the UPF highlighted patch?

2) Another thing that would be cool would be for it to manage patches for external hardware synthesizers.

Thanks a lot for your work on this software. It looks like a really well thought-out solution. I think it could have really big implications and could be very successful if it can accomplish the task of being a truly universal, cross-platform patch finder. I look forward to trying it out!

thanks TaoEntropy,

as soon as your vst patch can be saved on disk, or can be found in a database, you can import it in UPF. But things
are more difficult when you want to listen the sound. Actually, you can only listen audio files (AIFF,REX,WAV).

I have an idea to listen vst patch: I could make a tool that record some audio from a VSTi for all patches, a kind
of robot like auto-it freeware, it could record a kind of macro (the user click on the VST GUI) then run it on every
patches and send some MIDI to produce sound. then the final sound, let say MP3, WAV or whatever, will be indexed
in UPF as a "sound example" for the patch.
Funny stuff can be done here, where the tool could recognize if it is a pad or a percussion and send different MIDI
to the VSTi...

there is a lot of stuff to do on this freeware, it could be also a database of MIDI files, chords helper ...

For now, my primary concern is to increase the speed, and this imply a lot of changes in the code, so a lot of work
for a single guy like me :-)

regards.

Hello folks,

finally I think performance improvement will be for 2.0, Here the 1.7RC1 with...
audio waveform
midi snapshot

I have also implemented NI database import for: Massive , FM8 and Absynth.

The manual is also updated.

(May be 1.8 will include a MIDI player)

Have fun.
http://hypercube-softwares.duckdns.org/ ... 1.7rc1.exe

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”