Feedback is closed - thanks to everyone who supported me!

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

[link gone]

Original song by "The Gathering" - Lyrics and rights owned by them.
Cover is by Nolan Murillo (The Nephilim Novel) and vocals by Morgen La Civita

I am opening this track - which I feel in the most complete - of my greater project in hopes of gaining some insight to help extend the quality I am looking for. This track will be available for 5 days to a limited audience in hopes that maybe some kind souls will be willing to answer some questions I have along with give their own opinions. This track is part of a greater project that is tba.

For KVR, here I'm holding you guys to a higher standards than the other 2 forums I will be posting this at. Please try to look as objectively as you can at this project: The more feedback you can give me the better! Points of interest is the snare, the chord-guitar (rhythm?) spread across the stereo field, and the overall frequency balance between low, mid, and highs.

Other generic questions that I will be asking other forums are:
Would you support a Kickstarter (with a campaign goal of $3000) if the campaign was centered around more music similar to this?
If not, why?
How much would you pay to listen to just this song and why?
How much would you pay to listen to an album?
Is there anything that stands out in particular with this song - whether it is good or bad?
Is there anything you would like to hear more of?
Is there anything you would like to hear less of?

Your feedback is very greatly appreciated! While I understand the questions ask how much you would pay, I would like to mention, regardless of how much some would like to pay, I will, as always and will forever do, will be uploading the greater project (if I ever finish it, that is) for free to download.

The kickstarter campaign is something I WILL NOT start until I have reached a comfortable place in the progression of this greater project that will make it easier for me to guarantee it's completion.

Once again, thank you for your feedback!
Last edited by ntom on Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hmm...it's rather sad that a forum NOT dedicated to music gave more feedback than a forum dedicated to it...

one of many reasons I've been keeping my distance from KVR

I'm listening to your song on old crapy portable stereo chain but I find it always shows inbalances well on my own my mixes so here's my thoughts:

I really like the vibe, movie like? tv show opening ? I dig it.
The snare here I don't feel. Not a bad thing the sound fits the track IMO but I don't feel the low end of it...not necesserly a bad thing but you know generally we want to feel it.
I feel the guitars are not panned entirely outwards?, again not a bad thing but if your looking for more stereo wide image ...again sometimes the drums are just better outwards are reverse...maybe you get better mono compatibility this way?
I felt the vocal could you use more grit, a little more saturation, that some effect here and there could very complement the mix but I'm a metal head so whatever...

As for money I guess 1 track is worth a dollar these days...an album? How long ? How many songs??
Why should you charge more than the usual ? Somewhere between 10-20$. I think it depends on time and money invested, how many members in band, etc.
MXLinux21, 16 Gig RAM, Intel i7 Quad 3.9, Reaper 6.42, Behringer 204HD or Win7 Steinberg MR816x

I didn`t care much for it. But on the positive side, I heard a sensibility similar to Bel Canto, a band I like. You may want to listen to their arrangements.
EDIT - on 2nd listen, it`s not bad. I do hear your snare problem. The track sounds overly squashed/compressed maybe...it sounds overly cluttered and the snare is getting stepped on.
A better mastering would improve the track immensely.
I can also hear, more towards the end, a semblance of Cocteau Twins guitar. I liked that. I think you could get something from listening to Björk`s production sound.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esBznpr ... 2B&index=7
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

ntom wrote:Hmm...it's rather sad that a forum NOT dedicated to music gave more feedback than a forum dedicated to it...

KVR Audio is the Internet's number one news and information resource for open standard audio plug-ins.
We report new releases, product announcements and product updates (major and minor) for music software products, including DAWs, VST Plug-ins, Audio Unit Plug-ins, RTAS Plug-ins and AAX Plug-ins. You are on your own for feedback on your magnum opus . Plus we report on mobile apps for iOS and Android and of course the numerous related soundware and hardware products.
We manage a fully searchable audio plug-in, application, soundware, hardware and app database (updated daily), and offer many free member services including user reviews, product update notifications and a very active discussion forum. We also host official forums for many plug-in and soundware developers.

experimental.crow wrote:
ntom wrote:Hmm...it's rather sad that a forum NOT dedicated to music gave more feedback than a forum dedicated to it...

KVR Audio is the Internet's number one news and information resource for open standard audio plug-ins.
We report new releases, product announcements and product updates (major and minor) for music software products, including DAWs, VST Plug-ins, Audio Unit Plug-ins, RTAS Plug-ins and AAX Plug-ins. You are on your own for feedback on your magnum opus . Plus we report on mobile apps for iOS and Android and of course the numerous related soundware and hardware products.
We manage a fully searchable audio plug-in, application, soundware, hardware and app database (updated daily), and offer many free member services including user reviews, product update notifications and a very active discussion forum. We also host official forums for many plug-in and soundware developers.
about the kind of response I expected.

thank you...for your....clarification.

:x Hey! The 'Music Cafe' IS a FORUM dedicated to peoples home made music.
Don`t let experimental crow make you feel your in the wrong place for feedback!
Two people gave you feedback so far and here you are responding to him.
You would maybe have gotten more responses by now had you written less in your post.
Reply to the people who listened to your tune and had something to say about it. :x
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

this needs a total mix overhaul. the drums are muddy. it lacks dynamic range. the reverb intended to be atmospheric sounds very narrow in the stereo field. but the singer sings good. :tu:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

annode wrote::x Hey! The 'Music Cafe' IS a FORUM dedicated to peoples home made music.
Don`t let experimental crow make you feel your in the wrong place for feedback!
Two people gave you feedback so far and here you are responding to him.
You would maybe have gotten more responses by now had you written less in your post.
Reply to the people who listened to your tune and had something to say about it. :x
I apologize for not replying to them - I suppose it's me falling back on my habits of expectations of this forum.

I have taken their words in mind, though, mind you. I just opened the project up for the first time in a short while (I was giving my ears a break from it while I collected the feedback) and have already made some improvements in the areas mentioned.
On the other forums a couple people mentioned they wanted more from the bass-line, so I've brought that back in a little more (I did possibly too heavy of a cut to it, so I reduced the heaviness of the cut, rather than just outright boost the db)
The snare has a little more chunk to it while feeling a little more dynamic and cutting through the mix a bit better. A+? No...but it's getting there.

There's still a couple days left while I collect some more feedback. Hopefully I can improve this beyond where it is now, and I appreciate those of you who actually do contribute something to the thread rather than leaving trite remarks.

layzer wrote:this needs a total mix overhaul. the drums are muddy. it lacks dynamic range. the reverb intended to be atmospheric sounds very narrow in the stereo field. but the singer sings good. :tu:
+1
Drums don't sound like a coherent kit. Seems a little bass-light, too, as in no bass instrument. (Used the RME DigiCheck Totalyser meter and there's hardly anything below 35 hz. HPF - the scourge of modern music!) But then, what do I know? :)
And yeah, good choice of singer.

as for dynamic range, that main 'hearbeat' thing that's happening (especially in the first 2:50 or so) could use more dynamism.

this song really takes off at the 2:50 break; very cool from there on out.

this project sounds to show a good deal of promise. keep it up!

Return to “Music Cafe”