Patreon

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I wonder if someone (possibly a composer) here uses Patreon as their primary release platform?

If so, can you shed some light on your Patreon plan and if it works for you? I'm currently looking at starting up a Patreon page for my music and releases. That doesn't mean that I wouldn't release through Soundcloud or any other source tho. But as I compose mainly electronic music in form of individual tracks, by category (ambient, cinematic, etc.) I was thinking about a business model maybe something like this:

Donators C (1€/month) - Access to MP3s as they come available
Donators B (5€/month) - Access to MP3s as they come available + Additional tracks
Donators A (10€/month) - Access to MP3s as they come available + additional tracks + license to use tracks in work or projects of their own, if informed and credited Me

Keep in mind that this is a throw-away example and I'd like to hear if there is a plan that works for composers/artists?
Could this be profitable or even wise? Better platforms elsewhere for this kind of business model?

BTW, I didn't find a main thread for Patreon, so this can be kept as a one?

I don't use Patreon (yet) but I have some thoughts on it.

I see a lot of webcomic artists using it with great success. However, I think something that needs to be said is that these webcomics were already very successful and popular before they even started doing the Patreon thing.

As I see it, Patreon exists to let people support their favorite artists, but is more of a platform for delivering extra/bonus material that isn't really available otherwise. I don't feel it's enough to just release all your music through Patreon as your main distribution platform; it should be there for those who want to go above and beyond the amount of support given by just buying your album through Bandcamp or iTunes or whatever. I'm thinking Patreon content should be exclusive; I should be able to just buy your album without having to subscribe to something and "pay-as-I-go," but have the option to hear unreleased or extra content by becoming a subscriber.

I also think the licensing of tracks should be its own separate thing, as there could be potential to earn far more than 10 dollars/euros a month there, and should be handled on a case-by-case basis.

If you've already got a loyal fan base and you release content on a pretty regular basis, Patreon could be quite lucrative for you.

IMHO, YMMV, and all the other caveats

Alright, that clears a few things. Thank you. :) I hope to find a place to sell licenses for my tracks.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”