Pro Audio Laptop UK

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Scan really is the only choice for pro audio Windows machines imo, the customer service and knowledge is bafflingly good.

Well ... this afternoon I got a call from one of the techs at Scan.

The system they configured for me cannot be built because the chassis can only take 2 SSD drives (one 500GB and one 1TB) not 3 drives as advertised on their website, and the Blue-Ray player cannot be fitted as it is not compatible with the chassis. It seems their website configurator is offering conflicting and contradictory information, and so are the sales staff, who yesterday assured me that my order was fine ... despite me querying the 3 drives option.

Anyway ... after a couple more phone calls they have offered to build me this system:

Scan 17.3" - Studio Laptop

Chassis
17.3 Clevo W370SS 860M 95

This Chassis comes with the following I/O Ports;

1 HDMI 1.4a output Port
1 CRT output Port
2 USB 3.0 Ports
1 USB 2.0 Ports
1 eSATA Port (USB 3.0 Combo)
1 Headphone Jack
1 Microphone Jack
1 S/PDIF output Jack
1 RJ-45 LAN (10/100/1000Mbps)

CPU
Intel Core i7 4710MQ, 2.5GHz, quad-core + HT, 6MB cache, 3.5GHz + TB

Memory - DDR3
24GB Corsair (3x8GB) - 1600MHz, CAS 11-11-11-28, 1.35V

M.2 Solid State Drives
1TB Samsung 850 Evo SSD mSATA, 540MB/s Read, 500MB/s Write, 97k IOPS

Storage Drives
2 x 1TB Samsung 850 EVO, 2.5" SSD, 3D V-NAND, SATA 6Gbps, Read 540MB/s, Write 520MB/s, 1GB Cache, 98000K IOPS Max

Optical Drive
Samsung SN-506BB/BEBE Slim Black Internal Blu-ray & DVD Writer OEM

£1904.15 inc. VAT and Delivery

The price has crept up by £225 but there is 8GB more RAM and 500GB more SSD space ... I'm thinking about it. :neutral:
Last edited by thecontrolcentre on Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thecontrolcentre wrote: Memory - DDR3
24GB Corsair (2x8GB)
math no worky!
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote: Memory - DDR3
24GB Corsair (2x8GB)
math no worky!

It's been a long day ... :hihi: I fixed my previous post.

Hi,

Just looking into this now as build hasn't brought this up with me.

I'd like to correct any issues with the site, looks like they've moved up to the newer thinner / cheaper model but not updated the drive config to reflect the reduction in space on that unit, so I'm making those corrections now you've brought it to my attention.

The drives on the newer unit due to it being slimmer are limited to 2. I've updated that now and locked the configuration page to 1 of each.

I'm a little confused on the optical drive as both the model listed and other model offered take 9.5" opticals and the Samsung listed is a 9.5". Did someone on sales offer a 12.5" Blue Ray reader that isn't on the config page?

The other option, I don't know if they offered it, it's possible to fit a conversion caddie in the optical bay, to take another 2.5" drive. If you don't need heavy use of the optical drive, it's possible to hook up a USB one for the occasions its required.

Thanks for the response Kaine ... good that the site is getting sorted. My new system was dispatched this evening. This is what I ended up with :

3XS Scan Performance 17 - Studio Laptop

1x 3XS Laptop Build/Config/Test
1x 3XS LAPTOP 2YR RTB WARRANTY
1x Arctic Silver 5 Paste 3.5g
1x 3XS System Build
1x 8GB3XS Diagnostic Pen Drive

1x 17.3 Clevo W370SS 860M 95
1x Intel Core i7 4710MQ Mob. OEM
3x 3XS Only 8GB 1.35V 1600 SODIMM
1x MZ-M5E1T0BW 850 EVO mSATA
2x 1TB 850 EVO MZ-75E1T0B/EU
1x SSung SN-506BB/BEBE BD-R OEM

1x MS Win 8.1 64Bit WN7-00614 OEI
1x Classic Shell Install

I'm moving from XP straight to WIN 8 ... and going 64bit. Is there anything I need to look out for? Any not so obvious OS changes? Tips and tricks? Thanks
Last edited by thecontrolcentre on Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thecontrolcentre wrote:I'm moving from XP straight to WIN 8 ... and going 64bit. Is there anything I need to look out for? Any not so obvious OS changes? Thanks
thecontrolcentre wrote:1x Classic Shell Install
That's probably going to save you some headaches - I use Start8. If Classic Shell is anything like it, it'll be a blessing but you'll still come a cropper with Win8 grabbing hold of your desktop and not wanting to let you go, though - just stay clam and look in the corners...

pljones wrote: just stay clam and look in the corners...
:scared:

Or hit escape. I always forget that. I'm getting too mouse-centric.

pljones wrote:just stay clam
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

:D

I've had a couple of days with my new laptop and Windows 8.1, and I'm getting used to the OS. It's not as bad as I'd been led to believe ... just not intuitive after 15 years on XP. I think I'll get used to it.

The machine itself is very fast and very quiet, and so far stays pretty cool (it's been really hot here this week too). I haven't noticed any fan noise either. Live 9 boots in about 5 - 10 seconds instead of 5 - 10 minutes. I spent today loading up software and sample packs ... may install a few plugins later. Haven't had time to make any music yet.

My AK1 audio interface works OK but the red "indicator" lights don't come on anymore. May need to update the driver (?) ... I'm changing over to 64 bit from 32 bit here too. I keep finding backups of software I own that's not 64bit ... and possibly never will be.

No worries. I've got loads. :tu:

I've got nothing much to say about Win8 configuration except that when I use it, I install classic shell and treat it like a Win7 machine :)

Kaine wrote:I've got nothing much to say about Win8 configuration except that when I use it, I install classic shell and treat it like a Win7 machine :)

That's what I'm doing ... mine came with classic shell installed.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”