Windows 10

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

As I'm sure a lot of you know, Microsoft are trying to get Windows 7/8 users to upgrade to Windows 10 by offering a free upgrade for a limited period. Personally, I'm happy with Windows 7 and I'm reluctant to upgrade. I realise it's probably not a straightforward question to answer, but from a MuLab perspective is it likely that future versions of MuLab would require/benefit from being on the latest windows version? My music pc is used for music production only and other than the music software I'm running requiring it, there's no other reason I'd want to upgrade. I've also read that people are having problems running Ableton Live on Windows 10.

Is it possible to create a dual boot with both on ?
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

bibz1st wrote:Is it possible to create a dual boot with both on ?
Thanks for the reply. Dual boot would be a solution. I'm not sure whether the Microsoft licence allows more than one installation though. Also, I'm not sure that once you've hit that upgrade button there's any going back. For instance, if Windows 7 needed to be re-installed and I wanted updates, service packs etc. I suspect I wouldn't be able to get them. That said, I've been reading up and apparently the Windows 10 codebase is faster and more efficient, so maybe upgrading would be worth it.

Got that offer as well today. I distrust Microsoft, why would they give away their OS for free to - I assume - all Windows 7 users? There must be some catch they have failed to mention 8)
I can understand that they want to prevent the huge lag that has become common because people like to stick to what they have and know. People are still using XP and MS are already finishing W10, few people want to switch to W8. For most people XP and W7 is enough, so how to force them to upgrade early to something they don't need just in order to be able to stop supporting legacy OS's? I assume that is their problem...

My current laptop has win7 on and I am happy with it, has very rarely let me down so am reluctant to change OS.
When it eventually gives up the ghost, which it surely will at some point, the replacement will most likely have the latest OS on anyway so unless it is shown that win10 is a significant improvement then I'll probably wait til then.
Hope that's not tempting fate....luckily did a backup the other day :D
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

fluffy_little_something wrote:Got that offer as well today. I distrust Microsoft ...
With justification it would seem. If this article is correct, it looks like Microsoft want to trap users into a subscription model:http://betanews.com/2015/01/21/windows- ... s-a-catch/
Annoying. I've just bought a new pc. If I'd foreseen this, I'd have bought a mac. If my vsts would run on linux, I'd switch in a heartbeat. Still might.

Addendum: I've just read on and they go on about once a device is upgraded to 10, it will be supported at no additional cost for the lifetime of the device. I'm still sceptical ..
Last edited by mgiambro on Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It's not as if Mac is any better than that. Their planned obsolence scheme is purely atrocious. At least in W10 I know I will still be able to run 10 years old programs (and older).

I sure will look into Linux because I hate subscription models.

EvilDragon wrote:It's not as if Mac is any better than that. Their planned obsolence scheme is purely atrocious. At least in W10 I know I will still be able to run 10 years old programs (and older).
Thanks. My comment is obviously naive in thinking that apple's business model is any more ethical than that of microsoft. I feel better now :). Would still like everything on linux though.

Just to let you guys know, linux is all I use right now. Just have to get used to routing within Jack and pulse audio. Other then that once you install KXstudio (thats my distro of choice) mutools works, out of the box. As for windows 10, If you were to build a cheap Raspary cluster ( being that you are using an ARM processor) you would still need to install wine in windows 10 because, its for the most part only for developmental purposes (at least on and ARM based platform) and from what I have read it still uses emulators to be ale to run x86 code. With that said, build a raspary cluster anyway :), install wine, and you will still blow the doors off the actual windows platform any day of the week (that is just so you can keep your windows box safe and unharmed) The reason i talk of this chip is that there are a wide range of linux distros for it and that it is more acurate when it comes to audio proccessing in comparison to the x86. Or just look for yourselves, "http://www.arm.com/products/processors/" just so you can see the different types. But I warn you now, once you start the switch to linux, your entire understanding of the computer world is going to change drasticly and I really don't think you will be able to stop :D.

Dont mind the ramblings of a LUNATECH

Peace

I just like linux (Mint + Cinnamon is my distro of choice... yay mainstream) because it's really easy to develop applications for. No special C++ methods or API. MonoDev/Xamarain is there is you really need to develop .NET applications. Java (openJDK 1.7 is included in Mint 17.1) just works.

Mulab under wine is decent. However, at least on my Mint box, the windows are glitchy and jump around while moving them. Also pop=up menus sometimes work and sometimes don't. It could a a Cinnamon issue with wine (thus maybe try our Gnome or KDE).

Dakkra
My Setup.
Now goes by Eurydice(Izzy) - she/her :hug:

LunaTech wrote:As for windows 10, If you were to build a cheap Raspary cluster ( being that you are using an ARM processor) you would still need to install wine in windows 10 because, its for the most part only for developmental purposes (at least on and ARM based platform) and from what I have read it still uses emulators to be ale to run x86 code. With that said, build a raspary cluster anyway :), install wine, and you will still blow the doors off the actual windows platform any day of the week (that is just so you can keep your windows box safe and unharmed) The reason i talk of this chip is that there are a wide range of linux distros for it and that it is more acurate when it comes to audio proccessing in comparison to the x86.
Last time I was researching the topic of making my own audio effect box and looking at Raspberry it was said that Wine wouldn't work on it. Most reasonable thing I'd be left with was building all effects in PureData. Add to this a problems with the USB soundcards and I gave up that idea.
Anyway the x86 emulation layer on ARM must make things run slower, so I don't have a high hopes on running Mulab fluidly on Raspberry that is a thin client :ud:

...as per the latest W10 shouldn't be subscription model..

http://www.howtogeek.com/220957/no-wind ... y-instead/

This Windows 10 thing is getting very nasty! :scared:

First Microsoft installed some kind of 'rootkit' called GWX.exe that I couldn't shut off or remove and now I read that you're forced to enter your personal data when installing the new Windows :shock:

Those personals will go to Microsoft and be part of your 'profile'. So, like your phone, your computer will now also be location-tagged. :-o

"Kids! Get off my lawn!"

GWX is their "Get Windows 10" application service thing.

I'm not willing to believe you're forced to enter your credentials. Maybe for a Microsoft Account or insider program but the OS wouldn't sell with companies or schools if they go that route.

Dakkra
My Setup.
Now goes by Eurydice(Izzy) - she/her :hug:

Return to “MUTOOLS”