2CAudio Kaleidoscope | It's A Trip | Latest Update 1.1

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Annual Subscription for Kaleidoscope Kaleidoscope

Galbanum wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:Kaleidoscopic drone music, 2 instances with similar presets (Flute Drones), the waveforms for tuning the resonators were extracted from a flute sound, input sources are an ocean drum loop (to excite the bass frequencies) and a very bright waterfall percussion texture, custom images.

http://soundcloud.com/sampleconstruct/e ... -patchpool

really great atmosphere Simon! Definitely has some kind of oceanographic feel to it! Deep sea water world!
Cheers, Andrew, it felt like drowning this morning when producing it :), I played it quite loud at 5 am, the subwoofer was having a blast and the birds outside the studio went silent for a few minutes.

Sampleconstruct wrote: Cheers, Andrew, it felt like drowning this morning when producing it :), I played it quite loud at 5 am, the subwoofer was having a blast and the birds outside the studio went silent for a few minutes.
Probably they thought some kind of mega water dinosaur was coming to eat them like in Jurassic World! :D

Some kind of ancestral memory or something... hey they have the same feet, right? :wink:

Galbanum wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote: Cheers, Andrew, it felt like drowning this morning when producing it :), I played it quite loud at 5 am, the subwoofer was having a blast and the birds outside the studio went silent for a few minutes.
Probably they thought some kind of mega water dinosaur was coming to eat them like in Jurassic World! :D

Some kind of ancestral memory or something... hey they have the same feet, right? :wink:
They probably have a similar language if we would be able to understand them. Since our cats died we have been feeding birds on our balcony, meanwhile I am totally fascinated by their behavior and make a lot of recordings too.

Galbanum wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:Miracle:
When collecting the presets for my subscription from dozens of subfolders I have to copy all assets to new folders which I can then distribute. So I copy e.g. 2 images and a waveform to 2 new dedicated folders, and now the miracle happens: when I copy the instance of KS to a new track in Logic (cmd+alt+drag) and open the new instance, the new locations of the assets have automatically been updated and I only have to save the preset in the new instance to the release folder, so I don't have to manually re-assign the assets inside presets. I don't think this miraculous behavior can be intended, but in my scenario it's very welcome.

It IS intended. We do not save absolute file paths. We save only file names. (So you should be careful not to name resources files the same thing ideally...)

This is by design. Directory search is alphabetical. So if there are multiple resources named the same thing, the first found match will be loaded. This has benefits such as: consider the factory presets have been making using some conetent from AV1. We copy this used content into a factory resource bank. Customers who do not have the AV1 add-on will still be able to load the presets correctly because they have all of used resources in the factory bank. So when they load a preset the resource browser will point to factory content.

But!

If they add the full AV1 content library, when they load the same preset, the resources will be loaded from the AV1 directory (because (A)-architecture Vol 1 comes before (F)-factory.). So if they then open the resource browser for Images of Tuning etc. they will see the entire family of similar resources in the same directly that are instantly available without searching. This is VERY powerful to quickly create preset variations/mutations...

The limitation of this, are:

1) "Big" content libs like AV1 should be listed before smaller ones in the browser. (happy accident Architecture starts with "A". :D )

2) If making custom content libs, you should use names that are fairly specific and unlikely to be duplicated elsewhere...
I see, so if my name would be Zacharias instead of “User“ this miracle wouldn't have occurred.

Sampleconstruct wrote: I see, so if my name would be Zacharias instead of “User“ this miracle wouldn't have occurred.

...well as long as all of your files have unique names it does NOT matter where you put things. I only describe what happens if you have two identical files names in different directions...

Galbanum wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote: I see, so if my name would be Zacharias instead of “User“ this miracle wouldn't have occurred.

...well as long as all of your files have unique names it does NOT matter where you put things. I only describe what happens if you have two identical files names in different directions...
Sure, I understood that, but I won't rename hundreds of assets before exporting them to subscription folders, and in my case this behavior is very welcome anyway.

Three instances of Kaleidoscope using similar presets which are all based on a tuning file extracted from a bowed cymbal using Melodyne's scale detective. Mixed on the fly, some reverb and delay applied (B2/ÜberMod). Input source for all 3 KS instances were 3 drum machines (Tremor) playing deep bass pulses.

http://soundcloud.com/sampleconstruct/b ... -patchpool

Here is a little duet, using monsoon rainmaker sounds as audio input, automating the modulation and stereo width parameters to change the rhythmical structure and stereo field.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iyMATQwJqY

Loungey stuff:
String synth and shaker loop processed by one instance of Kaleidoscope, some ÜberMod delays are processing the Kaleidoscope signal.

http://soundcloud.com/sampleconstruct/l ... -patchpool

----
Experimental stuff:
One instance of Kaleidoscope processes an excerpt of a live recording of my orchestral composition Windschatten, the other instance of KS processes some male choir sounds recorded for a music theatre piece, some VRoom reverb is processing both instances. A tad suicidal maybe...

http://soundcloud.com/sampleconstruct/n ... -patchpool

In this Kaleidomusic, all three presets involved use a tuning file derived from a singing i with Melodyne's scale detective. The input source for all 3 instances is a fast metallic synth loop, some Relayer FX and B2 reverb process all 3 instances alike.

http://soundcloud.com/sampleconstruct/b ... -patchpool

Great stuff Simon! Thanks for sharing!

We're working away on some great updates for KS... stay tuned...

Galbanum wrote:Great stuff Simon! Thanks for sharing!

We're working away on some great updates for KS... stay tuned...
Which tuning file?
:)

Great!

...and thank's.

Hi Andrew,

Have you had a chance to look into the bug where Kaleidoscope loses all of its current patch settings frequently on Bitwig? At the moment I have to constantly save any minor tweaks I make to a patch as presets, as within 2-3 minutes of messing around elsewhere on a project I'll come back to Kaleidoscope and it has reverted to minimum values for several of the settings (e.g. tuning sets itself to lowest possible value, image maps clear and get disabled). This doesn't happen with either of the other 2c-Audio plugins I own (Breeze & B2).

Also, I noticed some mentions of an update somewhere in the possibly-near future for KS? Any teasers you can drop yet :p?

Cheers

Improvising with three similar presets changing root notes and other things on the fly. ÜberMod and Relayer are providing the space to fly in. Input source is a mixture of rainmaker swishes and waterfall percussion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezDbq0895_U

Hez wrote:Hi Andrew,

Have you had a chance to look into the bug where Kaleidoscope loses all of its current patch settings frequently on Bitwig? At the moment I have to constantly save any minor tweaks I make to a patch as presets, as within 2-3 minutes of messing around elsewhere on a project I'll come back to Kaleidoscope and it has reverted to minimum values for several of the settings (e.g. tuning sets itself to lowest possible value, image maps clear and get disabled). This doesn't happen with either of the other 2c-Audio plugins I own (Breeze & B2).

Also, I noticed some mentions of an update somewhere in the possibly-near future for KS? Any teasers you can drop yet :p?

Cheers
I know Dennis was looking at this at one point. I stopped using Kaleidoscope in Bitwig in the meantime and just use it in Cubase now which also has also eliminated pops and clicks audio backend. Its also worse with certain audio interfaces in Bitwig as the audio engine can't seem to handle the plugin latency with certain ASIO buffer sizes... I don't know the technical details but I do know the same thing "just works" in Cubase.
SW: Cubase 9.5 | Komplete 11 | Omnisphere 2 | Perfect Storm 2.5 | Soundtoys 5
HW: Steinberg UR28M | Focal Alpha 50 | Fender Jazz Bass | Alesis VI25

Return to “Effects”