How to create this kind of snare...

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

...which you hear at 27 seconds, in this song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iSrB_MZJ5k

Gated reverb and then a long reverb after that.

Okay, but what kind of basic drum sound they used?
LinnDrum, a TB Drum or from Yamaha or some other kind of a drum sampler / machine?

Psy-Kai-Q wrote:Okay, but what kind of basic drum sound they used?
LinnDrum, a TB Drum or from Yamaha or some other kind of a drum sampler / machine?
The audio quality is very low,but if I'm not mistaken it is a Lindrum or Linn 9000 alternate eprom sounds.

Yeah, that's produced by Pete Hammond(before his work at SAW.. Random trivia, he mixed 'Never Gonna give you up') I'm a fan of his mixes/production and he was nice enough to speak on the phone to me last year!

Anyway, that's Linn Drum, Pretty sure he said he was using a Quantec QRS around that time, which is a room simulator, so you'll want a Room algorithim, I really like the NI 224 for that but you can get decent results with Valhalla vintage verb. mixed on an MCI 500, processing would have been pretty straight forward, tape(Try overdriving your snare into a tape emu or an EQ plug, API are good for this)>EQ>Reverb, just make sure you pitch the snare appropriately as that can affect the sound significantly.

I use the DMX samples but you can get a nice punchy/splashy snare by dipping the mids(circa 700-1k) a lil boost circa 6-10khz and maybe a boost in the low mids if you want some beef.. but ripping out the mids is what really gives you the splashy sound but the Linn snare has that inherently so shouldn't be as necessary as with the DMX.

Hope that helps.

Return to “Sound Design”