do you always use a DRUMBUS?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Caine123 wrote:a compressor is the only thing which is normall on a drumbus isnt it?
No. I use EQ from time to time, usually passive like Waves PS56 or sometimes PuigTech.
Win10 Cubase Pro 9.5

Yes If the mix is fairly busy with lots of little details, I do like using some compression on it to help "glue" things together better.
:borg:

thanks a lot mates! so not only kicks, snares, claps, but also hihats get into the drumbus?
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Snips and snails and puppy dog tails.
ImageImageImageImage

for me; if I'm using one drum instrument and perhaps a sample kick = no drum bus - I'll send everything over the kick to a verb send

if I'm using more than one instrument and/or multiple percussive samples = drum bus with compression and verb(again, high-passed over the kick)

peace
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

awesome i used a drum bus in the last few projects, it gives the percussions some more oomph, i like that!
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

As I do dance music, yes, but not always with something on it, and I never route the kick to it anymore. I do like to drive all the drum percussion into a firm setting on Pro-L and dig into it a bit, to reduce the transients by a a dB or so. Sometimes If I want more compression in time with the kick I'll side-chain the kick to that "drum buss" but the kick itself is always clean to the master out.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Often a couple of them. Usually one is processed a lot and lower in level, one is cleaner. Parallel compression is your friend.

I use a bus for the kick just for mixdown / mute actions.

However, I use separate buses for percussion and claps. In fact the other percussion is sidechained under clap for greater impact. Then it's fed into common percussion bus with all the reverb, transient shapers and other neat things.
Also, it's always handy to solo or mute percussion or other buses.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJ Warmonger wrote:I use a bus for the kick just for mixdown / mute actions.
Why do you send one single track to a bus for mixdown and mute actions? Can't you do that with the track itself?
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

3 layers for the kick i'd say,so just bus'em

deft_bonz wrote:
DJ Warmonger wrote:I use a bus for the kick just for mixdown / mute actions.
Why do you send one single track to a bus for mixdown and mute actions? Can't you do that with the track itself?
Return tracks in Ableton have separate tab so they all show together and close to each other. I think it's handy.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Return to “Production Techniques”