Synth appearance

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

aciddose wrote:
Kriminal wrote:Devs should make all products totally skinable.

There are really good free progs for making skins/knobs/images

Everyones a winner.
This I agree with, and I'd likely have trouble not complaining myself if I were to modify the code in an attempt to "skin" the thing and found out it was near impossible to do so without radical changes and a huge amount of effort.

Yet, I'd still be capable of investing that effort, so it would only be moving the exact same issue somewhere else.

It makes perfect sense to suggest ways the GUI could be improved or to ask someone if they would consider investing the effort to do so. It doesn't make sense to demand it, or to say it "should be".

No it shouldn't. If we were going by "should be", I'd say those making such demands shouldn't ever have been given such a gift if they were known to be such ingrates.

Erm, yeah...sarcasm.... cos everyone who complains about 'bad gui's' is actually going to make the f**king effort to make a 'good' one :lol:

I wasn't sure if you were serious or not when you posted it, I think the idea of "making everything skinable" from a programming perspective is a total nightmare :)

Yet still, even if not everyone does it might make it possible for them to have some kind of choice in the matter.

Like the stuff I'm doing to Xhip right now. The idea to enlarge the GUI is something I've thought of before quite a few times. It seems trivial, although there are ton of little bits that need to be handled to make it actually work. As far as something like "double everything" though, I'm going to do it just because from a programming perspective it makes sense to test my code in that way.

If I ever do implement skinning fully, I'd really like to have a "gui scale = 100%" setting you can set to anything you want. In fact it would be just awesome to have "res = 1000 x 700" or similar, although that is way, way, way way more complicated to get right :)

That sort of thing isn't all that bad an idea, it just roots back to the fact it takes a heck of a lot of effort to do just about anything. People say they aren't programmers or aren't graphics people (I'm not a GUI guy either!) which gets part way there, but they still can't see even if they were the most brilliant programmer on earth what they're asking for that seems simple is still a bloody nightmare sometimes :)
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

I'm glad I'm not skinnable. I'm perfectly fine in my own skin.

I'm sure your birthday suit is lovely.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

Keep your hands off my skin, dang it!!!
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

It puts the lotion on its skin....
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

aciddose wrote:I'm sure your birthday suit is lovely.
It's green. I'm an alien after all.

:/
:borg:

Sorry for going OT.

:lol:

Anyhow back on topic, I think the appearance of a software synthesizer is really second to the actual sound quality it's capable of producing.

Sure it does help to have a nice visual layout that makes it easy to program, and doing that right is kind of an art form in itself. However If it sounds awesome enough, I am not that concerned about the visual look of a synth just as long as it isn't super cryptic.

I am also not one to get excited over pseudo 3D hardware on my screen now. I used to really like seeing all those virtual 3D knobs and thought it was cool, but now I am really more keen on simpler GUIs. Each to their own though :tu:
:borg:

V0RT3X wrote:
I am also not one to get excited over pseudo 3D hardware on my screen now. I used to really like seeing all those virtual 3D knobs and thought it was cool, but now I am really more keen on simpler GUIs. Each to their own though :tu:
I am still one of those that is keen about a GUI. Yesterday O told that I would never use Ableton Live, just because of it look (no matter how good it may be, since I have others that are also good and look much better, I prefer those.).

And look at what happened with Windows 10. Microsoft decided to go down to the "flat" appearance (looks just bland to me). But they decided to do that to the icons too, and they came up in one of their Previews with a set of icons that looked like they had been made by kindergarden children. The trash can icons, especially, drove a lot of people simply mad, because it was sitting there, in the desktop, showing its ugly look to us users. A lot of users (myself included, since I am one of those that thinks Windows 7 looks really great) raised their voice, up to the point that MS themselves had tp come public stating that those were not the final icons, and rushed to replace the trash can icon after a couple of weeks.

Now, several other users (minority, but still), sated they actually liked the new icons. Go figure :hihi:

As you said: Each to their own. Fortunately, Windows is skinnable.
Fernando (FMR)

V0RT3X wrote:the appearance of a software synthesizer is really second to the actual sound
I agree. There are only a dozen synths that I really like talking to, but most are only average-looking. I often wish that I was attracted only to gorgeous synths. I am still dating Wavemapper :o and hope we'll develop some real chemistry, but its not looking good.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Actually I like how Windows 10 looks. I wasn't sure when I first saw it, but it has something. Looks simple and elegant, sort of like the new Android versions.

chk071 wrote:Actually I like how Windows 10 looks. I wasn't sure when I first saw it, but it has something. Looks simple and elegant, sort of like the new Android versions.
See? :hihi: To me it looks "simplistic" and not at all "elegant", but somehow ugly.
Fernando (FMR)

I wasn't sure about Windows 8.1 either, but every time i go back to Windows 7 on my laptop, i realize that i actually prefer the look of Windows 8.1, and it's kind of a step back when i use Windows 7. Guess we all get assimilated sooner or later. :hihi:

Return to “Instruments”