Synth appearance

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote: Wah? It's not my program. It's his. He made it for a purpose, and that's other people using it. Otherwise he wouldn't have released it but would only use it himself.
Actually it's yours.

You may not understand how GPL works, but once it's on your system the code is yours under license that if you were to distribute it further it must be provided under the same license.

You agreed to the license if you copied the software.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

Kriminal wrote:Devs should make all products totally skinable.

There are really good free progs for making skins/knobs/images

Everyones a winner.
This I agree with, and I'd likely have trouble not complaining myself if I were to modify the code in an attempt to "skin" the thing and found out it was near impossible to do so without radical changes and a huge amount of effort.

Yet, I'd still be capable of investing that effort, so it would only be moving the exact same issue somewhere else.

It makes perfect sense to suggest ways the GUI could be improved or to ask someone if they would consider investing the effort to do so. It doesn't make sense to demand it, or to say it "should be".

No it shouldn't. If we were going by "should be", I'd say those making such demands shouldn't ever have been given such a gift if they were known to be such ingrates.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.

aciddose wrote:
chk071 wrote: Wah? It's not my program. It's his. He made it for a purpose, and that's other people using it. Otherwise he wouldn't have released it but would only use it himself.
Actually it's yours.

You may not understand how GPL works, but once it's on your system the code is yours under license that if you were to distribute it further it must be provided under the same license.

Yes, i know, it's a great thing. But i have nothing to do with coding so why should it apply to me? I download and use the program, and treat it like any other program on my harddisk, thus i will also compare it to any other program on my harddisk, because it's nothing special, even with open source license and gift horse status.

Btw, i think the statement that every synths should be skinnable so anyone who doesn't like the skin can skin it himself is the same thing. What if i have no idea how to skin something? A synth or effect plugin should have a good clear GUI. Otherwise it's useless for me if i can't or can't be arsed to skin it. I want to make music with it, not feel the need it to fit it to my needs for hours.
Last edited by chk071 on Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aciddose wrote:
Actually it's yours.

Fine, it's mine. Guess what? I'm throwing it out because the person who gave it to me didn't care enough about its initial creation to make it something that I could actually use "as is."

He should have had more pride in the original work. If I had created it originally, as crappy a programmer as I am, it would have STILL been better than this piece of junk.

For no other reason than personal pride, I would do a better job or, if I can't, not do it at all.

No you wouldn't be better.

You are not better.

You just refused to be.

chk071 wrote:... But i have nothing to do with coding so why should it apply to me? ... i think the statement that every synths should be skinnable so anyone who doesn't like the skin can skin it himself is the same thing. What if i have no idea how to skin something?
Okay fine, but why should anyone else do these things for you? Perhaps they face the same issues.

In fact I can say with relative certainty that they do. They can't read your mind and produce exactly what you want.

When I'm trying to compose a track, I can hear what I want in my head. I can imagine it, I can feel it. I'm not enough of a composer or musician to actually make it a reality.

I expect that other composers should produce what I hear? No.

I'd love if they did, but they don't. I'm more happy with my own creation than what they produce in the vast majority of cases.

Look at what I do! I produce my own synthesizers, to make my own music, with my own GUIs (not completely, I replaced Xhip's GUI to satisfy others and I quite like the result too.)

I write 100% of my own code because I don't like other people's code.

So just imagine what people look like to someone like myself when they are complaining that they are unsatisfied, insinuating that someone owes them their satisfaction.

No, they don't owe you a damn thing!

aciddose wrote:No you wouldn't be better.

You are not better.

You just refused to be.
I don't even know what this means so I'm just going to stop arguing about this.

This synth is horrendous. The GUI is an abomination. I do not have the skill required to fix it. So I don't use it.

As far as I'm concerned, the developer can do what he wants with it.

No demands here.

aciddose wrote:
chk071 wrote:... But i have nothing to do with coding so why should it apply to me? ... i think the statement that every synths should be skinnable so anyone who doesn't like the skin can skin it himself is the same thing. What if i have no idea how to skin something?
Okay fine, but why should anyone else do these things for you? Perhaps they face the same issues.

In fact I can say with relative certainty that they do. They can't read your mind and produce exactly what you want.

When I'm trying to compose a track, I can hear what I want in my head. I can imagine it, I can feel it. I'm not enough of a composer or musician to actually make it a reality.

I expect that other composers should produce what I hear? No.

I'd love if they did, but they don't. I'm more happy with my own creation than what they produce in the vast majority of cases.

Look at what I do! I produce my own synthesizers, to make my own music, with my own GUIs (not completely, I replaced Xhip's GUI to satisfy others and I quite like the result too.)

I write 100% of my own code because I don't like other people's code.

So just imagine what people look like to someone like myself when they are complaining that they are unsatisfied, insinuating that someone owes them their satisfaction.

No, they don't owe you a damn thing!
Dude i think there's a general misunderstanding. I don't care if he improves it or not. It didn't work for me, so i don't use it anymore. I simply used it as an example of the worst GUI i've seen so far. I even said that the synth itself is not bad at all, but the GUI is. You know, even open source coders could do a better GUI than that. Then i would maybe use the stuff. But this GUI is a no go. And even if i could i wouldn't change that because i have enough synth plugins which do the job, and have a 1000 times better and more clear GUI. That thousand windows stuff is a no go in the 101 of GUI and program design. Everyone knows but obviously not this dev. I can only explain it myself that he added more and more stuff, and the GUI space wasn't there.

Bottom line again is, i don't have to use it. I don't have to make it fit to my needs. There's so much more and better stuff that there is no need to.

wagtunes wrote: I don't even know what this means so I'm just going to stop arguing about this.
I couldn't make it any more clear what it means.
wagtunes wrote: If I had created it originally, as crappy a programmer as I am, it would have STILL been better than this piece of junk.
What I mean is that no you "wouldn't" be better. Maybe in some fantasy world, but in the real world we know the following:

(... to my knowledge ...)
  • You didn't write ZynAddSubFX
  • You didn't design a GUI layout for it
  • You didn't do the graphics
  • You haven't contributed to the code, GUI or otherwise
  • You haven't provided any constructive criticism
  • You haven't offered any ideas on how it might be improved
  • You haven't been much interested in the complexity of the issue, or requested any information about it
  • You haven't attempted to make any practical step toward achieving what you insinuate is your goal
  • You likely do not aim to see ZynAddSubFX with an improved GUI or even care at all, but rather merely enjoy insulting it to blow up your own sense of self-esteem
That is all fairly cruel shit.

I do it myself all the time, it's a bad thing to do. I'm not going to attack you for it, I think it's a natural thing we all do at times. I'm just pointing out that it isn't helpful to anyone, especially not to yourself.

Check out this guy.

https://soundcloud.com/noraus

He uses ZunAddSubFx quite a lot, especially on the older songs. Apparently, the "horrendous" GUI doesn't stop him. (
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

chk071 wrote:Bottom line again is, i don't have to use it. I don't have to make it fit to my needs. There's so much more and better stuff that there is no need to.
Then what was the use of bring it up and insinuating that "someone" should do "something" when you don't even care?

I'm not saying you directly stated this, just that I get this impression from the posts I've read. Just having brought it up beyond a simple mention "ZynAddSubFX could really use an improved GUI, that might interest me a bit more in using the plugin."

Still though, even mentioning it at all without having a genuine interest in seeing any benefit come of it seems like nothing more than a bad attitude all around.

Anyone ever heard the idiom "misery loves company" ?

This thread needs to be a lot more positive and not focused on attacking "the worst GUI ever that I don't even care about."

This is a topic I'm very interested in. I'd love to hear opinions on it. I'd love to see constructive critique that I could learn from, because as I'm sure we all know my graphical and aesthetic skills suck!
Last edited by aciddose on Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aciddose wrote: Then what was the use of bring it up and insinuating that "someone" should do "something" when you don't even care?
Can haz quote? I never said someone has to do something. I just stated an example of a bad GUI.

aciddose wrote:
chk071 wrote:Bottom line again is, i don't have to use it. I don't have to make it fit to my needs. There's so much more and better stuff that there is no need to.
Then what was the use of bring it up and insinuating that "someone" should do "something" when you don't even care?

I'm not saying you directly stated this, just that I get this impression from the posts I've read. Just having brought it up beyond a simple mention "ZynAddSubFX could really use an improved GUI, that might interest me a bit more in using the plugin."

Still though, even mentioning it at all without having a genuine interest in seeing any benefit come of it seems like nothing more than a bad attitude all around.
Okay, then let me bring up a group of synths that I care very much about. Even went and bought them.

The Arturia collection. We have begged Arturia to increase the GUI sizes of those synths for YEARS. They know the GUIs are too small for today's resolutions. They've even conceded this. Have they fixed it?

They said late last year that this year the GUIs would be redone.

We're still waiting.

I have a feeling we have a very long wait.

(edited to add quote.)
chk071 wrote:
aciddose wrote: Then what was the use of bring it up and insinuating that "someone" should do "something" when you don't even care?
Can haz quote? I never said someone has to do something. I just stated an example of a bad GUI.
For what purpose?

You seemed to say it was functional yet not aesthetic, but then you go out of your way to point out "it sucks" and how you're not at all interested in it.

As far as negativity that seems excessive to me.
Last edited by aciddose on Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”