Linux public beta (4408)

Official support for: u-he.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi abique

I'm not doubting what you or phantom say but as phantom said I would really have to test Zebra(lette) out under the Bitwig demo before I report any bugs to Rui, the Qtractor dev or the Tracktion devs just to make sure its not something wrong with my setup.

It turns out VST sub-plugins aren't currently supported under Muse but the devs are looking into adding support now I've highlighted it as an issue:

https://github.com/muse-sequencer/muse/issues/367

I'll see what Ardour 4 thinks next but its looking like I'll be retreating back to running REAPER under wine to get to grips with U-he until the (non-Bitwig) U-he compatibility improves in the Linux DAWs.

zebralette / sub-plugins work under Ardour 4 and zebralette seems much more stable under Ardour than qtractor or Tracktion so this is the implementation I'll recommend the Muse devs check out and is what I'll use as a comparison when reporting a bug to Rui. It's much better than Bitwig for this purpose because its open source. I'm also happy that I shouldn't have to resort to wine / REAPER or saving up for Bitwig now to get going with U-he under Linux.

It's not perfect under A4 yet though as the UI resize feature isn't working properly (this does work under Qtractor and Tracktion) so I've reported this as a bug here:

http://tracker.ardour.org/view.php?id=6392

Undo (with CTRL+z) doesn't work under zebralette when running under A4.

Now we know where Zebralette stands with all the main FLOSS DAWs! :D

Thanks for trying it with Ardour 4 :)

I now have the latest zebralette (3531) running stable under Qtractor!

The secret to using zebralette under Qtr is to only disable the dummy plugin scan (Options -> Plugins tab) when you are inserting a sub-plugin like zebralette into a session. Once you've inserted it, you should re-enable the dummy plugin scan. Qtractor has no probs loading sessions containing sub-plugins when dummy plugin scanning is enabled so one way to work around this is to have an empty session that just contains one track with zebralette in it. You can then add the plugin to multiple tracks by dragging and dropping it onto other channels in the mixer. You don't need to disable the dummy scan to add Zebra2.

Tracktion 6.2.0 is out now but, at least under Arch, I still suffer the show-stopping bug of ALSA MIDI ceasing to work and devices disappearing after 15 or so minutes of use unfortunately.

I'm not having any luck with saving and loading zebralette MIDI-learned controllers. Under Ardour 4, Tracktion and qtractor I can MIDI-learn a controller on my MIDI keyboard to a zebralette control using the plugins integrated UI, record something with it and play it back fine. If I then save, close and re-open the session my MIDI and automation data is still there but it appears zebralette 'forgets' and doesn't restore the MIDI-learned controller mappings so it doesn't play back as it did before saving and reloading. This applies to all three DAWs.

Ardour 4 / VeSTige does apparently support VST chunks but Robin G has had no luck getting MIDI bindings to restore with zebralette sessions either:

http://tracker.ardour.org/view.php?id=6393

Panic over! :D

I've got zebralette MIDI CC automation recording, saving and loading fine under qtractor now - it was just me that had forgot how it was supposed to be done as I've not tried for a couple of years. :)

The secret is not to use the context menu MIDI learn under zebralette at all - all of this has to be done under your host for it to work. Under qtractor you have to right-click the plugin in the mixer window and open Properties. If you move the parameter you want to automate in the zebra(lette) window and flick through the pages of tabs in the qtractor plugin proprties window you show see the sider you want to automate moving in sync. You need to right-click this slider under the qtractor plugin properties window to assign a hardware MIDI controller, arm that parameter for recording and show its automation graph on its track in the main window.

Tada!

I'd like to know if this can be done under Ardour 4 but if anyone knows it'd be Robin so I presume not yet.

My only prob with zebralette now is undo.

Saving the zebra specific midi-map fails because the directory $HOME/u-he/Zebralette/Support/ does not exist.

see http://tracker.ardour.org/view.php?id=6393#c16810

(generic host-provided mapping works, but that's different)

It's true - doing a

Code: Select all

mkdir -p ~/.u-he/Zebralette/Support
Fixes the restoration of zebralette plugin UI context menu MIDI-learn bindings for both Ardour and Qtractor sessions and I should imagine evey other host too so its a simple fix for the install script.

However, because this feature works without that dir and its settings file if you configure the bindings under the host - that is the only way to do it under some plugins anyway - host-side config is arguably the better way to assign MIDI bindings as it increases the portability of session data between machines.

I've just spotted Ardour 4.x has Eno-themed code names and A4.1 is "Here come the warm jets" - best app code name EVAR!

:D

seems to be a small buglette in zebralette.

$HOME/.u-he/Zebra2/Support/ is created and also used to write the UI prefs "com.u-he.Zebralette.UIprefs.txt".

"com.u-he.Zebralette.midiassign.txt" should probably also end up in that dir and not require $HOME/.u-he/Zebralette/Support/

If I can make a wish, I'd really love if the u-he plugins would follow the XDG spec and use ${XDG_CONFIG_HOME}/u-he/ which defaults to ${HOME}/.config/u-he/ and not clutter up the home-dir directly. Thanks.

http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedi ... atest.html

x42, I don't like my home to be too messy with hundreds of dot files so I understand your point. Yet I don't think that breaking what's already in place is a good idea.
Maybe we could start some kind of survey to sum up what people would like to change in the current distribution let everyone agree/disagree and in a few months do the change and break the old layout if it is what people want. If anyone wants to drive this, you can try to do/organize it :)
Cheers, Alex.

The U-he Linux plugins are very visibly still marked beta so it should be acceptable to change a config dir path abique, especially if it makes things tidier and brings conformity to pre-existing standards.

Surely the worst that could happen is people might have to copy or move their existing config files. I've definitely heard of worse computing issues! :D

Easiest way: the installer of a new version could move old files if present.

alternatively: runtime could read old and then new, but only write to the new location.

Anyway it's not a big deal, but IMHO that's the sort of detail to fix in "beta" stage before there's an official release. As danboid said, asking beta-testers to move existing config files is not unreasonable.

x42 wrote:If I can make a wish, I'd really love if the u-he plugins would follow the XDG spec and use ${XDG_CONFIG_HOME}/u-he/ which defaults to ${HOME}/.config/u-he/ and not clutter up the home-dir directly. Thanks.

http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedi ... atest.html
To be honest, I think that ${XDG_DATA_HOME}/u-he/ (which defaults to $HOME/.local/share/u-he/) is more suitable place for plugins data. Anyway, if you want to make a poll, then I'm voting for compliance with XDG specification.

Yes the config directory should not contains the installation data! ;-)

Hi abique

It looks like I've found another buglette with Zebralette. It would seem it doesn't currently support themes.

Over in this thread http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=436430 I was lamenting the lack of a MIDI input LED under Zebralette so EvilDragon kindly updated his Orange Zebralette skin to include one. Orange Zebra works under Zebra2 but not Linux Zebralette. I copied the Orange Zebra folder into both

~/.u-he/Zebra2/Support/Themes/

and

~/.u-he/Zebralette/Support/Themes/

I don't get any theme optons under the Zebralette zoom context menu like I do under Zebra.

Thanks for your help abique!

Return to “u-he”