Can you apply a template once you've started working on a project?

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Perhaps track presets would be your best bet in this situation?

If you right click a track, you have an option to save the whole thing as a preset, excluding the audio files. To load the preset you need to use the finder (left side) menu and drag it to a track, but it can be pretty quick depending on how many tracks you have.

So you would mix the first song then save each track as a preset, then load the other songs and drag the presets from the finder menu to their respective tracks.

In the future I think only having one project and saving your songs to separate edits would be the way to go. Then you could use the method me and phledo mentioned and all the files will be in the same folder.

Keep in mind, when importing audio clips if you use the finder menu you can select all the tracks for that song and CTRL+DRAG into the edit to have them all go to separate tracks. Done correctly I think you could get this down in a few clicks (the whole process of "templating" a mixed edit into a new song).

Hi Kang, I've right clicked a track but I don't see any option to save the whole thing as a preset - could it be that that's not in V4? (Can't see a Finder Menu either).

I do take your point about having all the edits in one project though - I think I thought I would find it harder to control because I'd end up with so many different files within the one project but I can see the advantage of what you're saying.

flingel

flingel wrote:Hi Kang, I've right clicked a track but I don't see any option to save the whole thing as a preset - could it be that that's not in V4? (Can't see a Finder Menu either).

I do take your point about having all the edits in one project though - I think I thought I would find it harder to control because I'd end up with so many different files within the one project but I can see the advantage of what you're saying.

flingel

Sorry I forgot we were talking about T4.

As for the audio files. If you name your edits and tracks well, your files will be named too, making it pretty easy to manage even big projects. If it were me I would render stems (if the audio files don't have a base point already), move them to a single project folder, and then load those into new edits from a 'template' (empty edit as discussed above). It would take some time, but might still be quicker than re-mixing every song.

Keep in mind I don't deal with archiving projects ever so I have no idea if there's something there that might help.

Thanks Kang, that all helps my learning :)

flingel

flingel wrote:Thanks Kang, that all helps my learning :)

flingel

BTW flingel if you're still with us...

I was futzing around with T4 rendering down a clients old project and there is indeed a left side browser. Upper left hand side, click the square to get to it. It may come in handy for loading files into "templates".

Thanks Kang, I did know about that - didn't realise it was known as the Finder Menu, thought I was looking for something else!

Anyway I seem to have a new problem now - can't seem to save an edit as a template at all - Tracktion just keeps on crashing. Suspect it's maybe a 3rd party plug in but even when I go to a different edit and try and save as a template with no filters in at all it still crashes!

flingel

Right after it crashes, load Tracktion again and go to the help menu on the bottom left. There should be an option called "show crash log." It will point you to a text file. Open that and scroll all the way down to where it says "crashed" and see if it shows you any clues. Usually for me it will say, loading 'x' plugin... crashed.

Hi Kang. Would you believe the following...? Actually you will because it's all to do with computer behaviour and I think we all know how illogical computers can sometimes appear, even if there are of course always logical reasons somewhere in the workings as to why things happen the way they do ....

Anyway, on Friday when i was having this trouble of saving the edit as a template, twice I went through the process of switching the computer totally off for a couple of minutes (i.e. not just re-booting) and trying again. It made no difference, Tracktion still crashed so I gave up for the time being and posted as my previous. Today I thought I'd have another look and take out the plug ins one by one - but before doing so, I'd see if any reply to my post re the crash.

So I check and see your post re the crash log, and I thought ah that could be really helpful and I go to do it. But I have to crash it first of course so I open the edit, go to save as a template and..... yes, you're ahead of me, blow me if this time it doesn't crash but actually saves as a template - and proved by being able to then open the template and see all the settings with no sound files!!

So why it wouldn't do that on Friday after 2 full switches off but works now is a mystery to me - but good news of course! So thank you very much for your advice and next time it does crash, I will investigate the crash log as you've said.

flingel

Return to “Tracktion”