Waiting for AAS Tassman 5 (probably to no avail)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Tassman

So, with the strings and the guitars out of the way, is it finally time to work on Tassman 5? I sure hope so. Has anyone heard something about this?

I wonder if it will be backwards compatible with 4 when it finally comes...

toothnclaw wrote:So, with the strings and the guitars out of the way, is it finally time to work on Tassman 5? I sure hope so. Has anyone heard something about this?
I wonder if it will be backwards compatible with 4 when it finally comes...
You mean "IF it finally comes". :lol:

If there was going to be a Tassman5 it would have happened by now. But AAS have shown no real inclination to extend their audio technology; all they've ever really done is recycle bits of it into smaller plugins. And when they ran out of bits to recycle, they then recycled those with different UI and nothing more significant added than some effects. (*)

(*) And in fact T3 wasn't that much more than T2 recycled without any backwards compatibility, and T4 was just T3 recycled with a change in patch handling, tempo sync(!) and a couple of new effects. Neither added much that was new, in synthesis terms. All in all, you might as well assume that whoever really wrote their modelling technology left the company in 2003.

Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:55 pm Post subject: Tassman 5 Suggestions and Enhancements Reply with quote
Hi guys,

Please post suggestions and enhacements for future releases of Tassman here. Thanks for your input!
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

I got the message before 2-3 Month from their CEO that Tassman 5 will coming after the release of the strings things. (String Studio, Sturm...)

They will be for sure a full 64 Bit Version, new UI and maybe other things

VA-2 will receive also a bigger UI because many complain about it that is to little
Synth Anatomy
http://www.synthanatomy.com
Sound Design and Software / IOS Synthesizer Videochannel

MillerSam wrote:I got the message before 2-3 Month from their CEO that Tassman 5 will coming after the release of the strings things. (String Studio, Sturm...)
They will be for sure a full 64 Bit Version, new UI and maybe other things
Very happy to hear that. :tu:
An up-to-date Builder section and the possibility to hear the sound while working in the builder is all I'm asking for.

KTlin wrote:I got the message before 2-3 Month from their CEO that Tassman 5 will coming after the release of the strings things
So did I, last year. Easier ones first, finally Tassman.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Some of us have heard 'it'll be soon' before.
Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:11 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
from the AAS Facebook page ---

Applied Acoustics Systems wrote:
Yes, definitely, we are committed to continue developing Tassman. To make a long story short, we are currently in the process of porting all our instruments onto a new architecture. Chromaphone and Lounge Lizard EP-4 were our first instruments released on this new platform. Tassman, being our most complex programs is our ultimate goal. We are putting our best efforts to complete this as soon as possible. Thanks very much for your patience.

Good one! :hihi:
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Michael L wrote:Good one! :hihi:
right :-)

i would be happy with VST automation...it's a so incredible request????
at least a clear word from AAS would be kind...
"Hey guys, sorry but we've got to stop Tassman developement, for this and that etc...."

I would understand (and a little upset for the money spent on a "dead" project...but i can understand that anyway).

AAS just a clear word about it and everything will be fine :-)

lalo wrote:
Michael L wrote:Good one! :hihi:
right :-)

i would be happy with VST automation...it's a so incredible request????
Actually, even if T5 happened, it stil might not happen, or at least might not be ideal; very few fully-modular VST plugins work with automation that well on account of the fact that different configurations have different parameters to automate, but the VST2 spec only ever picks up a fixed list of parameters from the plugin, at load time.
It doesnt mean its not possible to pass automation, just that meaningfully-named automation aint gonna happen; it'd have to be generic (eg parameter1, parameter2, parameter3 etc etc).

Reaktor can do it with the Automation slots...it's just enough.
0..127 MIDI CC resolution isn't enough i.e. for filter cutoff and oscillators frequency.
and a future version for VST3 with automation resolution at the sample level vs. the VST sample buffer of VST2?

lalo wrote:Reaktor can do it with the Automation slots...it's just enough.
Doesnt the host still see generic parameter names, though?

whyterabbyt wrote:
lalo wrote:Reaktor can do it with the Automation slots...it's just enough.
Doesnt the host still see generic parameter names, though?
nope Parameters are properly nominated.

whyterabbyt wrote:Some of us have heard 'it'll be soon' before.
Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:11 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
from the AAS Facebook page ---

Applied Acoustics Systems wrote:
Yes, definitely, we are committed to continue developing Tassman. To make a long story short, we are currently in the process of porting all our instruments onto a new architecture. Chromaphone and Lounge Lizard EP-4 were our first instruments released on this new platform. Tassman, being our most complex programs is our ultimate goal. We are putting our best efforts to complete this as soon as possible. Thanks very much for your patience.
That's what I meant with my post above, their other instruments have been ported, now it's time for Tassman 5. Or 4? First port 4, then develop 5? Hmmm....

whyterabbyt, your post above re. whoever really developed Tassman left in 2003 and no backward compatibility btw 3 and 2 worries me. I hope you're wrong on the first one and they keep compatibility this time, they'd shoot themselves in the foot (back?!) if it's not there.

toothnclaw wrote:whyterabbyt, your post above re. whoever really developed Tassman left in 2003 and no backward compatibility btw 3 and 2 worries me. I hope you're wrong on the first one and they keep compatibility this time, they'd shoot themselves in the foot (back?!) if it's not there.
Yeah, the former is just weary cynicism, rather than a claim of actual fact. The T2->T3 transition was a clusterfuck though.

edit : to expand - T3 was backwards incompatible with T2, it wouldn't read old patches. You could cut-and-paste patche structures between them, but the module parameters had been completely rescaled, so it was pointless doing so. At the same time, the authorisation servers for T2 effectively disappeared.

Return to “Instruments”