Kontakt 5 Update Patch not working

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I recently bought the full version of Kontakt 5 and installed it via the DVD's. Having installed and activated it via the Service Center, I tried to execute the update for K5 that was displayed in the SC (an update from the installed version 5.4 x to 5.5x). This did not work, with a message appearing saying "Installation failed".

I then downloaded the separate update patch to 5.5x and tried to update Kontakt this way. The first few steps of the installation process worked fine until the following message appeared: "An installation package for the product NI Kontakt 5 cannot be found. Try the installation again using a valid copy of the installation package "Kontakt 5 Setup PC msi." Next, a second message appeared: "Unable to uninstall old version of NI Kontakt 5. Please uninstall it yourself using Control Panel Add-Remove Programs..."

I've already contacted the NI support about this, but so far haven't received an answer. I consider both error messages pretty ridiculous, because regarding the 1st message, I have properly installed the full version (via DVD's), and regarding the 2nd message, it's simply not possible to uninstall K5 via the system or any other uninstallers.

Anyway, I've tried both update methods (Service Center and separate update) several times - without any success.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

AFAIK those messages pop up if there's really no .msi package of the original installation on the hard drive. These are found in C:\ProgramData folder (which is hidden by default). Folder with Kontakt 5 installation is {7FC0C531-2951-4500-8947-99F534D0C6CC}. See if that folder exists in ProgramData. If not, here you go:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1rOKP ... sp=sharing

Place it in there and try again.

Thank you so much for your help and support, EvilDragon. I did exactly what you suggested (plus tried some variations of the procedure you described), but it did not work either. The warning messages still appear. I will now either try a fresh installation (by copying the DVD installation files to a hard disk first) or wait what the NI support has to say.

What is really strange: The unpacked installer.exe from my DVD does contain an msi package, but obviously the package was not copied to C:\ProgramData.

Do you know if it's possible to reinstall K5 (by deleting all registry entries etc.) while leaving the actual instrument libraries in the intended target folder?

Yep, you can do that. Uninstall Kontakt (if you can - that MSI package I sent you should be able to do that hopefully), then go through the whole registry and delete all Kontakt 5 related entries. Should give you a clean slate.

Did you reboot after the initial K5 install?

I got the the same installation failed, did a reboot, and it worked the second time. Worth a try.

I never reboot after installs ever, unless it's an iLok or eLicenser update.

EvilDragon wrote:I never reboot after installs ever, unless it's an iLok or eLicenser update.
Not sure what point you're trying to make. As I stated earlier, I also got the "Installation failed" on that update. All I did was reboot, tried it again and it worked. (BTW, my Kontakt had been previously installed when I ran the update, so that wasn't even a factor).

Skorpius - what are specs of your system?

flugel45 wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:I never reboot after installs ever, unless it's an iLok or eLicenser update.
Not sure what point you're trying to make. As I stated earlier, I also got the "Installation failed" on that update. All I did was reboot, tried it again and it worked. (BTW, my Kontakt had been previously installed when I ran the update, so that wasn't even a factor).
My point is, installing the majority of programs today doesn't require you to restart the computer in order for them to work. This is not true for iLok, since it also updates the iLok service and its drivers, that's why they need a restars.

Now I'm not sure what's happening with your computer, I never had to restart when installing NI stuff. But if it works now for you, well, goodie! :)

Oh, I see.

I didn't mean to imply that a reboot is needed after an install.

What I meant was that occasionally computers will misbehave, and sometimes a simple reboot does the trick. That is what happened to me with the same kontakt patch.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”