Ableton: quantizing a selection of notes from groove pool

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

When I try to quantize only a few notes of an already groove quantized pattern it quantizes the selected notes AND everything else...again. :dog:
Is this normal? Is there no way to quantize newly entered midi notes without affecting all the other notes in the clip?

Why add groove if you're then going to quantize the result? If you select a clip and then quantize it I would expect all notes to be quantized (unless I'm missing something here). If groove is applied I presume Live re-applies the groove. Are you highlighting only certain notes then quantizing? You say "it quantizes the selected notes AND everything else...again." What do mean by everything else?

If it's only a few notes you could just move them by hand maybe?

Maybe what's confusing you is that the result of Clip Groove does not actually show up visually in the MIDI Note Editor until you click "Commit" (and that it affects the whole clip until then).

Nope, you always quantize every note in the clip. Unless you have Push, but then you can't select the type of groove/swing you'd like to apply... (no, I'm not suggesting to get Push just for that feature ;) )
Ableton posted a few far-from-optimal workarounds, one of them was to make a copy of the clip, apply groove to one of the two clips, then merge them again (by copy/pasting the notes) to your liking. Can't recall where I saw this unfortunately.

Really? Thats nuts!!! :o
Why cant the groove pool be associated with the quantize function (Ctrl U) so you just quantize a swing where you want it in the clip? This is how Protools does it. I notice in the quantize 'settings' there isn't a swing option. Its a huge disadvantage if you produce music with a swing feel, having to rely on the groove pool.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”