What is the most efficient (fastest) way to make an instrument from a single sample to a keyzone?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

thecontrolcentre wrote:Calm down kid. "all that about needing two samples pr. octave" was to create a "realistic" sounding instrument, which is what you said you wanted to create. You yourself said you planned to use envelopes to finish off the different time-stretched samples. I therefore presumed you understood how envelopes work. Many people have offered almost exactly the same advice and you've refused to listen to them ...
I am totally calm daddy 8). It's just when you said:
One sample is enough if you use an envelope ... tweak the envelope until the sample sounds ok in the keyzone
and then
You are really over complicating things.
I do appreciate that you take the time to answer. But the above statement was confusing for me at least considering that you first stated that at least 2 samples for each octave was needed to get the instrument to sound realistic and afterwards that this wasn't needed if using an envelope. I know how envelope works I just haven't got much experience with it. That was why I reasoned that one had to stretch the samples and pitch shift them and then fine adjust with envelopes.

I don't refuse to listen. I'm asking for an explanation. To me your statement sounded contradictory - and then you state "that I'm overcomplicating things". But that statement only made my overcomplicated state of mind worse :D.

My intentions were not to offend you. You just have to understand the confusion from the "kid's" perspective. It isn't that obvious for a beginner.

What about Melodyne? I think the real question the OP has is which sampler uses time/pitch-shifting like Melodyne.

Using envelopes is fixing another problem. You should not include the Attack-Decay portion of the sample in the loop, but set the start of the loop on a stable section of the sample. Getting the loop right is an art.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote:Getting the loop right is an art.
I totally agree with this ... but I think the main issue for the OP is trying to make a single static sample sound like a synthesised tone from an Amiga. I don't think it's possible to get a "realistic" emulation of the Amiga sound from single samples. I mentioned envelopes because OP was asking how to fix slower or faster attack / decay times caused by pitching samples up or down.

BertKoor wrote: Getting the loop right is an art.
IMO it's the most difficult thing to do in samples (in some it's almost impossible to achieve. That's why many people now choose to extend the sample length and not do loops at all. It's simpler, and RAM now is not a problem, but when samplers started, looping was mandatory, and sometimes, the artifacts were noticeable, even in supposedly professional libraires. I am still a fan of looping.

I remember when a software called Infinity was launched. Sound designers jumped on it like crazy. Unfortunately, many audio editors nowadays lack loops tools.
Fernando (FMR)

BertKoor wrote:Using envelopes is fixing another problem. You should not include the Attack-Decay portion of the sample in the loop, but set the start of the loop on a stable section of the sample. Getting the loop right is an art.
Yes that much I understand (about not including the attack-decay). I know it doesn't seem like it because I wrote that I get a beat (machine-gun-effect) each time I loop the sample. But I actually tried to loop beyond the attack-decay but I still managed to get the machinegun effect somehow.
fmr wrote:
BertKoor wrote: Getting the loop right is an art.
IMO it's the most difficult thing to do in samples (in some it's almost impossible to achieve. That's why many people now choose to extend the sample length and not do loops at all. It's simpler, and RAM now is not a problem, but when samplers started, looping was mandatory, and sometimes, the artifacts were noticeable, even in supposedly professional libraires. I am still a fan of looping.

I remember when a software called Infinity was launched. Sound designers jumped on it like crazy. Unfortunately, many audio editors nowadays lack loops tools.
Ok that's interesting to know. I "kinda" thought that this could be automated "pretty" easily. That's why I wanted the macro thing. Still the macro could be used just to quickly get the samples loaded, pitchshifted and then each loop could be adjust manually.
thecontrolcentre wrote:
BertKoor wrote:Getting the loop right is an art.
I totally agree with this ... but I think the main issue for the OP is trying to make a single static sample sound like a synthesised tone from an Amiga. I don't think it's possible to get a "realistic" emulation of the Amiga sound from single samples. I mentioned envelopes because OP was asking how to fix slower or faster attack / decay times caused by pitching samples up or down.
Yes that's what I wanted and many thanks for the suggestions and not at least for the explanation! Do you have any idea why someone whould release a sample CD with single samples containing Amiga-sounds if you can't use them to build an instrument? Was it just meant to be a toy/gadjet for fans or something? I find that a bit odd.

Hans25 wrote:Do you have any idea why someone whould release a sample CD with single samples containing Amiga-sounds if you can't use them to build an instrument? Was it just meant to be a toy/gadjet for fans or something? I find that a bit odd.
Did you pay for the sample CD? If so ... there's your answer. :wink:

Is there not a sampler which uses time/pitch correct stretching?

thecontrolcentre wrote:
Hans25 wrote:Do you have any idea why someone whould release a sample CD with single samples containing Amiga-sounds if you can't use them to build an instrument? Was it just meant to be a toy/gadjet for fans or something? I find that a bit odd.
Did you pay for the sample CD? If so ... there's your answer. :wink:
NO! 8) Maybe it wasn't commercial released in the late 80's but just a funny gadjet. I just thought so. But ok that's life. Will you buy me a beer if I succeed getting something useful of some of the samples anyway? :love:
I'm so unspoiled hopeful and naive.

arkmabat wrote:Is there not a sampler which uses time/pitch correct stretching?
There are (more than one, actually), but the quality has no comparison with a good non-realtime algorithm like the ones of IRCAM (SVP). That's a very intensive task, not suitable for real time (at least for the moment) if you want to really achieve the best quality.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:
arkmabat wrote:Is there not a sampler which uses time/pitch correct stretching?
There are (more than one, actually), but the quality has no comparison with a good non-realtime algorithm like the ones of IRCAM (SVP). That's a very intensive task, not suitable for real time (at least for the moment) if you want to really achieve the best quality.
Motu Machfive 3 Sampler uses the Ircam algorithm. Look here: http://www.motu.com/products/software/m ... ircam-tech
Motu seems to be very "proud" of that also.
Uncle E. has got a good crossgrade price on this one if you own a sampler like Kontakt, Halion etc.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”