Charlatan 2.0 Final Free VA synth released (Windows)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Charlatan Charlatan - Time Capsule

Pyrotek45 wrote:I understand but no.see what i am asking for is the ability to keep the sound the same when there is no detune.as of now if there is no detune it will stack the waves with some phase differences or something.(it should just increase volume) but the timbre is Rather weird and sometimes cool,the downside however is that its random and uncontrollable. I say either make it so you can control the timbre or just make it so that it gets louder when there is no detune present. So that its always the same and predictable.
I think you want to be able to control oscillator phase sync. I guess each voice now has random start phase. Some way of controlling this would be a nice option.

Just thinking freely here, but wouldn't it be nice to have variable phase spread, just like variable detune. Phase locked, so each voice always starts at the same phase, but with spread so each voice starts further and further from 0 degrees. Spread depending on a value where 0 is phase aligned (just making everything louder...). Don't know if this is done or if it would yield any interesting results... :)

I think your last idea is what it needs.that would be like serum or helix.having a new parameter where at zero its all aligned and at max its completely random.
~Pyrotek45

Pyrotek45 wrote:a new parameter where at zero its all aligned and at max its completely random.
And somewhere in between it would be slightly random?

Edit: thinking about this some more do you mean something like a variable phase difference between each voice so as you increase the parameter each voice gets further apart? The random option would have to be a switch. Or, since it makes no sense to have all the phases aligned (that's just a louder version of a single voice) 0 could be random phase (as it appears to be now).

I'm not saying I want to see this implemented but I can see how it might work, though I've no idea how useful it would actually be from a sound design point of view.
Last edited by KingClarkie on Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KingClarkie wrote:
Pyrotek45 wrote:a new parameter where at zero its all aligned and at max its completely random.
And somewhere in between it would be slightly random?

Edit: thinking about this some more do you mean something like a variable phase difference between each voice so as you increase the parameter each voice gets further apart? The random option would have to be a switch. Or, since it makes no sense to have all the phases aligned (that's just a louder version of a single voice) 0 could be random phase (as it appears to be now).

I'm not saying I want to see this implemented but I can see how it might work, though I've no idea how useful it would actually be from a sound design point of view.
Exactly how I figured it but you explained it a bit clearer :) The Random at 0 makes sense on zero detune, however if you have the other voices detuned aligned phase would be great for percussive effects.

LOL! I deleted my comment because I thought you'd already explained it well enough!

(Edit: restored it to avoid confusion)

Thanks a lot for this synth!

The bug with many presets not loading sustain correctly and therefore sounding 'bad' still seems to exist though after the quick fix on Sat 06-06. See basses.fxb.

Thanks for the update! Really like the new waveform buttons and stereo spread.

For reasons unknown, the former version didn't work on my Windows 8,1 system as it crashed not only my DAW but made the whole PC freeze momentarily. Hopefully this one will do the trick. I'd hate to live without it.

Has anybody been able to get a really solid kick drum out of this thing? It appears that the osc's are free running and everything I try just turns out to be mush.

wagtunes wrote:Has anybody been able to get a really solid kick drum out of this thing? It appears that the osc's are free running and everything I try just turns out to be mush.
For drums and percussion you should check the DCO switch.
I don't know whether they are solid kick drums as I am not an experienced sound designer, but I made a whole bank with just drums and percussions with the new version (http://www.kvraudio.com/banks.php?s=dl&id=2828 ). I find that despite the limitations it can do some nice drums.
Desperately waiting for an OSC with charlatan 2, that should be much more fun than some of the previous synths there :wink:

Hi people.
I've noticed that the option to manually sweep oscillator 2 from -12 to +12 has been slaughtered/cuted.
Now If i want to keep one oscillator in tune and make an audible (not hardsynced) pitch sweep with the second oscillator, using automation or manually, the note starts from the wrong note.
Well, I don't understand why the +/-12 range has been cutted to +/-6, and neither exists the posibility of sweeping from -24 to +24.

Ok, there's still the LFO modulation, but... maybe a new manual option should be added to the LFO/ENV list leaving just as OSC1's shape.
MAN/LFO/ENV

I think it's very important to keep those values just like the old version before it get too late.

Related to your issue, is it not possible to set semitones precisely? That knob for osc2 should have the same behavior as the bend range knob. Fine detuning could still be done by using the shift key...

Version 2 is buggy on FL Studio 11. When Poly mode is on the synth do bizarre clipped noise.

fluffy_little_something wrote:Related to your issue, is it not possible to set semitones precisely? That knob for osc2 should have the same behavior as the bend range knob. Fine detuning could still be done by using the shift key...
Is this for me?

Well... there's something different. I want to bend ONLY one oscillator. And the second oscillator has a continuous detune control that doesn't jumps betwen notes.
In the previous version I was able to detune it from -24 to +24 semitones (while keeping the OSC1 in tune).
Version 2 allows only a range of -6 to +6 semitones

Pitchbend is not a chance, as it detunes both oscillators at the same time...

Hi all,
I'm currently working on my OSC #77 track with this absolute thing of beauty you've created (Charlatan 2). The quality and complexity the sounds can have is stunning. I totally understand the notion of keeping it simple and tight, but I can't help but wishing it had a few more controls, really, not many. Ideally, considering just how brilliant it sounds, one would wish for something like "full control" with extra envelopes, lfo and so forth, but I understand the above, so no worries there.

My wishes, if I may present them to you:

env/lfo assignment for noise shape and volume.
env/lfo assingment for OSC 2 volume (and ideally independent tune at possibly +/- full octave)
env/lfo inverse also for OSC 1 shape, consistent with implementations on pitch and filter.
possibly a bandpass 4.

I somehow don't think it would overload the interface too much and only present a bit more consistency while adding a great deal of extra power to sound design.

That being said, I cannot wait to show you the track I'm making for the OSC. It's quite fascinating, because I've created a whole set of foley sounds with it to create a whole scenario around it. I've also managed to get some rather...hmmm...let's say "considerably" natural sounding instruments. This thing is pretty stunning, man. Thank you and ROCK ON! 8-)

Return to “Instruments”