A workaround for the PDC issue is:

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

dplduffy wrote:
Bobby L'Avenir wrote: asio guard they have in place which effectively increases your buffer size by an amount that isn't supposed to be noticeable, but it may be just enough to get the uad plugins to work.

ASIO Guard has no effect on your live buffer. It's separate "pre-recorded" buffer. Steinberg made a big mistake calling it 'latency', as everyone now thinks it increases your live I/O latency.

It's just a hybrid buffer for pre-recorded audio tracks and pre-recorded MIDI triggered VI's.

Logic and Pro Tools have had hybrid buffers for years. They'd perform like crap if they didn't.

Bitwig and Ableton do not have hybrid buffers, just "live" ones. But they also use hidden plugin buffers for some stuff.
Logic X, El Cap 10.11.3, Mini i7, Live, Reaper, Bitwig (demo)

Clicks at +100 samples: 44.1k / 48k (wav)

TeePee wrote:
dplduffy wrote:
Bobby L'Avenir wrote: asio guard they have in place which effectively increases your buffer size by an amount that isn't supposed to be noticeable, but it may be just enough to get the uad plugins to work.

ASIO Guard has no effect on your live buffer. It's separate "pre-recorded" buffer. Steinberg made a big mistake calling it 'latency', as everyone now thinks it increases your live I/O latency.

It's just a hybrid buffer for pre-recorded audio tracks and pre-recorded MIDI triggered VI's.

Logic and Pro Tools have had hybrid buffers for years. They'd perform like crap if they didn't.

Bitwig and Ableton do not have hybrid buffers, just "live" ones. But they also use hidden plugin buffers for some stuff.
Well then, never mind haha. I didn't know it wasn't a live buffer I just assumed there was some magic that was going on that made me not notice the buffer. :dog:

No need to facepalm yourself.

Facepalm Steinberg. Their manual is confusing where ASIO Guard (and latency) is concerned. Mind you, you can pretty much say that about the manuals for most (if not all) DAWs, where latency is concerned. Just not enough information.
Logic X, El Cap 10.11.3, Mini i7, Live, Reaper, Bitwig (demo)

Clicks at +100 samples: 44.1k / 48k (wav)

I too am having severe PDC issues, I think I'm losing hair from pulling on it so much.

Haven't had a chance to narrow down exactly which routings cause it. Things generally seem OK until my tracks start to get more involved and then it all goes bad on every version of BW since launch last year...

Right now I have 3 bass synth tracks feeding into a Bass Bus. There is a separate MIDI only track and the 3 instruments are each preceded by a note receiver. I add a FabFilter ProQ2 in linear phase mode to one of the tracks.

On playback I get correct delay for that track and everything else *not* on the Bass Bus, but the other 2 bass synths instantly start playing their notes with no delay at all - so they're way early... as if PDC is completely disabled for those tracks only. @#$%

So frustrating how much this slows my workflow, placing dummy plugins everywhere until sync breaks again. I'm almost tempted to start manually compensating every track. :(

Anyone have any ideas? I would bounce but I tend to do a lot of synth patch tweaks...

EDIT: Perhaps we could ask the BW team to provide fields to specify delays per track. That would be handy for things like string samples that have late note accents too. :)

Never mind, I spent this afternoon experimenting and have found the cause of my PDC issue, as well as a workaround! I will report to the Bitwig team but also share it here in case it helps somebody...

----------

Instrument Tracks that receive MIDI data via the Note Receiver from the same Source will frequently suffer PDC issues. The symptom is one or more of the MIDI receiving tracks failing to play back with PDC, i.e. playback is instant for those tracks while all other tracks get the correct delay.

Conditions:
* Complete loss of PDC sync only seems to happen for the tracks with lesser latency within the group that receives the same MIDI data, i.e. the track with most latency plays back correctly.
* It also only happens to tracks that have a VST instrument (not Bitwig), confirmed the bug with 'NI Massive' and 'u-he Hive'.
* It still happens even if the VSTi is deactivated and a Bitwig instrument follows it. Deleting the VSTi from the device chain fixes the PDC.

But there's a simple workaround to keep your VSTi's and have correct PDC too. :D

On affected tracks, add any Bitwig Instrument or Container after the Note Receiver but in front of the VSTi, you can even disable it if you like. PDC fixed. :tu:

It's possible a trick like this could work for other scenarios where PDC has gotten confused.

guys the pdc issu gonna be fixed please ? it might have been mentionned ?

Last edited by SoundLight on Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

owensands wrote:
dancoxdrums wrote:Could you explain this issue? Does this mean all the hype about 'true PDC' is false?
no its not false they just missed PDC in certain routings and need to hook it up. There is also an issue when putting a latency inducing plugin into the LFO mod slot. They will fix it. Send the issue to tech support. Also what is the actual issue? Im not following it.
PDC either works or it doesn't. If it's broken on anything, then it's broken.

Eta Carinae wrote:
owensands wrote:
dancoxdrums wrote:Could you explain this issue? Does this mean all the hype about 'true PDC' is false?
no its not false they just missed PDC in certain routings and need to hook it up. There is also an issue when putting a latency inducing plugin into the LFO mod slot. They will fix it. Send the issue to tech support. Also what is the actual issue? Im not following it.
PDC either works or it doesn't. If it's broken on anything, then it's broken.
All or nothing eh? I can relate. Although for me and what i need it to work for along with personally developed workarounds its fine. But yeah its broken in one way that I know at this time. External audio monitored inputs are being PDC'd when they should not be. Workaround for me? Direct monitoring with interface. Not best solution because you cant use FX on said channels. I don't need to do this though personally so for me this works fine.

Return to “Bitwig”