Vir2 World Impact or Evolution World Percussion 2.0 for ethnic percussion?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Those two are on sale right now on Best Service. Which one is better? Evolution's World percussion 2.0 is 287€ and 42GB in size, while Vir2 costs 143€ and weights in at aprox. 12 GB. I don't know why the former weights over 3 times as the latter, since the latter has more instruments. There is also the lack of Taikos in the Evolution collection which I find disappointing. Tho Evolution just released a Taiko library, that's for the full version Kontakt 5 which I don't have.

I don't own any percussion libraries right now and I've been looking to get one, preferably ethnic for a while now, for use in cinematic and ambient music. I've previously found hardware samples dry and uninspiring. I tend to blend in plain drums and electronic rhythms. (Troel Folmann's Tomb Raider-scores and Powell's Bourne-scores spring to mind.) Other thing, fluid and driving rhythms are more my thing rather than thundering trailer and action cues.

ESWP weights in 3 times as much because it has a lot of velocity layers and round robins across each and every percussion sampled (5 or 10 layers and/or RR, respectively). So, it sounds much livelier in the long run - no way you can get it machine-gunning all over the place, and all those velocity layers make it more expressive, too.

IMHO (I'm slightly biased, since I scripted it), ESWP is the clear winner here. Again IMHO, the only percussion library that I personally feel that is better than ESWP, is Spitfire Percussion. Anything else just doesn't feel right, one way or another.
Last edited by EvilDragon on Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I have Evolution World Percussion 2.0 and it's sounding very good. It's deeply-sampled, so that may be why it has bigger files.

For percussion, my favorite product is Soundiron Apocalype Percussion Ensemble 2.0. The sound is incredible!

If you want a very good percussion library with taikos, you can also look for StormDrum 2 or 3 from EastWest. They are on sale now.

+ 3 on Evolution World Percussion. It's a standard in the scoring community for ethnic. There are a lot of Taiko libraries out there to choose from as an add on. The only down side to Evolution is the price but I think it's fair for the size and the amount of layers.

I just checked out a video demo of World Impact. It seems to offer a good variety and is set up nicely by ethnic region. Seems to have 3 mic positions so you can get dry or blend in distance mics. It's not a bad choice at half the price of Evolution World Perc. If you have a busy mix going maybe all the extra layers get lost in sauce anyway.

Ryan99 wrote:If you want a very good percussion library with taikos, you can also look for StormDrum 2 or 3 from EastWest. They are on sale now.
I'm scared of ILok. XD

Besides, Evolution Series taiko is simply just much better than EW's in Stormdrums. :)

I think I'll get World Percussion. Funny, John Powell (Bourne-trilogy) seems to have endorsed it on Evolution's website. Cheers for the answers. :D

Good call ;)

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”