Modal Electronics Synths

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Shy wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:
Sendy wrote:Oscillator sync or GTFO. :hihi:
008 has it. :)
No mention of it that I can see anywhere. The only mention of "sync" is LFOs with MIDI sync.

For $5,500 US dollars, I would expect synchronizable oscillators.
There's a big Sync button right on the front panel... :?:

Shy wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:
Sendy wrote:Oscillator sync or GTFO. :hihi:
008 has it. :)
No mention of it that I can see anywhere. The only mention of "sync" is LFOs with MIDI sync.

For $5,500 US dollars, I would expect synchronizable oscillators. No ring modulator either. No wave shaper stuff. Nothing but the most basic basics. Other than the "animator" sequencer which could be useful for some nice smooth transitions, it looks like a very basic synth, each voice has two oscillators with a frequency divider, and a multi-mode filter. Frequency modulation (linear? exponential?) available. That's it. The non-synth-related features like build quality (good Fatar keyboard), interface (which seems too odd to me), XY joystick, arpeggiator, may be nice. Maybe I would have considered buying it for them if I had money to throw.

If I had about $5,500 to throw.. a Studio Electronics CODE 8 would be SO much more thrilling, with features I could really use and great sound.
There is a hard sync button on the front panel and it is demonstrated in one of the videos. No soft-sync that I've heard mention of.

I couldn't see anything in their crazy out of focus pictures, and haven't seen a video with the hard sync. No idea why they don't mention the hard sync in the specs. Well, good, at least it's not as unfeatured as I thought.
"Music is spiritual. The music business is not." - Claudio Monteverdi

Shy wrote:I couldn't see anything in their crazy out of focus pictures, and haven't seen a video with the hard sync. No idea why they don't mention the hard sync in the specs. Well, good, at least it's not as unfeatured as I thought.
That would have been rather bad to not have sync...

and yeah, the specs are not so in depth and could use (for example) a clearer understanding of the Osc's. From what I've read and from images, you can combine the waveforms (saw, square, triangle and noise). Each of them can be enabled but then can the level of each be adjusted? My impression is yes, but it is not definitive.

There is also Osc FM and Filter FM.

The specs mention filter overdrive, but where is that set? I see no knob for that in the filter section. It sure would be nice to have a high resolution image of the front panel where everything was in focus.

The modulation seems impressive. Holding LFO and moving cutoff assigns cutoff to that LFO. Sounds user friendly

Whoa I'm just listening to the demos for the Modal 002 keyboard and I'm really impressed so far. This thing has a very lush (expensive hardware) sound to it.

At a store near where I live it's $6,859.00 Canadian which is definitely out of my price range, but I'm pretty sure if i bought this I wouldn't need another synthesizer for a while.

I like the fact it has a bunch of digital waveforms to play with. I wonder if you'll be able to load your own in at some point?

Anyone get to demo one in person?
The sound! :love:
https://soundcloud.com/modalelectronics ... wner-demos
Last edited by V0RT3X on Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
:borg:

I was seriously considering an 002 last week cos' I found an open box unit for sale.
Then, I lucked on to a John Bowen Solaris which sounds better in every way.
I bought the Solaris for pretty much the same as the price reduced Modal and managed to avoid the two year waiting list.
I'll have it in a couple of weeks.
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

I got serious gear lust (something i almost never get)

I'm seriously considering saving up for the Modal 002R. I can live without the knobs, i want it more for production based stuff.

The price for the 002R 12-voice module is $3,949.00 Canadian which is far more realistic for me. Between the 002R and an Alesis Andromeda A6 I don't think I could want much more..

@werp Yah i looked at the solaris before, and it sounds great but it lacks the true analog filters that the 002R has. The 24db filters in the 002R are one of the big reasons i want to buy it, they sound frigging fantastic!
:borg:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”