in box production. vocals mixing questions!!!

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ok let's say i got mixed a fully instrumental and also mastered it via (obviously) the masterchannel effects.

then i get acapellas, how do you work then?

i normally just re-open my project (with all mixing and mastering settings and channels on) and add the acapellas. BUT then the acapellas get already EFFECTED by the MASTER channel effects too (saturation, eq, compression, limiter), is it ok or should the vocals only get mixed and be UNEFFECTED by the same masterchannel?
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

How would it be possible to do a mix without the vocals going through the master channel?

thecontrolcentre wrote:How would it be possible to do a mix without the vocals going through the master channel?
re-routing with submixes ;).
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Caine123 wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:How would it be possible to do a mix without the vocals going through the master channel?
re-routing with submixes ;).
Please explain a bit more ...

Isn't this what mixing is about - mix as an entity.

Also a bit puzzled over what you call "acapella" - which to me means arrangement of vocals to work on it's own - that musical background is more or less obsolete, at least need to be very sparse.

To guess - I think you used too much EQ on master if adding vocals become a problem.
If you feel you have to use EQ at all at master - something is wrong - it should be elsewhere.
With less processing on master - adding something is easier.

You made the mistake to "master" before the whole "mix" was ready...
These are seperate processes!

Re. submixes: instead of sending all the tracks to the master bus, you can send them first to group bus channels. Usually you'd have a bus for the drums, one for vocals, etc. On that bus you can apply effects that are for that group only, and set the volume relative to the other groups. Then all the groups are summed on your master bus. It gives another level of control.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote:Then all the groups are summed on your master bus.
... :wink:

Return to “Production Techniques”